1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014] Should Morey be fired?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Sep 19, 2014.

?

Should Morey be fired?

Poll closed Sep 26, 2014.
  1. Yes

57 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. No

352 vote(s)
    86.1%
  1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Thanks, forgot about that one. Updated OP. I think making the poll right after the season ends will result in more voting yes. Too many people are upset. That's why I prefer to do it later in the off season.

2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Morey has had 7 years and he has done a pretty good job. I think his biggest mistake was hiring Mchale as coach and I think that's where most of his problems are coming from now. If it means getting rid of Mchale, sad to say I would love to see Morey go. If not he might as well stay, I can't see anybody doing a better job than him, besides hiring Mchale ofcourse.

3. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

as others have stated... i'd love to see morey paired with an awesome coach. but ya... morey stays.

he's an excellent GM.

4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Goodbug please, let the adults talk.

5. arno_ed

Ofcourse we should not fire him. Sure he made some mistakes like every gm. But he is one of the best.

Even the anti morey crowd cannot name a better gm that is available.

6. Raven

Raven Member

Don't be an ass. Morey got lucky, but tanking was looking a whole lot better than another "NBA ready" mid round pick. I'm not diminish what he did, but he essentially pulled off one of the all time great trade steals. You can't blame fans for assuming no team would be that desperate/stupid.

7. Houston288South

Here's a question for all you jokers who think he should be fired. Since you think he should be fired, who would you hire to replace him??

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Danny Ferry

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Morey has done ok so far despite no results but that is mainly due to the inept coaching. Morey's 3 biggest mistakes in his tenure.

1. Hiring pathetic joke of a coach in McHale to begin with
    2. Listening to McHale and drafting Royce White be well
    3. Not firing the embarassment that is McHale

All his other decisions are acceptable. You can't win every trade.

10. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Please remember he chased the coach with the best winning% in franchise history out of Houston too. The players loved Adelman, and he wanted to stay here.

11. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

enough already.

12. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

ridiculous thread

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

No you're red-iculous. Read the OP.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

We were tanking until we got Harden.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

He is not African enough.

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'd love to hear how Morey's done better.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Actually the way Morey was doing it was only a matter of time before we got a superstar, you can see it because DM tried to trade a superstar every time and just didn't have the assets for it. The year prior to the Harden trade the Rox had enough assets to facilitate a superstar trade but not enough to trade for the superstar himself.

Building assets strategy has an inevitability to it, if you kept compiling assets and rolling them over then over time you'd have enough assets to trade for a star, no matter who it might be just depends on who was available. It might seem strange but that's because we're the only team that tried it without any superstar in the fold, if you looked at the Detroit Bad Boys 2 or Celts Big 3 ver 2 that's how they did it though, they got a ton of assets that they were able to convert for a star player like Rasheed Wallace or KG/Ray Allen.

On the other hand if you tanked it meant that you need to reset your team every year, and then once you get your lottery pick you have 4 years max to rebuild from scratch else you're gonna have to tank again or you're stuck with a mediocre team like the Kings or the Hawks after they got Horford.

Maybe Morey himself doesn't see it that way (he's been on record preferring to tank), but personally I liked the rebuild over the tank strat it just seems more sure-fire IMHO.

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

You mean other than putting a quality support cast around Yao and Tracy in 2 years after Dawson put precisely jack **** in 3? or turning around said 2 breaking down to another 2 all nba players in 3 years without tanking, which is basically unprecedented? or not signing Scottie Pippen?

19. arno_ed

And He doesn't overpay to resign scrub backup pointguard

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I notice you didn't mention anything about playoff success. Kind of an important part of the job. Front offices are sort of judged on that sometimes.