1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Feb 3, 2014.

1. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

saw you in the nexus 6 shipping thread, biggie. i'm probably on the internet too much if i'm seeing folks on other forums.

anyhow... if anyone is looking for a tmobes nexus 6, i may have a connect in one of their stores that will sell you one today... even though they are not supposed to. maybe. if (extra emphasis on "if") they do sell it to you, it's the 32 blue one.

2. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Hahaha do you go by the same screen name in XDA? I have a 64gb white on order but man that blue is looking better.

3. astros123

astros123 Member

just ordered the galaxy note edge......thinking of canceling it and going with the nexus 6.....

4. tested911

tested911 Member

Omega I Might be interested, do you know how much?

5. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

emailed you through the board. not sure how much tmobes costs, but he's one of the sales people there, so he'll give you the info. and yes, he has once available to sell tomorrow.

have a different handle, but staying anonymous. stoked about the blue.

#845 OmegaSupreme, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  6. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I just received a One Plus invite, for the 64GB black one for $350. For that price, I just wanted to get more info on it before my 24 hour limit is up to claim it.

Are the specs still high end? I know how fast technology, especially phone tech, goes obsolete. Will this phone hold its own for the next 2-3 years? Also, I am thinking about getting this and switching over to either AT&T or T-Mobile. We currently get terrible reception at our house, in the Sugar Land area, in Riverstone specifically. Verizon was terrible when we first moved, so we switched to Cricket, which was better, but it is still crap. I guess we will try them all until one finally is acceptable.

Which phone plan is the cheapest between AT&T or T-Mobile. When we were looking to switch to Sprint earlier this year, it seems like the cell phone providers make the most money by jacking up the cost of the phones, where you have to pay $20-30/month for just the phone. I am hoping that this initial $350 cost will eliminate that, and we can just pay for a cheap family plan or something. Sorry for all of the questions, but it seems that the cell phone industry has changed dramatically since the last time I was on contract. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

7. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

If you're bringing your own phone, TMobile will be the cheapest. TMobile split phone costs from the plans so you'll only be paying for the actual plan itself without subsidies. FYI if you've tried Cricket in the last few months, then you've tried AT&T. They're the same now. Cricket runs on AT&T's network.

If the others have failed, there's a decent chance that TMobile will also fail for you as well. But you can call TMobile and ask for a repeater and they'll send you one for free. AT&T/Cricket might do the same as well if you ask. Unfortunately the One Plus One doesn't support TMobile's wifi calling (and probably wont until it gets a version of Lollipop with wifi calling baked in which should happen sometime next year)

8. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Thank you very much for the response. I'm trying to weigh all of my options, and this 24 claim window just sped up the entire process ten-fold!

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I think its worth getting to try out. Also one other thing you can do is, TMobile will give you an iphone for a week to try out their network. Its a free way to see if TMobile will work for you. That way you can test it before signing up for a plan.

10. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I have 2 invites for the OnePlus One phone available for the next 3 days
    They're for the 64GB Sandstone Black devices at $350.

PM me an e-mail address if you want it!

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I have a OnePlus One, and it's great. At the price, its a steal. It should have Android L or lollipop or whatever you want to call it within two to three months.

I'm on the ATT coverage of Straight Talk through Walmart. I pay about $45 / month. My coverage is much better than T-Mobile, but I'm nowhere near Houston.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

How are you liking it?

13. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

It's great - I have zero complaints with it.
    It runs faster than my previous phone, and the screen is really clear. The device itself is great, and ranks right at the top. I've installed Tasker on it and had some fun making up my own little settings for just a bit more comfort and personalization. Two thumbs up

14. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Got the note 4.. TouchWiz is actually kinda nice

15. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Definitely agree.

Nothing against the OnePlus One , but that phone doesn't hold a candle to the Note 4.

It is not even debatable.

16. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

The build is great

Plastics used are high end.. the grip is really nice and with the one hand mode features I'm not missing my 4.7 at all

Then there's the s pen

17. platypus

platypus Member

OnePlus is great...if you receive a working phone. i've heard terrible things about their customer service. They simply don't make enough money off the phone to offer good support.

I'd rather pay a premium and have the peace of mind with a solid warranty. When my galaxy s4 started giving me problems (lemon) samsung replaced it and i was good to go.

18. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

And widgets... I don't know how ios users live without widgets

19. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

That's the number 1 thing that kept me away from the OnePlus one. IN my younger years I wouldn't care if it had a warranty or not but as I grow older, a warranty adds a lot of value now. My last two phones have had minor issues with them but required service and having that warranty allowed me to simply replace the device painlessly. Still great bang for the buck phone don't get me wrong but the device support was enough to steer me away.

20. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Touchwiz is terrible. Ugly, clunky, messy and filled with half assed gimmicks and poorly executed rip offs. It's a shame Samsung's version of Android gets more exposure than the others, or the Nexus line.

At least there are some launchers available to put some lipstick on that pig.