1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 NCAA Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by gucci888, Oct 12, 2015.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Summy has always been Hollywood. Snoop Dogg ain't showing up in College Station with a Kyle Allen jersey on anytime soon.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya I was surprised with the Strong mention as well but he was DC there for 3 years and apparently the AD is high on him. Take it for what it's worth, but what a difference 1 week can make.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sure... but Strong isn't leaving one of the best jobs in sports for... SC? Mack Brown actually makes a lot more sense.

4. Buck Turgidson

Unless UT fires him, Charlie Strong has about as much of a shot at coaching SC as Jackie Sherrill does.

5. gucci888

Ya it was just rumored that SC may reach out but Strong won't leave on his own. Interesting thought on Mack though...

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Southern Cal
    Kyle Whittingham +350
    Chip Kelly +600
    Brian Harsin+600
    Tom Herman +700
    Justin Fuente +700
    Clay Helton +800
    Jack Del Rio +800
    Chris Petersen +900
    Brian Kelly +900
    Kevin Sumlin +1100
    Gary Patterson +1100
    Mark Dantonio +1500

South Carolina
    Kirby Smart +250
    Shawn Elliott +300
    Justin Fuente +400
    Ed Orgeron +400
    Jeff Brohm +700
    Matt Campbell +800
    Mark Hudspeth +800
    Matt Wells +1200
    Mark Dantonio +2000

7. gucci888

Don't see either Kelly or Sumlin leaving but those would be home run hires. Whittingham makes a lot of sense, knows the conference and already recruits California heavily.

8. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Don't think Saban is going back to the NFL. He has a better chance of coming to Texas than he does of going to the NFL IMO.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, it's hard to envision. I think most of what we've heard about Saban combined with some logic would point to there being no real chance.

What I can see though, is Irsay making the pitch. Irsay writing a check big enough. And Saban understanding how special and rare it is to get an opportunity to coach a QB of Andrew Luck's caliber.

Maybe he brought in Kiffin to prepare for the next step. How do you say no to Andrew Luck?

10. gucci888

There were some rumblings that Saban wasn't happy anymore at Bama. I have no idea whether its true but think he would actually give the NFL another shot rather than move onto another school. No other school will have the starting talent that he has right now and at 63, I wonder how much he would want to put into recruiting and getting those kids developed.

And if the opportunity to coach Luck presents itself like Ziggy posted, I think he'd have to seriously consider it if he is thinking about making any move.

11. Major

Major Member

Not sure that Saban is really an NFL coach - he wins by out-talenting everyone with the #1 recruiting class every year, and that's not an advantage he'll have in the NFL. I know more college coaches are translating to the NFL now, but he doesn't seem to be the "do more with less" type as much as the "do more with more" type.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I thought the trajectory Saban had Miami on (non-personnel wise) looked fine to me. He's a defensive coach, not an offensive coach like a lot of the new college blood.

Saban, like Superbowl winner, Pete Carroll has the pedigree for it, unlike a Chip Kelly who doesn't really have any NFL ties (not saying Kelly is a failure).

I think Saban can coach in the NFL if he concentrates on coaching and has the right offense in place. But who knows, it doesn't matter, all that matters is if Irsay is interested. And it seems like he might be.

13. gucci888

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I asked Mack Brown if he would be interested in the SC job. &quot;I'd love to talk to them&quot; Listen to his full response: <a href="http://t.co/w65mgf5VQ2">http://t.co/w65mgf5VQ2</a></p>&mdash; Paul Finebaum (@finebaum) <a href="https://twitter.com/finebaum/status/654783457885712384">October 15, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Doubt they will show interest back but would be interesting none the less.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Like I mentioned earlier, it actually makes some sense.

15. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure they could get anyone else with his track record. And given his past success at North Carolina, it seems like he could recruit the area very well.

16. gucci888

Guess it depends on the direction they want to go. They got a lot of publicity by hiring Spurrier and Mack would bring the same for the most part. From a pure football standpoint, think they'd be better off going after Smart or another hot shot coordinator in hopes of striking gold.

17. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

That would also be interesting given the history between Mack and Spurrier.

If I were South Carolina, I would look in a different direction. Looking at the end of his time at Texas, I just don't think Mack has it in him.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If I'm SC a Mack Brown is exactly what I want. And what they've been known to covert - OBC/Holtz.

It's not easy to recruit or even be relevant at SC. Brown brings those things. He can convince talent to play for SC, you just need to find him the right staff. And even if you don't, Mack Brown is still a plus for the school.

Good up and coming coaches cant win at SC IMO. I'd make my priority acquiring talent, not X's & O's.

Mississippi State was like the best case scenario case study. Get a solid gameplan in place, finally recruit your guys (but not 5 stars) and you scrap together 1 decent season in 10.

19. gucci888

Mack changed the recruiting game at Texas and reaped the benefits of being the big dog in a super fertile recruiting field. But I'm not sure he has enough in the tank to go head to head with Saban, Miles, Sumlin, Freeze, Richt, Jones, etc...

20. gucci888

No way Harbaugh screws his alma mater like this but the Colts job will draw some serious interest from both college and pros.