1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Trading Deadline - Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CheezeyBoy22, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You could just as easily say they need to be "more" patient with the young MLB players they have NOW. Actually let them "grow"... instead of tracking their career projections, and partially forming their opinions, before they even get to the big leagues.

Make no mistake... Cosart largely over-achieved at the MLB level compared to his minor league track record... and yet still disappointed a lot of you. Very much like Curt Schilling. Very much like Matt Scherzer.

I think there's more of a chance that Cosart goes on to become an above/average or even all-star starting pitcher than he has of totally flaming out and becoming the next Tim Redding.

2. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

Kike will be missed...but Cosart? He has potential to be a good #2, but I don't think he has the work ethic, maturity, and serious determination to achieve it. Most likely winds up like Bud Norris (no thanks). I, for one, am looking forward to Peacock getting regular starts. I like his "stuff". As far as MIA and STL being able to cultivate pitchers who struggled elsewhere, what about McHugh? I'm delighted we hung on to to him and Keuchel.

3. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Jesus man, were you dating Cosart?

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

what? he has't proven to you in 30 career starts that he's going to be good? :grin:

come on. there's a whole ishload of players on this roster and in AAA that I'm not sure will ever be "good." Should we move them all?

And how sure are you the guys we picked up today are going to be "good." The kid who plays CF has about 160 AB's...he hasn't show much to suggest he'll be anything other than terrible. But we can trade him next year for more prospects.

At some point, you're going to have to let these guys grow...and they're going to struggle while they do it.

5. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

Greatly appreciated.

But seriously when does this stop? Very unnecessary trade, IMO.

Ugh I hate to think the Texans have had the best luck out of all Houston sports this year....I am referring to Fitzpatrick - put face to palm now.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Cosart and Oberholtzer have both have mid 3.5 ERAs for their careers. Their peripherals look very similar. Cosart a little better at preventing homers, but Obie doesn't walk every other free swinger. I would say they both project to be BoR guys with Cosart having a slight edge.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Sure; in 60 IP, which is barely above the rookie minimum threshold. So it was a promising but tiny sample size with some glaring outliers that were (likely) not sustainable longer term. He put a lot of people on base, which has continued this season, and his BAbip was remarkably low (like, 20 points lower than Felix Hernandez's this year...). No surprise, it's up nearly 60 points this year amd his ERA has doubled. His ERA+ is below average. He's 24; no one is writing the final chapter on the guy... but I just don't think the Astros saw him as anything beyond MOR/BOR guy.

I get it; I do. I'm not sure this is a setback in any way, though. I mean, they turned a guy no one projected as an ace into two of the top three prospects in what has been a very good system; guys who will likely both be here by next year.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Can anybody really "prove" that over one calendar year though?

Overall, he's shown more upside/promise than "bad"... unless you count potential comment making and the fact that he wasn't scouted/picked/traded for by this front office as "bad".

9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea we "messed" up not moving Altuve and Springer, imagine how good Corpus, Lex and Quad could have been. Might have just missed out on a chance to win multiple minor league titles

10. MadMax

I need a drink. My teams make me drink.

Eff CSN. I need an MiLB pass next year.

11. MadMax

what did i say in that post you quoted that you disagreed with ? there wasn't much there about cosart at all.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I laughed a little... but then got sad when I realized this front office would totally spin those trades with that sort of comment.

TBH, I could "spin" an Altuve trade just as well as you all are spinning this Cosart trade. How Altuve likely will never have another year as good as this, how he's still an awful defender, and how with his team-friendly contract we can get a HUGE return of prospects/young players that all project to be better than Altuve was projected to be.

13. MadMax

Hell yes, they'd spin that!!! I could abso-effing-lutely spin an Altuve trade..without question. Talk about selling high? Holy crap.

14. MadMax

So are we all super convinced that Moran is better than Ruiz? Cuz, Ruiz's numbers look pretty salty (and yeah, I know it's Lancaster).

15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I'll talk to yall tomorrow, i'm going to a bar, one without CSN...for at least one night

16. MadMax

I bet I beat you there.

17. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

But at that same time did you have the same hopes for Keuchel or McHugh (who wasn't even in the organization). I understand your frustration, but Cosart in and of himself was not going to make this team a contender in the immediate future. At the same time you get a guy that can possibly be your future 3rd baseman for a while, or if you like Ruiz better, a guy that can be turned into a major league piece when the time is right.

18. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

You just are reminding me of when a girl gets dumped and starts cursing everything and eventually chops her hair off and moves across the country. We traded a projected BOR starter and suddenly we should get rid of Springer? Okay.

Question: what was the last real trade this team made? Oh that's right, we traded a 23 year old SP for an established OF bat. Why has no one mentioned this? Sure doesn't fit the narrative that many are trying to push here. (And before anyone tries to point out that Lyles is 5-1... his team hasn't won a game that he has pitched in since 5/10.)

Seriously man, I don't know what your personal connection is with Cosart, but this is a hell of a return for him. You can't pass a deal up like this just because you've made other similar (meaning trade present for future) deals in the past.

19. SuraGotMadHops

This captures it perfectly. We know what the front office is doing, and we don't necessarily disagree with it, but we haven't had any good baseball at MMP since Hurricane Ike, and we're constantly looking to the minors to rile up any kind of excitement.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Cosart should have got his own thread.

Hope they can move Feldman in August.