1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 NCAA Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by gucci888, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

rumblings from Texas boosters?

2. Major

Major Member

Is LSU really a step up from FSU? Seems like a lateral move at best, and a much harder road to a championship.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Agreed, I don't see the appeal compared to FSU. Firing Miles I don't think is necessarily bad, but firing him this year - that would be bad.

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Is South Carolina the best fit for Miles? They're already used to a stale offense with weak QB development.

Maybe even VA tech?

5. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

If I'm Les, I go to VA Tech. He could build a power house that really only has to worry about Clemson and Florida State.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I suppose he'd keep Foster in that scenario. Might be a selling point. Still think Foster gets a shot.

7. jdh008

jdh008 Member

There are certainly legitimate criticisms of Les Miles and his tenure in Baton Rouge, not the least of which has been a consistent inability to develop quality quarterbacks.

But with that being said, his biggest "sins," to the extent that you can call them that is that he hasn't been able to beat Nick Saban and that he isn't Nick Saban. And if that's the bar to judge a head coach, just about everyone is going to fall short. The list of head coaches who are slam dunks to be better then Les Miles is really short, and I don't think any of those guys are going to come running to LSU.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Tulane?src=hash">#Tulane</a> is set to fire head coach Curtis Johnson, source tells <a href="https://twitter.com/FOXSports">@FoxSports</a>. 1st reported by USA Today.</p>&mdash; Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) <a href="https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/669722120440549376">November 26, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Apparently Herman has taken his name out for the SCar job and Va Tech is zeroing in on Fuentes.

10. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Never thought that it would come to this with Johnson at Tulane. When he first took over that program a few years ago, it looked like he really gave them an injection of life. They were in a bowl game in year two, they were recruiting better, and with the new stadium on campus, it looked like they were off and running. But they've kind of fallen on their faces in the last two seasons. Still, given how much trouble Tulane has had finding consistency as a program, I do wonder if they are pulling the plug on the Johnson regime a year too early.

What makes this story infinitely more interesting is the Fox Sports report (which you can read here) which mentions that among the potential candidates is.......wait for it......Rob Ryan.

1 person likes this.
  11. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Definitely looks like VT has really gone hard after Fuente. Gary Parrish, who is a local sports radio host in Memphis mentioned the other day that, and I'm paraphrasing slightly, VT has had Fuente holed up on their campus over the last few weeks. Obviously, that's not literally what's happening, but it probably means that he's spent quite a bit of time in Blacksburg of late.

12. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Looks like Les Miles is out following the game on Saturday.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Les Miles told the LSU Gridiron Club booster group on Friday that Saturday will be his last game, according to someone at the meeting.</p>&mdash; Glenn Guilbeau (@LSUBeatTweet) <a href="https://twitter.com/LSUBeatTweet/status/670344841864347650">November 27, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sounds like Fisher will take the LSU job. If true... seems kind of ungrateful to push out Bowden then leave for a slightly inferior program.

15. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Miles to Texas - that'd be an interesting scenario.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

LSU seems like the perfect spot for Herman.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If what you say is true, maybe Fisher is just ready for a change. He would definitely be an upgrade over Les Miles.

This would show LSU's decision-makers had the good sense to have a replacement in hand before canning Miles.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I cant see anyone other than Strong, Kelly or Saban coaching that team next year.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Agreed. Still hoping Strong can turn things around but when you see OSU, Michigan, and LSU replace their coaches with the likes of Urban, Harbaugh, and Fisher, it makes the Strong hire somewhat tougher to swallow. Not sure if Urban and Harbaugh were on board before the decision was made, but the timing was impeccable.

20. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Personally, just from an entertainment standpoint, it would be fun to see this whole thing blow up in LSU's face, forcing them to have to kind of scramble.

I still have a hard time believing that Jimbo would leave FSU for LSU, but he's certainly doing the best job possible of doing absolutely nothing to shoot down the rumors. When asked point blank about the possibility of leaving for Baton Rouge on his radio show the other day, he said, and this is a direct quote from the story on the Baton Rouge Advocate website “I’m happy where I’m at. I’m very happy here. I’ve got a great job. I love this place. It is a great place and it has been very good to me. Hopefully I will end up being very good to it.”

This is the equivalent of your spouse asking you point blank if you've been sleeping with someone else and you leading off with "Look, you know how much I love you..." Even if you haven't done anything wrong, beating around the bush is never going to come off as very convincing.