1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 max money watch. Salary cap now projected at $66.5mil

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

If you can SnT for Love/Aldridge or lure Melo over, there's no reason to stay flexible. What more could he hope to accomplish in 2015? Lebron ain't coming and neither is Durant if we wins a ring in the meantime, which might happen.

We'll just have to wait and see.

2. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

I could see Melo joining up if we have a good playoff run. I would much rather have Kevin Love tho . . .

but I would rather have Melo that Aldridge.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

I stated that my numbers may be off. Basically I couldn't be definitive with the exact % for cap hold based on Larry Coon's CBA FAQ. So I used the the most pessimistic number, which is 250% of their previous salaries. If their numbers are what BimaThug wrote, then the Rockets simply have flat out MAX money to offer Aldridge or Love without sacrificing their core of Beverley/Parsons/Jones/Howard/Harden. And that should either player be willing to take a slight paycut, the Rockets may even be able to keep their 1st round pick(s) this year and next on the roster.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Morey has already made sacrifices in the Asik dealings by unwilling to sacrifice 2015 capspace on mediocre players. The question you ask yourself is whether anyone in next year's FA that you can get for long-term MLE money will move the needle. Make us a tier better as a team. I'm not sure anyone is available at that price.

For example, look at the Clippers with Reddick at $7mil/yr and the Spurs with Bellinelli at $3mil/yr. Are there really a lot of difference there? The Rockets can look for an older, stop-gap player like a Delfino on the market who can produce decently without sacrificing long term capspace. They couldn't this offseason because they didn't even have money for a Delfino type player.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

2015 is all well and good, but if you can get a Lowry or Melo this offseason, I wouldn't pass that up for just a shot at Love/LMA.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

FYI: Based on my calculations, if the 2015-16 cap meets current projections and comes in right at $66.5 million (and assuming that player benefits stay relatively flat over the next two years), then the 2015 max salaries for both Kevin Love and LaMarcus Aldridge will be approximately $18.7 million.

Carry on.

7. Yellow

Yellow Member

Please no Melo!!!

8. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

Aldridge is an inefficient shot chucking machine who plays no defense and only gets weakside rebounds.

LOVE PLEASE.

9. MrVengeance

MrVengeance Member

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Okay. So our numbers match in this regards at least.

1 person likes this.
  11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks for the numbers and then the corrections.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

what's portland's situation with LMA? They can afford to max him out, if they want, right?

Could they give the max to Love, if they don't keep LMA?

13. Nook

Nook Member

This.

14. Raven

Raven Member

The further the Rockets advance, the easier it will be to get the 3rd star.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

You can always max out your own FA.

And I don't see Love going to Portland. Isn't he a California guy? If he wants winning, there are better places than Portland. If he likes to be back home, it should be the Lakers.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

How much can they offer Love though? Love actually grew up in Oregon. He was born in Cali, but left soon after. I do think he wants to be back in Cali, but I'm surprised there's no talk of him being interested in Portland, if LMA leaves.

i guess what i meant was, what's portland situation with LMA, as it relates to building a contender? If they have flexibility, then Love could have some interest. Lillard will only get better.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Opening Post Edited to account for new cap hold numbers for Beverley and Parsons. Basically the major difference is that the Rockets can fit their 1st round picks(this year and next year) within the cap and still have max capspace. This can be quite crucial from a depth standpoint.

Oh, they can certainly have the cap room to sign Love if they want. The max they give is same as everyone else though. There will defintely be a lot of teams with capspace next offseason. But I would be hard pressed to find one who can offer Harden, Howard, Parsons, Jones, Beverley as teammates. Portland, for example counter with Batum, Lillard, Mathews, CJ McCollum, Robinson as their core pieces. Possibly Lopez if they re-sign him.