1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014 NBA Draft/1-25] Clint Capela

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 26, 2014.

?

Do you like Houston's choice (draft-and-stash) of Clint Capela at the 25th pick?

1. YES

328 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. NO

79 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No this is a GREAT pick. What do you mean it doesn't save you much money? That 1.5-2 million may be the difference between Carmelo or Lebron coming here. They are already taking a paycut, so you want to leave as much room as possible.

2. j3i

j3i Member

True, Clint is like a top 10 white guy name. Up there with Tyler, Chase, Hunter, Spencer, and Dustin.

3. BAM

BAM Member

Capela was the best pick in the draft, he should have gone in the top 5 imo

Hustle Town likes this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The salary for this pick would be under one million. The cap hold is about 500k regardless. You save very little with a stash.

5. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

You rang!

6. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

Nurkic was the other guy I wanted and I think the guy allot of the posters wanted.
    Nurkic went #16 to the Nuggets.
    I though he might fall to 25.
    It was a long shot for him to fall that far.

Here is a video of Capela playing against Nuric.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CrE1Y9RrBLE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#66 Huricane, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  7. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Or you know, they may view him as BPA.

8. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I'm guessing that whatever Capela's intentions are, the Rockets were well aware of them when they made the pick, so I doubt it'll be an issue.

If it is true that he'd prefer to come over already, I'd look at it as a positive. You still might be able to talk him into staying in Europe for a year or two and you're unlikely to be in another Llull-situation going forward.

1 person likes this.
  9. Raven

Raven Member

He's a tall, long, hyper athletic, extremely raw "intriguing asset" that might tempt other general managers, and he can be stashed overseas. Considering that the pick was at the bottom of the draft, I think it was an educated gamble.

1 person likes this.
  10. meh

meh Contributing Member

500K is nearly the equivalent of keeping Canaan and Daniels in terms of capspace value(700K total between the two). Perhaps even Covington if the Rockets like him.

Also, it's not like the Rockets reached for him. Draftexpress has him at #11. Pelton machine ranking thinks he's one of the best players in the draft. Yahoo has him at #22. Combine the flexibility of him being a Euro AND his overall value, and it's a no-brainer.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Spurs just drafted 6'8" PF. FTW.

12. umcsullivan

umcsullivan Member

anderson

A 6'8'' forward that might be the best passer in the draft

13. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

I don't think the Rockets drafted him strictly because he was a talented Euro guy they could stash.

Capela has real talent, and has the potential to be a solid player when he comes over. The Rockets get the benefit of being able to draft a really atheistic player that would have gone much higher if he was not in Europe.

He gets to develop while he is in Europe and they can bring him over in a couple of years when he is ready. Plus they get the added benefit of not having his cap hit.

Think about it the way, was there a guy that the Rockets could have drafted they they could have put into the line-up ahead of Terrence Jones or Donatas Motiejūnas.

Even if Capela could come over this season, the Rockets would have sent him to the RGV to give him some training and work on shooting as well as strength training.

1 person likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Kyle Anderson? Dejuan Blair?!

15. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Dean on Draft (who is pretty good talent evaluator) has Capella 6th best player.

16. conquistador#11

a tout a l'heure, dwight!

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Lol:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Clint Capela appealed to Rockets because he can say &quot;Somebody guard Lillard&quot; in four languages.</p>&mdash; Mark Whicker (@MWhicker03) <a href="https://twitter.com/MWhicker03/statuses/482346683255099392">June 27, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<iframe src="http://player.theplatform.com/p/zT2_HC/iEazkwCwmKPM/embed/select/qvdSNB0AEwUT?params=zone%3Dcsnvideo&autoPlay=false" width="480" height="270" frameborder="0" seamless="seamless" allowfullscreen>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

19. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Im sold. We should start Capela at point-center. He seems legit!

20. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Will he be batteling Badiane for playing time?