1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 24, 2014.

1. baubo

baubo Member

I personally find Kiley McDaniels' prospect write-up to be the most helpful. Because he discuss them not in a "this is where he ranks" kind of way. But actually talks in detail about the intricacies of tool grades and varying opinions.

His writeup on Colin Moran was just absolutely fascinating, and deeper than anything I've read about any prospect from any site before.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/evaluating-the-prospects-houston-astros/

2. Nook

Nook Member

Probably.

Obviously if the draft were right now, I would take Bryant over Appel. Having said that, Appel has very good stuff and very good secondary pitches... I would not be shocked if he has a better career than Bryant.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hmm... I would... and I never second-guessed the pick.

Bryant is currently expected to be HOF-level good... while there are still question marks about whether Appel will make it in the big leagues, let alone succeed, let alone succeed at a HOF level (right now, more would say he's a #2-#3 max vs. an ace).

Based on pure current expectations, it would be shocking... but if something else happens it'll be more because anything can happen with prospects and thus nothing would really shock you about anything at anytime (i.e. - 20th round picks routinely become MVP/HOF type players, etc.).

5. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

I will be floored if Appel has a better career than Bryant.

I hope it happens... But, it won't.

6. Nook

Nook Member

I doubt either Bryant or Appel are Hall of Fame type players when it is all said and done. Ultimately there are very few players that are that good.

I would certainly take Bryant over Appel if the draft was right now, and wouldn't hesitate. However, I would not be floored if Appel becomes a better pro long term. I think Appel is more talented than many people believe, and while I think Bryant will hit with lots of power, I do not think he is an A-Rod or Griffey level prospect where you know physically they will be able to overcome any weaknesses or issues.

I would be shocked if Appel never makes the big leagues.

7. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I've been waiting on this for a long time. The Astros fell towards the back end of the list this year. Wasn't disappointed.

The system has taken some grief recently for lacking high end talent (some dues to graduation, some to trades), but he reminds us that the sheer depth is incredible.

I smirked when 9-16 (with the exception of Teo at 10) were all advanced college bats.

8. xcrunner51

Agreed, I wouldn't be shocked if Appel has the better career.

I think people underrate the adjustments he'll have to make and other weaknesses like the ability to stick at 3rd. In particular I expect Bryant's contact and strikeout rates to be much worse than people think. He's not gonna make the all-star game right off the bat.

Conversely Appel gets overly knocked for facing adversity early when he hasn't lost anything off his stuff.

9. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

love the props he gave to derek fisher... "possibly one of the steals of the ’14 draft."... that says a lot considering he was a sandwich pick.

fisher has the chance to speed race through the minors & could end up as the best player in the '14 draft.

10. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

This is funny to me. I'm sure you're saying that somewhat facetiously, but the kid just posted a 33% K rate between AA-AAA. He can mash but ML pitchers will make him look silly often.

Appel faced some unexpected adversity, tons of criticism, and responded incredibly after the promotion to Corpus and in the AFL. I have more faith in him to succeed than ever.

It's natural to compare them but completely pointless. Both are poised for successful careers and if Appel settles in as a #2 or #3 SP and has some playoff success none of us will care what Bryant does.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

Also the Cub effect, IMO. I love Bryant. I think he's incredible. But he's getting major media coverage because its CHI Correa doesn't get the same attention as Bryant, and I think he'll be way better.

Granted, only time will tell.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In this post-apocalyptic hitting era, where everybody is going to be seeing more and more strikeouts, less HR's, and lower batting averages... kids that are doing what Bryant is expected to do are going to be thought of pretty highly.

I'm definitely rooting for Appel... and like I said earlier, I thought he was the right pick... but right now, there's no possible way he has a higher upside or ceiling than Bryant (just like any projected #2 or #3 pitcher is not going to have the upside of a potential franchise player)

I also don't buy the "he faced a lot of adversity" argument.... a lot of it was self-depreciating (didn't feel he should have to prove himself at A ball, underestimated how ready/recovered he'd have to be to pitch at the Hanger, and it took a undeserved promotion/change of scene to get him out of his rut). He's certainly an opinionated and likely tough SOB... takes a lot of balls to turn down more than a million dollars because you feel you're better than that.

Maybe Appel turns out better overall thanks to the Lancaster experience... but the Astros admittedly made a mistake in the way they handled his first full season.

13. xcrunner51

I actually tend to put some positive spin on it. He finished strong last season after making adjustments. That's a good thing for player/personal development. The guy thats so good that he dominates every level of the minors often struggles having to make adjustments for the first time at the ML level.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I find it pretty ridiculous to suggest and prospect is a sure thing to be better. Appel could be an all-star level pitcher, or a complete flame out, same thing with Bryant. Now Bryant certainly looks to have the brighter future right now, but neither guy has done anything in the show yet.

History is littered with prospects that were supposed to be HOF good. Would I trade Appel for Bryant, yes. Would I be surprised if Appel ended up better, certainly not.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Keith Law ranks the Astros farm system as 'third best'.

1. Chicago(NL)
    2. Minnesota
    3. Houston
    4. NY Mets
    5. Boston
    6. Atlanta
    7. Pittsburgh
    8. Colorado
    9. Washington
    10. LA Dodgers
    11. Texas
    12. Chicago(AL)
    13. St. Louis
    14. Arizona
    15. Kansas City
    16. Cleveland
    17. Cincinnati
    18. San Diego
    19. Toronto
    20. NY Yankees
    21. Seattle
    22. Baltimore
    23. Tampa Bay
    24. Miami
    25. Philadelphia
    26. Oakland
    27. LA Angels
    28. Milwaukee
    29. San Francisco
    30. Detroit

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lfL7D27iKxc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Keith Law posted his top 100; could someone post the Astros parts? Part 1 and Part 2

Astros had Correa at #3, Appel at #44, Velasquez at #56, Moran at #73 and Phillips #76. Love that Phillips got some love here.

Note: Folty was ranked #42 and Ruiz was #93

19. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Fixed.

20. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I am probably getting greedy here, but can someone please post just a list of the entire top 100? If so, I would greatly appreciate it. It not, no worries.