1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Trading Deadline - Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CheezeyBoy22, Jul 22, 2014.

1. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

I just wish it could've been Villar instead of Hernandez ::mad:

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The way Cosart's been pitching, he wasn't a major league pitcher. And if he's the one who made the comment the other day, please let the door hit your ass on the way out. Hard.

3. Anticope

Anticope Member

Who else have they traded this quickly? Everyone else like Norris and Lowrie were much older.

4. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Here I was... minding my own business... having a good day...

We do not speak of such mediocrity in this forum.

5. cardpire

cardpire Member

What does it matter how he develops there, if he wasn't going to develop the same way here?

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

First 30 mlb starts era in mid 3s... But ok

7. bball1217

bball1217 Member

I believe this opens up one spot on the 40-man roster - with Keke and Cosart leaving and only Marisnick taking up one of those spots. I would love to see Tropeano finally added to the 40-man and brought up and given a chance...maybe even start tonight for Cosart (only 3 days of rest though).

We have a ton of depth in pitching in our farm system, especially MOR and BOR type guys, which is what Cosart's ceiling is I think IMO. So losing him isn't too big of a blow, with some of those guys on the cusp of reaching the majors soon.

Marisnick has great tools, and is still very young. He might come in to his own here in Houston, might not. I like the gamble though. Keke wasn't ever going to be more than a very serviceable backup utility man - very fun to watch him though, and he'll be missed.

Colin Moran is an awesome get. Solid defense at the corner. Great contact hitter who could be a 15-20 home run guy in the future if he reaches his potential. He will challenge Dominguez for the 3rd base spot in a couple of years.

Overall, fair trade that helps both teams. I like it for us a lot.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Forgot the word lately...my apologies.

9. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Congrats to Brad Ausmus, who after landing David Price will become a World Series Champion this year. Calling it now...Tigers 2014 World Series Champs.

Which begs the question, how the hell can decrepit Detroit afford such a nice roster?

10. Xercules

Xercules Member

Moran to AA.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Moran to report to Double A Corpus Christi</p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/statuses/494951794418515968">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. HstnSprtsFan101

True, once our MLB team starts winning we'll start making big trades like the Mariners & Marlins have done. Both teams came from nowhere, but how do we start winning....

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If this front office is really going to start trading players for those sort of "comments"... they better start developing a thicker skin.

As it is, they just traded a 24 year old 2nd-year starter with decent "stuff" and projectable numbers. Sure, he's been inconsistent as of late... but still would have liked to see how he finished the year.

Wouldn't surprise me if he pitches well for the Marlins... actually shouldn't surprise anybody.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

A rich/crazy owner who is desperate to see a championship before he dies. And suburban Detroit is pretty affluent. Nobody lives in the actual city.

14. Buck Turgidson

Now let us all mock JdJO:

"Very poor form by the Astros PR staff. Told one group of media clubhouse was closed, let another group go through front door."

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I never said that was why they did it. I'm saying as a fan of the team, if he's the one who said that, I'm glad he's gone cause he's a ****ing idiot and I don't care to root for people like that.

16. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

I don't follow..

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

jjdo is a b**** and the Astros are rightfully treating him like one.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why can't he develop the same way here?

Why is it that pitchers who end up on the Marlins and Cardinals end up nearly always improving... and taking other team's unwanted "talent" and cultivating it better?

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Alright... then you may need to develop a thicker skin.

Cosart is an idiot... but he's still a 24 year old pitcher with stuff who has done well in one calendar year as a starter. He also has a normal UCL.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Sure he is. And he's in his 2nd year. Had a great season last season as a rookie....if we're going to give up on all our prospects in year 2 because they didn't perform as well as we hoped, then we're never going to build a major league team.