1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Feb 3, 2014.

1. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

anyone got a sony xperia z2

Just wondering if it's any better than the htc 1 m8?

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I personally find the battery life very important. Sometimes I forget to plug it in or I may have a long night. I would rather not be known as a wall hugger.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Battery life is extremely important. My point was that LG G3 "downside" is the battery life...however, that battery life should be enough for 95% of the population. Therefore, if you can get by with what it has to offer in terms of juice, it's an exceptional phone given all of it's other specs.

I just took this screenshot from my phone a little bit ago...

[​IMG]

As you can see, it has been discharged for over 31 hours...and estimates about 1.5 hours remaining based on how I was using the phone. Sitting at 11% with over 4.5 hours of screen on time since yesterday morning at 8 am should be more than enough for most people. If it's not, then that makes me sad for humanity.

EDIT

My only gripe about the phone is the brightness of the screen. The S5 is ridiculously bright when side by side with the G3. The G3 has some incredible sharpness, but just doesnt measure up when it comes to the screen popping with color. S5 is hands down the winner there and that can be a major factor for some people.

#603 rezdawg, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

re: screen brightness. I have a S3 (rooted, running 4.4.4) and I use RootDim to lower the screen brightness even more to save battery. The only time I find brightness a value is outside in bright sunlight.

If the G3 is bright enough for that I would be good with it. If not, then the S5's brightness would be a major decision-maker.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I havent used the phone in bright sunlight yet. That's one thing Im worried about. Hopefully we can get some good brightness tomorrow and I'll test it.

I had the S3 previously and did not like how it handled bright sunlight. I would have to cup my hand over the screen to try to get some shade to be able to comfortably read.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Sorry I forgot I had posted in this thread.

Honestly I think there is no real difference from the S5 to the S4 except the ultra-power saving mode (which is really only helpful if you travel frequently). The processor is faster of course, if that really matters.

Is KitKat on the S4 yet? I know they've been taking forever. I've already updated my S5 manually to the newer firmware and it is running as smooth as ever.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Personally I find the s5 being waterproof one of the best features. Moisture damage is very very common and its not limited to the pool, lake or toilet.

I am not sure about the s4, but I really like the camera on the s5.

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

My wife and I finally upgraded from Flintstones-era cell phones to smart phones. Naturally, anything would be an upgrade, but we said "Eff it" and went straight to the S5.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

9. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Seconded. That's why I bought the S4 Active - perfect for listening to music or taking nudies in the shower.

10. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I like the S5 but have mixed feelings about it overall. Some of it I can probably fix by adjusting settings though. When I wake the phone, the phone would temporarily freeze long enough to not let me unlock and then go back to sleep. The ring around my front camera dropped down and blocked it. I just got my replacement. Battery life is pretty good. My main complaint is that I do all of the exact same stuff that I did on my previous phone but somehow I go over my 5gb a month. On my old phone I would never even get close to 2gb a month. It makes no sense. I turned off background data and I am connected to wifi at home and work. I called tmobile and they said some apps run on data regardless of settings. They did agree that it was strange though. Anyone else have this problem?

11. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Be careful with that S4 active. it's "SUPPOSED" to be waterproof but reports and personal experience from a friend say otherwise. I literally watched my buddy dunk his phone and when it came out it had water under the screen. It was hell for him to get it replaced as well.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...acement-for-a-water-damaged-galaxy-s4-active/

12. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I got lucky - I did that with my phone the second day I had it and it came out ok.

Mine is technically no longer water resistant though as I broke the flimsy USB flap cover that fits over it. The quality of that tiny rubber piece is probably my only complaint with the phone.

13. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Do you have the Facebook app downloaded?

Check Google+, makes sure picture upload is not checked.

14. BiGGieStuFF

sep 4th looking to be a big day. Galaxy note 4, moto x, moto g and moto 360 announcment.

15. agslai

agslai Contributing Member

Will I have any issues with T-Mobile if I am in Houston, Katy, and Richmond?

How about Louisiana?

Thanks.

16. BiGGieStuFF

You'll probably have to check t-mobile's coverage map. T-mobile is stronger than AT&T in the part of Sugar land I'm in. It's great for me anyway inside the beltway and around Katy Mills when I go out there. Can't speak for Richmond and deeper parts of Katy or Louisiana unfortunately.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Try turning off Download booster.

18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

TMobile's big flaw is that they dont really have any low frequency spectrum. As a result, the radio from their towers tends to travel shorter distances and doesn't penetrate buildings as well as the low frequency spectrum that Verizon and AT&T use.

However, the flip side of this is that because TMobile's towers are shorter range, they have fewer users per tower which results in faster speeds. I have TMobile in Minnesota where I live and I honestly can't complain. The speeds are by far the fastest and the coverage rarely ever fails (outside of going into say the basement of a building) And its so much cheaper than the other carriers. (plus unlimited international data is so helpful if you travel)

TMobile did buy the rights to a large amount of low frequency spectrum from Verizon and I believe Houston is one of the cities that will receive the new 700 mhz spectrum. Essentially, with this spectrum you'll get the same level of building penetration and long distance that AT&T and Verizon currently enjoy. However, most TMobile phones are not equipped to handle 700 mhz spectrum and TMobile has announced that new 700mhz capable phones wont be for sale until the end of the year. I do believe that the new 700mhz LTE spectrum will be a huge game changer for Houston.

19. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

Not sure if posted but, another mobile phone revolution? 4 real ???

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/4tM5qJFsXeM?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/4tM5qJFsXeM?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

20. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Going to wait on the reviews for the Moto 360, but if it exceeds in terms of hardware and pricing, I think I might consider it.