1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Starting Lineup?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, Sep 29, 2013.

1. htownbball

htownbball Member

I see alot of posts saying we can improve by 20 games, but what are the major changes going to be in our lineup for next year? I don't see many free agents wanting to come here, or Crane and Co to open up their wallets. What do you think our starting lineup looks like?

C- Castro
    1B- Singleton if he mashes in ST and reports in shape?
    2B- Altuve
    3B- Dominguez
    SS- Villar
    LF- Carter
    CF- Springer
    RF- Martinez
    DH- Stassi

SP- Peacock
    SP- Cosart
    SP- Oberholzer
    SP- Lyles
    SP- Keuchel
    CL- Committee?

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

If Singleton can lay off the pot brownies this offseason -- which apparently got him both fat and suspended -- and he has a renewed attitude in ST, then MAYBE we talk about playing him. But I really doubt it. Dude put up awful numbers in OKC.

Need bullpen arms, a Lyles renaissance and the youth SPs to continue their trends. Also need a big bat. Maybe Springer can help there, but we need an additional bat.

Expect Wojo to fight for a SP slot.

3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

With the new developments of csn, hard to say where we are in 4-5 months. If no significant money is spent though, no reason to think we won't be back in the running for top pick in 2015. Maybe not a runaway again, but no reason to expect less than 100 losses

4. OKCRocket

OKCRocket Member

Singleton won't be up until September next year. He had a horrible start to the season, and his power was down this year so he needs more time.
    My guess is the lineup looks like this:
    C-Castro
    1b-Wallace/Carter Platoon
    2b-Altuve
    SS- Villar
    3B- Dominguez
    LF-Grossman/Carter
    CF-Springer
    RF-Hoes/Martinez platoon
    DH-Carter/FA signee (Someone similar to the Pena signing last offseason)

I agree with the rotation. Another name to look for is Foltynewicz. He'll be up before the end of the year next season, although he'll probably start the year in corpus or OKC.

5. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

First of I'll say that I expect the Astros to do some trades of guys who are not perceived as being critical to the team of 2016.

What is interesting is that the players that need to be traded are young unproven guys with potential, because there is a deeper core of talent at the levels below. The list includes Hoes, Villar, Grossman, Dominguez, Lyles, etc....

I think that in 2016, the Astros are shooting for the following team. Essentially, I don't think that any of last years regulars figure prominently into the team in 2016.

CF: DeShields
    RF: Springer
    LF: Santana
    1B: Singleton
    2B: Fontana
    SS: Correa
    3B: Ruiz
    Ca: Castro
    DH: ?????

1. Appel
    2. Rodon
    3. McCullens
    4. Foltywicz
    5. Velasquez

Closer: Cosart

But for 2014 I think the starting line up, barring any trades or FA signing looks as follows. Though I would expect the Astros not to sit on their hands this year. I'm expecting to flip some young guys for much needed experience. The lower minor systems have some absolutley talented guys. It's time to build a winning enviroment onto the team, before the pelthora of them come over. Anyway's I thinkt the following team would win 70 to 75 games; but I don't think they will get the shot to do so, I think some will be traded away.

1. Villar (SS)
    2. Altuve (2B)
    3. Springer (CF)
    4. Castro (Ca)
    5. Carter (DH)
    6. Dominguez (3B)
    7. Grossman (LF)
    8. Hoes (RF)
    9. Singleton (1B)

1. Lyles
    2. Cosart
    3. Oberhaltzer
    4. Peacock
    5. Woji

6. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I'll bet you $20 Singleton does not hit 9th.

7. edwardc

edwardc Member

Switch Stassi and Castro and you have it.

8. vince

vince Member

I agree with you. I was debating if Singleton in at AAA or wit the Astros. Chances are he might have to play most if not all of the year in the minors

So i plugged him at the 9th spot.

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I'll go with:

C- Jason Castro
    1B- Jesus Guzman/Brett Wallace (with Jonathan Singleton coming after the All-Star break)
    2B- Jose Altuve
    SS- Jonathan Villar
    3B- Matt Dominguez
    LF- Robbie Grossman/L.J. Hoes
    CF- Dexter Fowler
    RF- George Springer
    DH- Chris Carter

SP1- Scott Feldman
    SP2- Brett Oberholtzer
    SP3- Jarred Cosart
    SP4- Brad Peacock
    SP5- Lucas Harrell is able to redeem himself and be at least adequate.

10. bigtexxx

^^ my guess is that we lose 90 games with that lineup

If the starting pitching can continue the trend they left off 2013 with, and the bullpen is solidified with our offseason acquisitions, then maybe we only lose 85 games.

Angels, Rangers, Mariners, A's all will destroy us if that's what we trot out.

I hope I'm wrong, but it's looking like another 2-3 years of not competing.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I almost entirely agree with you except I think they keep Springer down to get that extra year(not that I agree with it). I think they go with a lefty/righty platoon at 1st with Wally and Guzman, which could actually be very effective.

C- Jason Castro
    1B- Brett Wallace
    2B- Jose Altuve
    SS- Jonathan Villar
    3B- Matt Dominguez
    LF- Robbie Grossman
    CF- Dexter Fowler
    RF- L.J. Hoes
    DH- Chris Carter

SP1- Scott Feldman
    SP2- Brett Oberholtzer
    SP3- Jarred Cosart
    SP4- Brad Peacock
    SP5- Lucas Harrell

If Harrell doesn't get off to a good start he will certainly be the 1st to go. With Keuchel/Owens/White/Woj there will be a lot of people breathing down his neck.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not seeing a lot of wins with this lineup.

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

C- Jason Castro
    1B- Japhet Amador (I think they've seen all they need to see in Wallace)
    2B- Jose Altuve
    SS- Jonathan Villar
    3B- Matt Dominguez
    LF- Robbie Grossman
    CF- Dexter Fowler
    RF- L.J. Hoes
    DH- Chris Carter

SP1- Scott Feldman
    SP2- Brett Oberholtzer
    SP3- Brad Peacock
    SP4- Dallas Keuchel
    SP5- Jarred Cosart

14. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you. I think that Astros fans are numb to being so bad the last year that they do not realize how much better we have to get just to be mediocre.

That line up looks like a 90 game loser. We really will need some of the prospects to filter into the line up and especially the rotation before we see a serious change.

Just a whole lot of mediocre to bad players on the Astros at the major league level.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Guzman/Wallace combo could be interesting. Guzman has really been hurt by PetCo park. He has a career road OPS of .784 (.698 at PetCo), and hits lefties much better than righties (.818 OPS versus lefties). So if you take into a account a neutral home park, and a lefty heavy diet I could see some really good numbers.

Likewise Wallace has been a catastrophe against lefties. When you remove lefties he has actually been fairly effective. If we stick to the platoon, and don't force the bad matchup, I could see us having a fairly productive 1B duo.

And Springer won't be down for long.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think most fans would be happy with a 72-win season after the last three and is probably in line with the expectations for a team with a similar lineup. Are there people out there who really expected them to be more than 21 games better than last year or don't believe they'll continue to make improvements to their line up going forward? Based on some of the posts, sure sounds that way.

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Wait a second there's actually a chance springer is back in the minors? Isn't he 24 years old already? That seems absolutely ridiculous.

18. bigtexxx

Totally agree. We were delaying his MLB clock from starting last year, and he'll probably start the first few games at least in the minors this year for the same reason. Annoying for the fans who had precious little to cheer about last year, but all part of the rebuilding plan. The fans have to take it up the poop chute for 4-5 years to hopefully have a chance to be a contender. That's the price we signed up for...

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Not what I expect, but what I would do:

CF - Fowler
    2B - Altuve
    RF - Springer
    C - Castro
    1B - Carter
    3B - Dominguez
    LF - Grossman
    SS - Villar
    DH - Hoes

1 - Peacock
    2 - Feldman
    3 - Oberholtzer
    4 - Harrell
    5 - Cosart

CL - Crain

20. Mashing

Mashing Member

I wonder if Appel makes it to the majors this year (September call up)