1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014] What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ScriboErgoSum, Jan 22, 2014.

1. amaru

amaru Member

There was a country- Chinua Achebe

2. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been working on Underworld by Don Delilo for months - another book where not much happens but I'll keep working on it until I finish. Maybe.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Finished up the first Thomas Covenant book. I'd give it a C. I have a weird thing about reading dated 'modern' books with in-era idiosyncrasies and memes. I understand what the characters are saying but I just don't like it. Every time Covenant would say 'forget it!' I would cringe. He's really a Debbie Downer and I just don't see the point. I tried to read book two but shelved it.

After Covenant I went back to good ol' Hugh Howey. This guy is prolific and I haven't read a word of his I didn't like.

[​IMG]

Like his other stuff, Howey's Sand is phenomenal. It's about far-flung future in North America where the entire landmass is covered with sand. They have tech that allows them to vibrate and 'swim' in the sand, and the divers go down to retrieve lost relics of ancient times. It's filled with Howey's trademark fantastic characterization and follows a family of divers. Highly recommended. A

[​IMG]

Not satisfied with one Howey book, I started reading his I, Zombie. I actually started reading this last year but stopped when I discovered his other books. This book examines the inner monologue of Zombies; they're fully aware of what's going on but have no control of their bodies. What's worse is that they feel pain and hunger. It's very explicit and not for the easily nauseated. I really enjoyed the different twist on zombie stories as you see the story unfold from the antagonists point of view. Written more for shock value and character examination than actual storytelling, I would recommend it to horror/zombie fans or Howey fans. B+

[​IMG]

I finally picked up Daniel Suarez's Daemon after years of cajoling to read it by a good friend and seeing it mentioned multiple times in these threads.

I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm an IT veteran and the technical side of this book is on point. Much of the first half occurs in Houston and Suarez nails his descriptions (except it being cold in October, which made me laugh). It's a little dated; I looked it up and you can tell it was written mid-2000s (flip phones, haha). Still, it's very good and the story is unique and engrossing. I really like the little details and nuances that Suarez adds in. He either has a great editor or is very detail oriented. Although I'm not through with the book I'm planning on reading at least another book of his unless he completely loses me in the second half of the book.

4. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Very difficult read - characterized by a rewriting of the epic conventions and stream of consciousness. Pound wrote it as a vehicle for voicing criticisms of World War I and its effects.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This book is sublime. Wow. Best book I've read in a long, long time.

[​IMG]

Reading Freedom TM now.

6. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I'll be curious to see what you think of Freedom TM, and I'll have to try some Hugh Howey. I haven't been reading as much the past year, but that's starting to change finally.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Good, we need you around here to keep this thing afloat on a consistent basis.

Ive only read 4 books this year, but two of them have been pretty long, since I usually dont read books more than 300-400 pages.

In any case, Ive read And the Mountains Echoed, The Goldfinch, 1984, and 11/22/63.

Currently reading Slaughterhouse Five. And, to be honest, I think Im just not into classics. 1984 was good, but definitely didnt meet the hype in my eyes...and Slaughterhouse seems to be taking the same route. Just looking forward to finishing it so I can say I read it, and then moving onto something that I actually want to read.

The other 3 books Ive read have all been excellent, specially 11/22/63, which was a page turner, despite being 850 pages.

#87 rezdawg, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  8. droopy421

droopy421 Member

9. dmc89

dmc89 Member

"Matter and Memory" by Henri Bergson

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Have you ever read The Tragedy of Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare?

I could never get past a 44 BC Roman speaking 1600 English.

;)

11. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I just read The Story of Edward Sawtelle (finished it 10 minutes ago)

I want to punch the author in the face.

If you run out of ideas for an ending for your book, don't steal the ending from one of the most recognizable pieces of literature ever.

Jesus. I want my time back.

12. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Just started The Sparrow

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Besides quickly finishing The Martian, I finished Stone Spring, by Stephen Baxter. The first of a trilogy (I'm starting Bronze Summer now), it's "what if" science fiction, with the premise being the development of a highly advanced civilization in the "Northland" between Britain and the Continent, an area now at the bottom of the North Sea, but one that was actually dry land after the end of the last ice age. As the ice melted, the ocean level rose and eventually submerged it, but Baxter's idea is that the civilization fought the rising sea by building dykes to hold back the water, and were able to do that for over a thousand years. Obviously, it makes one think of the Netherlands, one of my favorite places, but on a much vaster scale, with not nearly the technology. While Baxter won't win a Pulitzer for his prose, I enjoyed the read. If you enjoy the alternate history genre with at least the possibility of some of it having actually taken place (the civilization in that area, not the enormous dykes that are built in the series, IMO), then you might like this series.

I also bought Steven Saylor's most recent addition to his Roma Sub Rosa series of mysteries, Raiders of the Nile, featuring that Roman detective, Gordianus the Finder. Saylor has gone back to the youth of Gordianus for his stories recently, when he spent time in Greece and Egypt. If you enjoy mysteries and enjoy historical fiction, and love fiction about the Roman era, you will have a hard time finding a series better than this. If any of you are interested, the first novel about Gordianus, citizen of Rome and himself the son of a Finder (what they call a detective back then), read Roman Blood, Saylor's first. You are very likely to get hooked on Saylor's stuff. It doesn't hurt that some very famous figures from the days of Sulla and Caesar frequently appear in the novels.

I also finished Cain at Gettysburg, by Ralph Peters. Liked The Killer Angels, by Michael Shaara? You have to read this! It is excellent.

14. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

This sound interesting. Any plans of gooing to the Netherlands soon Deckard? If so let me know so we can grab a drink together. I didn't know you also achieved Hakeem status, well deserved IMHO.

I'm currently reading:
    [​IMG]
    It is ok,giving me a Erikson fix untill his new book.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Quite possibly making the journey in about a year or 18 months, arno_ed. My daughter is graduating from high school in a few weeks and then going away to college in the Fall. After that happens, my significant other is looking to finally leave her job with the state and either retire, or simply do something else. She'll likely make that move during the summer of next year. Regardless, we'll have far more time to travel, which is one of our favorite things to do. I'll give you a heads up if we up and head your way. ;-)-

And thanks for the compliment. I wish everyone here was as nice as you are. :-D-

16. arno_ed

Cool, congrats on your daughters graduation (it will take some time before my daughter will be at that stage). It would be nice to meet you:grin:

I have been reading
    [​IMG]
    every night for my 1.5 year old daughter, she just loves it.

I'm also reading
    [​IMG]

17. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

Finished Dance of Dragons last week. Now I'm almost done with the first book in the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. It's been a really pleasant surprise.

18. arno_ed

Just finished the Mistborn series. It was indeed a pleasant surprise. Did you get the idea to read it out of the Fantasy book thread (http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=246100)?

19. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

Yep, haha. A bunch of people seemed to really like it so I decided to give it a try.

20. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member