1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014 Summer] Papanikolaou and the Greek National Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shastarocket, Aug 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

haynaku ... sino? mga pinoy talaga, ok na ang matalo, wag namang maglaro nang marumi :(

how can I cheer them after the way they played vs Dominican Republic? I'm only cheering for Pingris.

2. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

tenorio...he lowballed papanikolau.

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

1. I don't see the actual hit on the video. I just see tenorio holding paps then paps suddenly falls. Could be a euro flop
    2. Yeah Filipinos play physical because if not, the taller and bigger opponents will simply roll over them. But I don't think Filipinos play any dirtier than other team
    3. I'm proud of them that despite giving up an average of 6 inches and probably 10 pounds to their opponents they are able to keep the games close

4. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

so i guess we just added another flopper to the team

5. FeaR

FeaR Member

Yeah flop :rolleyes:. You should read what Greek players/coach said about Filipinos. The greek coach said that Filipinos coach praised his player for his decision to hit Pap when he went to the bench. Also Our Captain said that 15 was wrestling and trying to make him trip. They weren't playing basketball for sure.

6. vlaurelio

Yeah euro players never flop. I said it might be a flop. Did you even watch the game? Did you see the play where paps almost clotheslines a much smaller Filipino guard in the 1st quarter? Can't you point out any other plays where the Filipinos played dirty?

7. Zbed

Zbed Member

I see KPap filling the Garcia role vs. The Thunder and just frustrating KD on defense

8. Melkart

Melkart Member

While kpap's stats do look good, it is not clear at all that it would translate well to the NBA.

Casspi, for example, has been really dominating in the EuroBasket qualifications stage. Check out these boxscores:

22 points vs Netherlands
    28 points vs Montenegro

9. bmd

bmd Member

He clearly hit him. You must be blind.

10. vlaurelio

Screencap?

11. bmd

bmd Member

You can't screen cap it. You need to see his arm swing and all.

12. Remon

Remon Member

The Filippinos didn't dispute the call at all. Also, Papanikolaou isn't a flopper. Greeks in general may whine a bit too much to the refs, but we don't have floppers.

13. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The greatest floppers in this league are Ginobili, CP3 and Lebron.

It takes high level skills to be a flopper.

14. vlaurelio

Okay. Guess I'm just biased. But I am still proud of my peeps competing and this is just 1 isolated incident I guess.

15. bmd

bmd Member

I mean, the referee even blew the whistle before Papanikolaou even went down. So he saw it right away. There is no question as to what happened.

16. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Well, I'll be proud of Filipino basketball players if they play the right way.

I watched their tune-up game vs. Dominican Republic and got mad at De Ocampo for hitting someone in the face. And there were other players who played rough. Garcia had to talk to the Filipinos' coach and the refs to avoid escalating it.

So they tried to play rough with Paps, who's a pretty tough cookie himself. Basketball is a physical game. But there's a way to play that respects the game of basketball. I don't think about you, but cheap shots won't make me respect them, even if they're my countrymen.

I watched their game against Croatia and they kept going to Blatche who isn't exactly an offensive machine. So where's their game plan?

17. omgTHEpotential

If playing dirty is the only way Filipinos know how to be at least slightly competitive, good for them I guess. But they get zero respect from me for that.

18. vlaurelio

Lol at haters here generalizing a whole.country.

look no 3 ranked argentina escaped with 4 point win over the philippines. the filipinos must have taken out all their dirty tricks out of the bag :rolleyes:

19. omgTHEpotential

What the hell are you going on about? How am I hating? Philippines seems like a nice country.

But we're not talking here about the country, we're talking about their basketball team. I do not condone cheap*** dirty play. Every country can do that, but the best of them choose not to. I also don't like teams that naturalize foreign players just so they would look better on the international stage. It's supposed to be a NATIONAL team ffs.

P.S. Also,Argentina is just a shell of it's former self. They're old, and without Ginobili. They're not tournament favorites by any stretch.

20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Puerto Rico vs. Greece coming up at 1PM CT