1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015/2016 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rox1, Jun 17, 2015.

1. The Stig

The Stig Member

I'll go with the guys who I think will slot in the first teams as I don't know much about youth players. Note: I'm a United fan so this may have a bias level when it comes to Liverpool players.

Danny Ings: Primarily a poacher, slightly above average linkup skill, and very workhorse-like. Kind of like Chicharito but younger and worse. Still room for improvement if Pep Rodgers plays him. Think he will compete with Balotelli for a backup spot. Hasn't been proven on this level but transfer fee is reasonable, especially for a young Englishman.

Nathaniel Clyne: arguably the most talented RB in England, very good defensively, average going forward with tons of pace to burn. Think this is Liverpool's best signing of the summer. No more Glen "what's tracking back?" Johnson and Emre Can playing out of position. He was the one guy I wanted United to buy but they just weren't interested. I'd say he's Glen Johnson with the actual ability to defend.

James Milner: Another workhorse, not the flashiest player out there but will put in the shift and do the dirty work so teammates can go forward with confidence. Passing is a bit underrated IMO, never really see him put a wrong foot on long and short passes. Give him consistency, and he's probably going to be your 2nd best midfielder behind Henderson. Age is probably the only issue but it's not a dealbreaker. Milner is under-appreciated for club and country but I think you lot will be happy with him. 2nd best signing after Clyne.

Roberto Firmino: Don't know too much so you'll have to ask our CF German counterparts but here's what I know. most expensive signing of the summer, the Brazilian talisman is probably the biggest gamble Liverpool took this summer. Tricky and tremendous vision, this could be the Sterling replacement. Foreign players take time to adjust so the book is still open with the lad. He could be your best or worst signing of the summer so fans may have to be patient with him. Wouldn't be surprised if he came out firing on day 1 though.

Pardon the grammar errors as it's the longest post I've ever made. :eek:

1 person likes this.
  2. The Stig

The Stig Member

Valencia may still start on day 1 to give Darmian time to adjust. Darmian is brought in to be RB. Can't see him play anywhere else either.

Rafael is gone I think. Such a shame because I really rate him but his rashness and injury records ruined him. Hope he finds a stable club in a less physical league. Be a very good pickup for a Spanish team.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Firmino will be your best player soon, this guy has everything you need and has been killing it in Bundesliga and for Brazil. Extremely creative, great vision, good shot, skilled, athletic.
    Can play at any offensive midfield position.

1 person likes this.
  4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Repped for the awesome summaries of the player talents: Jontro, Yung-T, and The Stig.

Also, **** Sterling. He used to be my favorite player. Now he's just a greedy b****. :(

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Read something about Raheem today, he supposedly said it's not about money or Liverpool, he wants to leave because of Rodgers. Apparently hates dealing with and playing for him.

6. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Good descriptions of the signings fellas. Couldnt have done it any better myself.

The fallout between Raheem and BR must have been crazy. All of are signings have said great things about BR even Steven gave tremendous praise for him before he left. I just wonder if this is a one time thing or will Sterling be a headcase for the rest of his career.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Well that's a shame. :(

8. The Stig

The Stig Member

Is this all Raheem's work or is his agent still pulling this nonsense? I still have him going to City and Liverpool is going to get £40m-£50m for him.

I reread my post about your new signings and was amazed how objective I was! It probably wouldn't happen again.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

Sterling is a little POS. For someone who hasn't achieved much, he sure has a lot of talk. He can be a cancer somewhere else and I hope he fails miserably. and he still runs like a girl.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I know some defenders who find him annoying and wouldn't mind punishing him a little bit...of course not in a way to injure him, but... :cool:

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Rummenigge today said he'll have a meeting with Schweinsteiger when he comes back from vacation. Also said that Schweinsteiger told him he's flattered by ManU's interest.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's all part of a negotiation, including interviews like that.

But perhaps Rummenigge should remember that when Klinsmann was there, they were ready to sell Basti and replace him with...drum roll...Aleksandar Hleb. That would have been a huge mistake. Bayern would not have been as successful had they done that.

We'll see.

13. The Stig

The Stig Member

I wonder if United is holding off on Schneiderlin until Schweinsteiger decides whether or not to stay? As much as I like Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin would be a much better fit for this United team. When are the Munich players back from the holidays?

14. hmurry5

hmurry5 Member

I saw on Goetze's instagram that he's going back to Munich on July 11th to train so I'm guessing everyone will be back around that time.

And yeah I'd be thrilled if United signed Schweinsteiger, but I know Schneiderlin would probably better for the team. I'd love to have both though haha. We'd have an awesome holding midfield.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

Please don't. They can do it to Sterling all they want, injury be damned.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Schweinsteiger to ManU done deal, according to BILD and other German news.

20mil transfer fee, two year contract.

Expected it, sad to see him go. On the other Hand, he looked out of place in many games this season, not if he can still compete on the highest level due to his body.

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Not sure if*
    damn phone

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

19. The Stig

The Stig Member

Don't say that. I'm hoping for a Schweinsteiger revival when he gets to Old Trafford. Excited but iffy. Wanted Schneiderlin instead and watch Bastian finish his career at Munich. Would've never thought he would leave.

20. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

Happy with Schweini, Darmian and Depay so far. Replacing the deadwood and getting a more balanced squad is well on its way.

Bastian is a gamble at this stage, I bet his brother is happy about this move though. Hopefully he has a couple more good years left in the tank.

United still need another holding midfielder imo since Carrick is up there in age and don't think Blind has the quality to be a full time starter, another central defender and even a striker is needed to compete next year.