1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 NBA Finals: San Antonio vs. Miami

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 31, 2014.

?

San Antonio vs. Miami

Poll closed Jun 4, 2014.
  1. Spurs in 4

1.5%
  2. Spurs in 5

4.2%
  3. Spurs in 6

30.5%
  4. Spurs in 7

33.2%
  5. Heat in 7

8.0%
  6. Heat in 6

21.4%
  7. Heat in 5

1.1%
  8. Heat in 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

MJ gave his all against the Pistons and lost. He gave his all against the Magic in 1995 and they lost. Come on, you really need to stop being so stupid about NBA history- I know you know these things, so why do you continue to pass falsehoods? Are you that dumb?

2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

A lot of people say really stupid things on the web. I don't know if that's because they really are stupid, they're just pretending to be stupid to get a rise out of people, or what, but it's out there.

I don't see how difficult it is to understand that if you win a championship, even one, and you're a great player, you have that to add to your resume. And that not winning a championship does not take you off the list of being an all-time great player (in any conversation about the greatest point guards of all time, John Stockton is always going to be on that list, same with Karl Malone).

It's time for some people to really grow up, get past their weird irrational sports thing that causes them to say stuff like Karl Malone was overrated, LeBron James is a loser, etc. and just look at reality. Because that's what you have on the web in the 21st century in terms of sports fans, a handful of irrational individuals who, in almost any other endeavor, can actually think critically (although some can't and never will). You make it to the NBA, it's an achievement. You stay in the NBA, it's an achievement. You make an All-Star team, it's an achievement. You win a championship, it's an achievement.

But what many out there need to do is let go of their youth and their silly fascination hold on Michael Jordan. Guy played, what, 14 years, and has 6 championships. That's a terrific achievement. He also didn't lead his team to the Finals in 8 of those years. That's 6 and 8, if you look at it that way. Which is about par for almost every player unless your name is Bill Russell or Sam Jones. He was a great player, one of the all-time best, but so is Kobe, TD, LeBron, and all the other usual suspects. And the differences among them are small, not great. Period. Case closed.

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

When people mention Kobe I laugh. The same Kobe that didn't take a shot in the 2nd half of a game 7. The same Kobe who has been swept in a playoff series. The same Kobe who lost 4-1 in a finals also with the most dominant big man in the NBA

4. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

I don't follow anybody except the Rockets all that much, but I thought Washington swept Miami last year.

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The Spurs have been swept in the playoffs. Phoenix beat them 4-0 in 2010.

6. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

I hated the Spurs way before they got good homeboy. I bet if the Spurs faced any other team in the finals like the Pacers, Wizards, ETC, you wouldnt be cheering for the Spurs to win it all.

Rockets fans wanting the Spurs to win are LeBron haters. Which is stupid IMO.

7. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

8. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

^ wrong thread

9. VanityHalfBlack

How about this for an ESPN 30 for 30 special: The Texas Triangle. For the next 5 years, I would like to be hopeful and optimistic that the Larry O Brien trophy is held in this great state. More specifically the Houston Rockets, but can you imagine the story-line?

10. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Congrats to the Spurs - officially "The Empire" strikes back.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Heat hater, not Lebron hater, which isn't stupid at all.

12. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

People that hate the Heat only hated them because LeBron and Bosh went there. Nobody hated them prior to that. Don't be silly. :rolleyes:

13. VanityHalfBlack

You're going in circles man.

14. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Not at all. I appreciate the way they play. I have nothing against them whatsoever. They're in the same state and division as us, big ****ing deal, so what?

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Rockets "fans" cheering for SA further proves how much of a crap sports town Houston is - soft and bandwagoning.

16. Outlier

Outlier Member

Woooo!! Good job Spurs! What a great team.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What a shocker this must be for James. I'm sure he could imagine losing to the Spurs. They're a great team, and they barely beat them last year, but to get smoked 4-1? No way Lebron could have seen that coming. It must be getting clear to him that Wade is sinking down from a superstar to a star who sometimes has throwback games where he looks like we remember. But the grind of the playoffs? He just doesn't have it any more. They cut his minutes, took care to have him ready for the post-season, and he couldn't last through the finals. Heck, next year he could be an elite role player, and that's all.

I think James is going to seriously look at his options. Hell, he's already been vilified for leaving Cleveland the way he did. How could it be worse if he leaves Miami after 2 championships in 4 years and 4 finals appearences? It isn't like the dude has hung Miami out to dry. The reason he came there in the first place is disappearing. I gave James hell here for the whole "decision" crap, and he deserved it, but I won't blame him at all if he leaves for a better chance to build on his legacy. James wants to be seen as at least Jordan's equal. To do that, in my humble opinion, he's going to have to go to another team. One set up for a title run if they can only get that missing piece, some more experience (which they were busy getting this past season), an improved bench, and a key addition to the coaching staff. Someone like Thibs before he moved up. A team like the Houston Rockets. I never imagined that was even a remote possibility, but after watching these finals, and James walking off the court, pissed and disgusted, I no longer find that an impossibility. Unlikely, but not impossible.

18. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

umm how? it;s the truth.

you mean to tell me that people have always hated the heat? It's obvious people started hating them when they got lebron and bosh to go along with wade. No Rockets fans wanted the Mavs to beat the Heat in the finals in 2006, but they did in 2011. Gee I wonder why?

:rolleyes:

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

You and Harden2Dwight just don't get it.

We start off unbiased, because we have NO dog in the fight. And we watch basketball because we like watching basketball. So when you get a team like the Spurs that play great defense and freakin' great offense...why wouldn't we cheer for them?

Spurs exemplify teamwork, ball movement, unselfishness and camaraderie. The Heat would have too, if all but 1 player on their roster came to play in the Finals.

It's hard not to cheer for Tim Duncan, who plays with class. It's not hard to cheer for Kawhi Leonard, who had to take on Durant and then LeBron.

It's hard not to cheer for LeBron, who had to carry a Cavalier-esque Heat team throughout the entire Finals.

Houston wasn't playing in the Finals. And it's not like the Spurs will hold it against us that they have more titles than we do, since they already had more titles before winning this one. So why not cheer for the team that plays within a complete team concept, in the Spurs?

Most of us aren't LeBron haters. Most of us aren't Heat haters. We're simply basketball lovers.

btw I find it funny that some people believe we could have beaten the Spurs in the playoffs because we swept them in the regular season. Spurs turned it up another gear when they escaped the Dallas series in 7.

1 person likes this.
  20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Outside of them both losing I wanted Wade to lose and Duncan to win. I really dislike Parker and Manu but Kawhi and Duncan were great. Lebron was a non factor for me.