1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

Should I stick with Sprint when purchasing the IPhone 6 or switch over to a different provider? Because I really am tired of how Sprint's internet LTE drains the heck out of my IPhone 5.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This isn't meant to be a snide remark but what makes you think other providers' LTE network won't drain your phone any more than Sprint?

If you're a heavy user then I'd imagine it wouldn't make a difference which network you have.

3. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

CDMA is more of a battery drain than GSM i thought? There was also an article that tested the flagship phones on different carriers and t-mobile came out on top as having the best battery life. Sprint was the worst.

Part of it is the signal strength, some of it is the radio being used, and then some is how stable your data connection is. If you have a slow connection or unstable connection, background services on your phone will take longer to complete and thus keeping your phone awake longer and draining your battery.

4. steddinotayto

Thanks for the education :grin:

And to Outlier: I apologize if my post offended you

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I have two, possibly three One plus one invites if anyone is interested.

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

No problem, you owe me an answer now though:
    How hard is it to switch to another network? How much do termination fees usually cost?

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I've over phones but interested in this iWatch.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

My LG G2's battery life has been sucking some major butt lately after the KitKat update.

I'm not eligible for an upgrade until February though :(

Google Nexus 6 by then maybe?

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Apple's new wearable phone.

[​IMG]

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Thats the only complaint my wife has after getting a G2 after her Blackberry died. She used to only have to charge the BB every other day, she has to put the G2 on the charger every night.

Im still loving my S5. The battery life isnt as good as it was when I first got it, but to be fair I am using it much more now. No biggy, I just charge it every night and Im good to go.

11. foo82

foo82 Member

Tmobile will pay off your early termination fees for you in form of credit on new device. Also they will give you in form of credit for old phone tradein.

http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/switch-carriers-no-early-termination-fee.html

12. VanityHalfBlack

Send me one, thanks!

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Depending on the phone, Sprint's triband LTE (aka spark) can make a big difference. On a triband connection, you're essentially connecting to three LTE frequencies at once in order to produce faster speeds. Plus CDMA being slightly worse in terms of battery and the fact that sprint constantly switches between radios because their LTE coverage is so bad will have an impact.

Sprint is awful for reasons far beyond battery life. Worst network by far. Any of the other three carriers are so much better.

Also I have TMobile and I can't complain at all. I get between 35-50 mb/s but I live in a city that has 20x20 LTE. Depends on where you live though.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

What is this, and what do you get if you join? :confused:

15. steddinotayto

You get the privilege of owning a 5.5" screen android phone for a ridiculously low price of $299 without contract.

1 person likes this.
  16. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Best bang for the buck android phone. If you accept the invite you have to be ready to drop about 360 down in the next 24 hours.

highlights

Snapdragon 801 (same processor in most of the flagships)
    64gb internal memory (others usually come with 16/32gb but have microSD slots) Having more internal memory is nice because it's faster.
    5.5" 1080p (more than adequate for viewing pleasure and a battery saver vs the quad HD screens) * just wish it was in a smaller body
    3000mah battery (it's been getting great reviews on battery life. 2nd only to the Sony Z2)

the part that most people overlook when looking at phones is that it runs basically stock android. no carrier bloatware or manufacturer overlay that slows down the phone. Most of the tweaks to the OS are very welcomed and don't slow down the phone at all. Cyanogen is very reputable and good on the updates.

This phone is best for those that are not in a contract and want a very inexpensive phone to stay off contract and are on a GSM carrier. (means no Verizon or Sprint)

1 person likes this.
  17. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Anyone ever use Ting? I am sick of paying $95 a month for crap service at AT&T. I broke my S4 so I am rocking some 6 year old Blackberry that drops every other call.

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I have the LG G3...but for those looking for a phone, I'd definitely recommend the One Plus One if you can get an invite. Definitely amazing bang for the buck.

19. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Ting runs on Sprint's network so I really doubt your network experience will get any better. Ting's claim to fame is no contract options which Tmobile does as well. Plus TMobile runs a GSM network so you can bring your own phone or buy one of theirs.

TMobile also reimburses you for your early termination fee which Ting only partially does.

1 person likes this.
  20. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Thanks, I checked out T-Mobile and it looks like they have some killer deals. I don't qualify for the termination fee credit though, I cracked my S4 and killed the screen. It still might be cheaper to fix it and then trade it in.