1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015: Clowney

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, May 8, 2015.

1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Dude looks great, but these type of comments aren't a good sign.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well can you really blame him? They have him cut 15 lbs and then tell him to move inside against bigger guys LOL. I mean, it's good that he's willing to do whatever it takes to help the team win but doing the dirty work to help others get stats isn't the most fun work.

3. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I don't blame him at all. I actually agree with him.

Regardless, he should not be saying stuff like that to the public.

4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Those comments make me wonder if he'll tell his agent find him the highest 4-3 bidder when his rookie contract is up. Or just take the highest bidder ala Mario W. Time will tell if he's looking for team success or just looking out for himself just like Mario.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I imagine they'll talk contract next year and see if he's willing to sign a lesser deal with a lot of guaranteed money or if he wants to play for the 5th year option. If he plays for the 5th year option, I would expect either a big deal after that or for the Texans to franchise him.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

His stats probably won't back it up, but his agent will push for him to join the 100mill defensive players club like JJ. Don't think the Texans are looking to pay that with Brock prolly still on the team with his contract and DHop looking for his big payday, plus of course JJ. Franchise tag for DE is around 15mill and 14mill for LB so maybe JD wants to stay inside (depending on how JD is doing up to that point, don't think the Texans are willing to pay that either). They may just let JD walk and take to comp picks ala Mario.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would think they would want to keep the Watt and Clowney thing going as long as possible. They already have JJ locked up, I would think they'd do what they could to keep Clowney.

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I'm sure they want too also, until JD's agent tells them "we want the same numbers as [insert highest paid defensive player at that point]".

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well if they don't pay up, their window will close. I would think they'd pay.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Unless Clowney proves he can play 16 games over a couple seasons, he's not worth the risk at that price. Plus, he plays a position that can be easily replaced via the draft...maybe not up to his level, but decent replacement. There is a reason the Patriots keep getting rid of star players before their contract comes up...because most guys just arent worth 80+ million. They trade them away for a high draft pick and get them replaced fairly easily the following year.

1 person likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You can't get Clowney's production via the draft unless you are planning to suck.

12. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

My friends why are we even talking about his contract status. He will be with the Texans at the very least through 2018.

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

You're ready to pay an injury prone table setter one of the highest paid defensive players? Last time I checked no teams have 2 players in the top ten highest paid defensive players list but you're ready to break the mold. Safe to assume your real name isn't Chris Olsen.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

By "table setter" you of course mean "one of the most dominant defensive players in the NFL"....and yes. The Texans would be foolish to let Clowney get away and go back to

[​IMG]

15. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

He's off to a promising start this year but pump the brakes a little. Playing a whole season is an accomplishment in itself. And good luck with the future salary cap.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Will depend on how he does the next couple years

We'll treat him like Hopkins, who doesn't have an extension yet

17. rezdawg

Clowney hasnt really proven or produced anything...like I said, he should show he can play consistently without getting hurt. Give me 14+ games. And you dont need to draft someone that produces at that level...getting a little less production at 1/5 of the price is better value...and the savings can be spent in other areas to improve.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you think that, you haven't been paying attention.

19. Buck Turgidson

All he needs to prove is that he can stay on the field.

20. rezdawg

Nobody will pay him 100+ million if he isnt on the field. He's got a lot to prove (staying healthy).