1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014]Waiver Wire thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Aug 28, 2014.

1. sabesque

sabesque Member

Should a backup QB be our priority on the waivers?

Hell - our STARTING QB is a mediocre, see how many wins we can scrap together QB. As it stands right now, if everything goes as planned with no injuries, our ceiling is "maybe we can squeeze into the playoffs."

So what do we actually want or expect our backup QB to accomplish?
    * If Fitz stays healthy, does it matter who holds the clipboard?
    * If Fitz goes down early in the season, do you really expect a backup QB off the waiver wire (with no experience in the system) to go out there and save our season?
    * Are we trying to get a backup QB off the waiver that we can groom to be the starter of the future over savage?

I hate to say it, bit Fitz goes down, I'd rather either get some experience for Savage and see if or (I know this won't sit well) give the ball to Keenum to give us a better chance of drafting a QB of the future.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Yawin Smallwood to be released by the Falcons, per reports. For perspective, I had him ranked No. 102 overall this past draft.</p>&mdash; Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) <a href="https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/statuses/505402157760536576">August 29, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Quentin Groves has been cut by the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a>.</p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/statuses/505456088351666176">August 29, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

BenJarvus Green-Ellis!?

Rocket River

5. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

Would he be automatic #2? I had him on fantasy last year, and he did ok when he wasn't splitting reps.

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I like the way Grimes and Blue have been running in the preseason. I'm content going with them as the backups.

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

fact that it looks like they are keeping Ronnie Brown tells me that the Texans are going to run and run and run the ball this season...AND very high likelyhood that Arian Foster is a cap casualty next season.

8. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Terrelle Pryor cut. I don't think BOB would touch him but I always liked him.

9. Fantasma Negro

He'd be the best qb on the roster instantly. I like his size and athleticism. I hope OB gives him a good hard look at him cause if he can learn the offense he could be really good in this offense

10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Couldn't hurt. Young, athletic, decent arm.

11. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Arian is not getting cut next year. You guys act like we have a star QB eating 1/8 our cap. J Jo will get cut but not Arian.

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Any chance Aaron Rodgers, Manning, or Brees was put on the waiver wire?

13. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Terrelle Pryor is out there. Ignore already posted.

14. edwardc

edwardc Member

Have too agree with you on that get it done Smith.

15. Victorious

Victorious Member

Yesss I like TP2 but don't see us signing him.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I think its almost absolutely a guarantee that Arian gets cut. It would be dumb to waste that much cap space on a RB. A healthy J Jo is much, much more valuable than a healthy Arian.

17. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why wait to cut him then? Someone out there is willing to drop a DP for him, so why not kick the wheels on a trade? It doesnt bother me that he doesnt give the local media what they want. And they can cry all they want. When douches call other douches douches then the world is right and just.

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Because we'd only save 1 million dollars on the cap by cutting him now...and he'd carry 7.5 million in dead money. No way a team trades for Foster, so a draft pick is out of the question. And at this point in the season, its not worth trading Foster in the event a team would give up a 6th rounder for him. Next year would be the first year in his deal where it would make financial sense to cut him.

J Jo, on the other hand...if we were to cut him next season, it would be a saving of 3.75 million, with 7.5 million dead money. So, if he can show that he is healthy, it would be beneficial to keep a top tier CB on the roster instead of trying to save 3.75 million.

#38 rezdawg, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  19. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I would be shocked if we got him honestly... doesn't seem like a Texans type move. Would be a good move imo.

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Isn't Pryor more of a running QB? Doesn't seem like he'd fit OB's preference for pocket passers. Honestly, he'd fit better in Seattle and they're the ones that cut him.