1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014] What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ScriboErgoSum, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I just started The Divine Comedy. Not that much fun to read.

2. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

but it's so funny...

3. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

Starting A Dance With Dragons right now. Heard from some people that the book really drags, and I really hope I can enjoy it.

I hate when I dislike a novel from a series that I celebrate. It just feels... wrong. However, I did enjoy A Feast For Crows, and that received many of the same criticisms as this one, so maybe I shouldn't be worried.

4. arjun

arjun Member

GMAT Official Guide.

UGH!

5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I'm reading "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom for the second time... It makes me appreciate life more, and I stop feeling bad for myself.

6. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I'm required to read "The Whistleblower's Dilemma" for class. Meh.

7. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Finished "Americanah" by Chimamanda Adichie
    Now on "Blink" by Gladwell then I'll move on to "David and Goliath".

Some good books you have lined up Rezdawg. Are you reading Fahrenheit 451 and Crime & Punishment again or your class never read those in High School?

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Have never read them...and not even sure if they were on my high school list. Even assuming they were, I pretty much never read any book outside of the Cliffnotes. :grin: English was the one subject that I avoided as much as possible, dumb move by me.

9. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

The Dresden Files. Again.

10. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

I thought Dance was a mixed bag. Without spoiling anything, I'll say that I really liked Night's Watch material, the Dany stuff was okay, and the Tyrion chapters were pretty "meh."

1 person likes this.
  11. TheresTheDagger

Reading Ken Follett's "Fall of Giants" currently. I've been looking for a good 20th century historical novel ever since completing "The Winds of War"/"War and Remembrance" and think I've found it.

I've always been a bit of a World War II buff, but I admit not knowing much about the first World War which this novel encompasses...both pre-war and throughout to the end of the war. So far, its held my attention well as it covers the events through the looking glass of 5 interrelated families in 5 separate countries.

Looking forward to finishing it so I can take on part 2 of the Century Trilogy in "Winter of the World" which covers from the end of WWI through to the end of WWII, and the final book due out next fall called "Edge of Eternity" which covers the last half of the 20th Century.

12. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Currently reading The Faerie Queene by Spenser for my World Literature class at UT. Basically, it is a 1047 page poem in Middle English and is considered one of the longest poems in the English language. Highly recommend that you do NOT read it.

For fun, I'm reading What the Dog Saw by Malcolm Gladwell. Very interesting and easy to read. Gladwell has a particular writing style that I enjoy.

13. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Just finished reading

[​IMG]

It's gotten good reviews, but I'd only give it 3/5. I guess I expected more fantastical elements from a book about a golem (woman made out of clay) and a jinni (genie). While it was very richly grounded and set in the backdrop of turn-of-the-century New York, it was a bit too grounded for my liking.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I only read Clutchfans.

15. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

About halfway through Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. Then it will be on to Bring Up the Bodies

16. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Read them both and they are very good. Have you read Pillars of the Earth and World Without End? They are excellent.

18. jdm485

jdm485 Member

Nate Silver, The Signal and the Noise

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Like it?

20. TheresTheDagger

I have not. This is my first Ken Follett book, but judging from the way I like his writing style not my last. I fully intend to follow up "Fall of Giants" with " Winter of the World".

Eventually, I'll make it to Pillars. I've heard many excellent recommendations.