1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 NBA Finals: San Antonio vs. Miami

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 31, 2014.

?

San Antonio vs. Miami

Poll closed Jun 4, 2014.
  1. Spurs in 4

1.5%
  2. Spurs in 5

4.2%
  3. Spurs in 6

30.5%
  4. Spurs in 7

33.2%
  5. Heat in 7

8.0%
  6. Heat in 6

21.4%
  7. Heat in 5

1.1%
  8. Heat in 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rockness

Rockness Member

Awesome, fits like a glove! Wow what a championship, a true team championship with role players stepping up like crazy!!

2. instantno0o0dle

As a rockets fan, I don't which is more depressing, the fact that we picked effing marcus morris instead of kawhai leonard or that if we had chose leonard he probably wouldn't be as good as he has been.

3. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Duncan has 3 Finals MVPs

4. downbytheriver

He gave his all , but sometimes that just isn't good enough.
    When mj, Shaw, Kobe give their all... They get results
    Lebon... Always with the excuses
    NBA fans of past decades have recognized this time,and time again

Congrats td

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Yep Parker won the year they swept the Cavs

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

4th place at the Olympics, no medal!

7. VBG

VBG Member

MAnu probably should have won in 2005 and Duncan in 2007.

8. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

Right, and Russell never even won the award, so he couldn't even be in the conversation.

9. verysimplejason

Yup... "REGULAR"... That's the difference. Regular vs Championship. :rolleyes:

10. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

LOL

And the 2014 Moral MVP goes to...:grin:

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Now I know what it feels like to be Seattle in 1994, it sucks

12. noize

noize Contributing Member

I/m so very happy for them Spurs. They deserve this CS and taken back what was theirs last year. Wow, what a nice story book ending considering all of the drama from last year. Those who hate the spurs are just jealous Rocket's and Heat's and Lebron fans. Hard to not root for a team that plays like one, is humble and has a humble coach that I think passes Phil Jackson as the all time great. Was very touching at the end when he just sat there at the bench all by himself soaking everything in and letting out the tears.

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I've hated the Spurs for well over 20 years. As a Rockets fan(the real kind, not a bandwagon one), there are plenty of reasons to despise that franchise. Robinson's dunk after the buzzer that was allowed in 1993 that cost us home court against Seattle which arguably kept us out of the Finals that year. Their 1997 tankjob that rewarded them with Duncan when Boston had way more ping pong balls. The way they got away with abusing the Blazers this postseason while Howard was riding the bench in foul trouble in the previous series. And oh yeah, they're a f'ing in-state rival!

If you want to respect the way the Spurs play ball, have at it. I respected the Mavs for what they pulled off in 2011 against Miami. But it didn't change the fact that I still hated that team and franchise. And I still hate the Spurs. If you bleed Rockets red, I don't see how you can sit here and be happy that in the last 17 years, San Antonio has 5 titles and 6 trips to the Finals and Dallas has 1 title and 2 trips while the Rockets have d-ck. Yes, that says more about this franchise's futility and pathetic management than it does the other Texas teams, but that doesn't mean as a fan I have to suddenly start rooting for the Rockets' rivals.

14. VanityHalfBlack

Thank you captain obvious for pointing that out. Pouring salt on an already open wound doesn't help. It is what it is, no need to become a bitter sports fan (A rockets fan at that) there are far more teams that didn't even win anything, you don't think they feel salty too? Seriously dude, you going back to 1993?

15. count_dough-ku

There's no statute of limitations when it comes to sports. Should Kings fans let go of the 2002 Game 6 screwjob because it's been 12 years? Should Mavs fans get over the 2006 Finals since it's been 8 years? You think Jazz fans are ever gonna get over MJ pushing off on Russell in 1998? Shoot, there are still Pistons fans who get worked up over that foul call late in Game 6 in 1988.

And BTW, while it's true that there are lots of teams that haven't won anything, no NBA franchise outside of the Toronto Raptors has accomplished less in the postseason since 1997 than the Rockets. And no, that's not a typo. We are the worst organization in the NBA other than the one that only came into existence in 1995 in terms of playoff success in the last 17 years. So I have plenty of reason to be bitter or salty.

16. RightToCensor

RightToCensor Member

No Dan Lebatard rant :(

17. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

We really havent given credit to how the Spurs have evolved since the late 90s. The Spurs were a dominant low post team in the late 90s. They played inside out and won a title. They played with elite PG play and won a title. They played with a deep bench and won a title. The Spurs have shown that they can win in all three decades in any kinda style necessary. They have played boring offense and lock down defense and won. They have played a methodical ultra efficient offense and won. What the Spurs have shown is that any system can truly work, as long as players buy into it and just play.

18. VanityHalfBlack

Right here is the difference between bitter sports fan and optimistic sports fan. I'm more of an optimistic and actually excited about the new year and what's in store for the Rockets season of 2014/2014. Come on, are you at least excited about that? No need to dwell on the past man!

19. count_dough-ku

I'm not dwelling on the past. It's not like I'm fixated on 1997 and that Stockton 3-point dagger. I'm focusing on everything that's happened since then up until and including the 2014 playoffs. This 17-year stretch is not some fluke. It coincides with the tenure of Les Alexander as Rockets owner. Let's be frank. The guy inherited that 1993-94 championship team. I'll give him props for having the stones to trade for Clyde in 1995. And I've always defended the Barkley deal. Yes, it mortgaged the future, but it was a necessary move at the time given the roadblock known as the Seattle Supersonics.

But that was 17 years ago. Since then, it's been blown draft picks, horrible contracts(Moochie, Mo Taylor, Cato, Maloney), an obsession with superstars regardless of whether or not they fit here(Pippen, Gasol, Melo), and nothing to show for it in all that time save for 2009 which was short-lived.

Now you ask me if I'm excited for what's in store for the Rockets in the 2014-15 season. Honestly, no I'm not. Because I can tell you right now without being Nostradamus that this team will at best make it to the second round next year. They're not better than the Spurs, Thunder, or Clippers. And I don't even think they're better than the Blazers at this point. A big reason is because the Rockets front office exercised the 4th year option on McHale instead of hiring a decent head coach. And why? Because reportedly Les Alexander really likes the guy.

20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Reading that was like getting punched in the gut over and over and over...