1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2015 NBA Draft/1-18] Sam Dekker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 25, 2015.

?

Do you like the pick?

1. YES

539 vote(s)
    77.7%
  2. NO

155 vote(s)
    22.3%
  1. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

Stop doubting morey man lol. Hard to believe people still question his moves. Dekker is a steal

2. bmd

bmd Member

How can they grade the pick a "D" when nobody knows how any of these players will do in the NBA.

Morey obviously would grade his draft an "A".

Who am I to believe? Morey or some CBS Sports guy?

Not that anybody can see the future anyway...

3. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

I honestly don't know at this point how the Rockets are going to find another playmaker. I guess if Tyus maybe slips to 32nd, we still have a chance, but I still think the Rockets should've selected Jerian when they had the opportunity. If were gonna go to the whole "They wanted a shooter" argument, they should've drafted one with their 32nd pick, like Jerian's sharpeshoter teammate.

4. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Morey would start 5 forwards if he could.

5. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

I can't claim to know much about Dekker, but IF we do have a significant expectation that Llull is coming over, it would be stupid to pick a PG. If they really like Dekker (and had him rated highly enough to contribute), it just gives us more options for deals.

If we get to opening day and our PG situation hasn't changed significantly, I'll second guess it. But it is WAY too early for too much sentiment either way.

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wisconsin + Houston = beast! <a href="http://t.co/qkUNbzUR0v">pic.twitter.com/qkUNbzUR0v</a></p>&mdash; SportsNation (@SportsNation) <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsNation/status/614247738964881408">June 26, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Honestly, I didn't want him, but I am ok with it because Ariza can mentor him.

8. OpenLayup-Why3?

Do we have picks beyond 32nd? Kinda getting sleepy at 4:50AM

9. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

lol white guys are always compared to other white guys. so racist

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]Mannix: A year after losing Chandler Parsons, Houston picks a guy who could develop into a similar player. Concerns about Dekker’s shooting are real, but he wowed execs in recent workouts and there is a strong belief around the league that if he can become a threat from deep, he is a 10-year starter. Dekker is built like an NBA player. He can post up, run the floor and is a strong athlete. If he puts in the work, he’s a steal here.

During his junior season with the Badgers in 2014–15, Dekker averaged 13.9 points, 5.5 rebounds and 31 minutes per game.

Dekker helped lead Wisconsin to a national title game appearance, though the Badgers lost to Duke.

In the NCAA tournament, the Badgers notably dispatched a 38–0 Kentucky team in the Final Four. Dekker scored a career-high 27 point in the team's Elite Eight game against No. 1 seed Arizona. He went 5 of 6 from 3-point range in that game.

Strengths: Dekker’s ability to score combined with his quality athleticism and ability to guard several positions make him a good fit for the NBA. He’s been a streaky three-point shooter in the past, but if he becomes more consistent beyond the arc, he’ll have a well-rounded offensive game that could lend itself to playing the four in small-ball situations. Given his size and tools on the defensive end (the one knock is that his wingspan is a relatively short 6’11”), it’s easy to see Dekker, a highly intelligent, competitive player, having a long career as a useful role player, if not more.

Weaknesses: A lot of Dekker’s success hinges on the sustainability of his shooting. While there’s no reason to believe he won’t be able to improve his stroke, his skill package is far less attractive and versatile if the three-ball doesn’t become a reliable part of his arsenal. He’s good, not great, with the ball in his hands and there’s the aforementioned issue of his short arms. These are all nitpicky criticisms, and Dekker would appear to be a fairly safe choice. He’ll go as far as his jumper can take him.

<a class="ftb-widget" data-height="400" data-playerid="f75e79a3-b9f8-4541-b75e-fb5477c3600f" data-title="Sam Dekker Shot Chart" data-widget-id="4DFFmh9tOAt" data-width="600" href="http://ncaa-basketball-players.pointafter.com/l/1671/Sam-Dekker" style="font:10px/14px arial;color:#3d3d3d;" target="_blank">Sam Dekker Shot Chart | PointAfter</a>[/rQUOTEr]

#90 J.R., Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I watched the Wisconsin - Duke game, but for the life of me I don't remember Dekker playing...

12. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I like it

13. ling ling

ling ling Member

Morey leaked false info to catch the mole ;)

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Wright over tyus jones.....

All yall need to stfu.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Has Basketballholic gone crazy yet? Rockets may have gotten a stretch 4 if he can defend 4s.

16. Sanity2disChaos

Hope hes the the basketball version of JJ......Waaaaaaaatttt!!!

17. liveguy

liveguy Member

And LMFAO @ "can't shoot"

They serious?

They clearly didn't watch the tourney.

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

We did just make the WCF bro smh. We have james harden no pg not even cp3 is gonna take the ball out of his hands he's a top 4 player in the entire world. You really think grant or jones were gonna come in here and take the ball out of hardens hands? C'mon man we live and die with harden running the show and so far it's been pretty dean good. We need playmaking to help him but not a rookie late first rounder that's for sure.

1 person likes this.
  19. Da34Box

Da34Box Member

Like Michael Jordan?

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Definitely like this pick. Great physical tools. Surprised we took him over a couple other guys, but good pick nonetheless.