1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 CFP National Championship: (2)Oregon vs. (4)Ohio State

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Jan 1, 2015.

?

(2)Oregon vs. (4)Ohio State

Poll closed Jan 11, 2015.
  1. Oregon

72.7%
  2. Ohio State

27.3%
  1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

This game shows why the playoffs need to be expanded. Many people thought TCU should have been selected as the fourth team over Ohio State for the playoffs. You can't always narrow it down to four teams. Expand the playoffs. More fun for everyone.

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I think 8 team expansive is inevitable at some point down the line, but 4 team is a very good start. 8 team would be just perfect.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Mariota's stock dropped a lot in my opinion. At least he can make it up on his pro day.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've advocated an 8-team playoff since the BCS started, but now that the first 4-team playoff is finished, I'm undecided if 8 teams would be better.

Other than having the championship game one week after the "semifinals" instead of the 2nd Monday following, things were close to perfect.

The effect the CFP had on regular regular season drama and discussion was fantastic. The doubleheader on January 1st was one of greatest days in college football history. The only mistake was waiting 11 days to play the championship game.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Mark Helfrich had some terrible body language in the days leading up to this game. Look back on the Storm interview with him and Meyer basically on the same coach. Super awkward for Helfrich, as if he knew he was in over his head.

That's hindsight, yes, but I was kind of worried about it. Still thought Oregon would win that game though.

Whoever said it was like 4 and 5* recruits playing 3* recruits, that sums up what it looked like in the trenches. Too bad it was such a lame game for the championship.

6. Major

Major Member

With 4 teams, every game matters and 1 loss can eliminate you. With 8 teams, everyone gets a free mulligan and then everyone is debating what 2-loss teams deserve to get in. That really does water down the regular season.

7. Major

Major Member

How was it a lame game? It was a one possession game until the last 10 minutes. We've had a lot of much uglier title games, including 2012 and 2013, neither of which were ever competitive.

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Very entertaining game. Kind of like a flashy fighter who comes out swinging and eventually gets worn down by persistent body shots.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I hear you, and I enjoyed 2.5 quarters or so, but it was clear pretty early that Oregon's D line and linebackers couldn't do *anything* with the Ohio State offense. So the only tension was (for me) like: (1) why are you PUNTING, Oregon?!, and (2) will tOSU turn it over again?

It just felt incredibly uneven in the trenches and really overall. Without those turnovers, it might have been more like 56-10.

10. Asian Sensation

Outclassed, outplayed, out coached. Hats off to Buckeyes.

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

#131 ipaman, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

13. likestohypeguy

I hope they keep it at four.

That's already twice as fair as it's ever been, but still not a big enough field too drag out too long or for a random low tier team on a hot streak to burn through. The main thing it gets at least the few obvious choices a chance, 4 vs. 2, it's okay if you put in a questionalble undefeated team. I was among those angry about ohio state getting in after their huge jump because of no conference championship, but obviously that's out the window after their first round. Proved the committee knows what they're doing, still provides lots controversy (as there'd be with any number), but still makes the regular season matter with four vs. 6 or 8 where most of them would have a loss or losses. Still have just a little build up to the championship, a few bowl games really matter. One of the most enjoyable years of it to me.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I heard Oregon ran into a practice reps thing because their school started before Ohio State
    With 8 this will be even more of an issue

Rocket River

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota will announce today that he is indeed turning pro, eligible for 2015 NFL draft, per sources.</p>&mdash; Chris Mortensen (@mortreport) <a href="https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/555446060924289024">January 14, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

how far will he drop in the draft? I wonder if Chip Kelly would pick him up

17. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

I like the idea of expanding the playoff to 6 teams.

Give No. 1 and No. 2 a bye and let 3 play 6 and 4 play 5 .

No. 1 plays the lowest remaining seed and No. 2 plays the other winner.

You'd only conceivably be adding two additional games or an extra week for the national title game. Would give 2 extra teams a chance to compete for a national championship and would reward teams who finish in the top 2 with automatic berths into the National Semifinals.