1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Feb 3, 2014.

1. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Will try that out. Thank you.

2. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Upgrade points have all been mentioned. I personally upgrade because I'm a gadget guy and like having the latest.

Gee hit it right on the head. You get band 12 upgraded LTE speeds with T-Mobile, which I've seen in the 70s in and around Houston.

If you get the Note 4,you won't regret it. Throw on the Firkat Rom(hiiiighly suggest doing this) and enjoy the best phone on the Market.

If you decide to stick with the Note, go with Hyperdrive Rom... Tons of options/customization.

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

If you're seeing 70s, you're probably on 15x15 or 20x20 Band 4. (I've seen 100mbps in some 20x20 markets) That's the "wideband" LTE that TMobile is marketing. (Basically the exact same thing as Verizon's so called xLTE. Both are running on Band 4)

Band 12 isn't actually that fast. TMobile only has a license for 5mhz of Band 12 so the speeds really only top out at 15 mbps. With that said, your phone will only connect to Band 12 if you lose Band 4 or Band 2. It's meant as a connection of last resort after you lose connection to TMobile's AWS or PCS bands. The point is to give users access to phone/data in areas that AWS and PCS can't penetrate like the other carriers. (Sprint is rolling out 800 mhz 5x5 LTE and voice so they're getting in on the low frequency spectrum as well)

Eventually TMobile will get carrier aggregation and phones will be able to connect to multiple bands at the same time and combine them to produce faster speeds. I believe only AT&T has carrier aggregation at the moment and its limited to a handful of markets.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Anyone have a OnePlus One invite?

Thanks in advance.

5. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

My lg g2 took an unexpected coffee bath, and I took the opportunity to upgrade. Opted for the Note 4, and wow what a beast! Tossed in a wireless charging receiver and couldn't be more pleased with this phone. The extra size takes some getting used to, but the extra screen real estate makes it totally worth it. Haven't even scratched the surface of what this phone can do, including trying out the S Pen.
    And dat camera! Damn! :eek::grin:

6. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Yea buddy

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Still hoping for a OnePlus One invite!

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

2014 is so 2014.

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'd send you one if I had it. One I sent through the board to someone went unused.

10. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I have a oneplus one invite if anyone wants it.

11. s.b713

s.b713 Member

I got a One Plus One, liking it a lot better than my Nexus 5 so far.

12. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

already taken?

13. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

The camera seems weak.

14. BiGGieStuFF

Probably expired. let me check if i can still claim it or not.

15. BiGGieStuFF

It expired. Sorry.

16. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

dang...

17. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Bump! Guys I have had my note 3 since it released almost a year and a half ago. It's getting buggy, and even though I factory reset it and put an extended battery on it a couple months ago to keep it fresh, the thing is dying slowly. It's not to the point where I need to upgrade now or forever be doomed, but I do want to stay current on my tech. So I will not be grabbing an iphone 6 plus, nor do I want the Note 4 or Note Edge. I am looking at the S6, possibly the new Google Phone, maybe the Nexus 6? not sure.

Phone Geeks, give me your input, I have 6 payments left on my phone ($136) which I can pay off no prob and put on swappa, or just straight trade it in at tmobile. which phone should I be getting in the next few months? Should I just suck it up and wait on the Note 5?

18. BiGGieStuFF

If you can wait Samsung S6 and LG G4 are slated for announcement and possible release in march/april.

19. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

What you can do is load up a custom TouchWiz ROM that is debloated of Samsung's crap.

Or do an AOSP ROM like Cynagenmod, Slim, Paranoid, etc. Basically, stock Android experience with the added bonus of tweaksand UI customisation. You, however, lost Samsung's proprietary apps like SNote.

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Have had the Nexus 6 for almost a week now. I'm super happy.

Pros:

- Battery life. Never have to recharge in a day.
    - Screen is awesome.
    - Speakers are best in the market easily. Crazy good.
    - Very solid build, not tacky (I don't like Samsungs for this reason).
    - Fast.
    - Android Lollipop is beautiful and more intuitive than any other phone.
    - Was worried about the size and how this would fit into my pocket, feel in my hand and my car's cupholder being I've not I had a device this size before. Turns out it's not a problem for me, and I have short stubby fingers.

Cons:
    - I work with color grading so my eye notices the color space is off (everything slightly redder than it should be). Can't fix, apparently will be addressed in next update.
    - Takes twice as long as a Nexus 5 to recharge.
    - Camera could be better, but I knew that before I bought it. Above average, but not as good as Samsung or iphone.

It's essentially the Note 4 with a weaker camera but faster because there's zero Samsung bloatware and gimmicky add-ons. Not sure how prices of these two compare over there but I got the 64GB Nexus for a hair less than the 32GB Note 4.