1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 National Signing Day

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Bear_Bryant, Jan 22, 2014.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I guess time will tell, but he is going to have to do a hell of a lot better then 9-4 with zero wins against top 20 teams. Even lowly UT that finished 8-5 had one win against a top 20 team (#12 OU who eventually finished #6). Good luck Aggies.

2. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

And Sumlin is a coaching mastermind? The guy just took 3 potential top 10 picks and lost 4 games. To top it off, he didn't even recruit/eval those guys.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This...

Many A&M fans already think they're an elite SEC team. They posted 10-2 and 9-4 season with Johnny Manziel at QB. Yes, they're recruiting good, but are Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, etc. not recruiting good as well? Can we PLEASE not call them a future "monster" until they accomplish something?

4. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Jajaja! Now you see what we had to deal with in the Big 12. They're y'alls problem now.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

No, I guess I don't see. I know UT has accomplished a lot but still waiting to see if A&M can. National Championship? Multiple trips to the championship game? Conference Championships? Maybe next year it will happen for you, but maybe not. If history is any indicator then I guess I wouldn't hold my breath.

By the way.... just giving you a hard time. A&M does look good on paper.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Y'all are crazy. 9-4 this year was amazing. We had women playing on the 1st and 2nd line of defense.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

When a 9-4 record is described as "amazing", that's when I know the word "monster" should not be used to describe a program until further notice.

8. SacTown

SacTown Member

Sumlin recruited none of those guys on defense. Just wait until his studs start playing. I see a monster in the making.

9. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The troll is back. Everyone with a national championship please stand up, please stand up, please stand up.

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

It's going to be interesting watching A&M without Johnny..

11. Buck Turgidson

I would like to introduce the SEC to Aggiefan. Get used to it, then it will fade away, then get used to it again. Kinda like a comet, or migrating swallows, or your cousin's ovulation.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

What about Saban's studs? Or Malzahn's? Or Les Miles? We could go on and on. Sumlin is recruiting well, no doubt, but so are many, MANY, others. Sumlin hasn't accomplished anything of note, yet. Heck...Malzahn accomplished more in 1 year than Sumlin, and his team was 3-9 the year before! Let's wait and see before crowning Texas A&M the class of the SEC before they've done anything.

13. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

He doesn't care about A&M. He is just a troll. Don't buy into it. I don't say this about any other poster. Nothing to do with being critical of UT. The dude is just a textbook troll.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I was referring to Sumlin's job this year. That defense had 190lb linebackers on it.

Look at all of the longstanding SEC quarterbacks that are leaving this year. Pretty much every team will have a question mark at QB.

Then you look at TAMU who has Joekel (experienced player with NFL size), Kyle Allen (#1QB recruit 2014), Kenny Hill (#4 QB 2013) and Sumlin (QB friendly offense) - and you have a team that is in as good of a position at QB as anyone else in the conference. And TAMU will still be great at LT.

I'm not saying they'll be fine, I'm saying they have as good of a shot as anyone else to have good QB play next year. 3 legitimate high ceiling players competing for a starting spot.

15. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Matt Elam chooses Kentucky over Alabama. He would have made our D line awesome. Oh well, best of luck!

16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I'm cautiously optimistic with A&M. I was around in 99 when we got to as high as #4 in the AP. Ever since that Tech loss, it's been downhill with few minor upticks, so don't blame me if I'm cautious. That said, Sumlin and Manziel has brought success to this program that I have never witnessed. And n my many years following the team, we've never had anywhere close to a top 5 recruiting class. So there's reason for hope.

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Lotta recent buzz looking like Rashaan Evans to Bama. Could be a quite a good day for you Bear_Bryant

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not that it's that specific to Texas A&M, but having the days of having a "top 5 recruiting class" aren't quite as meaningful as they used to be as Mack Brown found out.

Due to population growth and what is more or less the "professionalization" of the HS game, ghe number of athletes at the HS level capable of contributing at a high level in college is now substantially higher than it was back in the 90's, so the gap between a "top 5 class" and a "top 25 class" isn't as stark as it used to be.

Interesting to see if that continues; as research regarding the head-injury aspect of football continues to emerge, more and more parents are going to keep their kids from playing.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah but a barometer is a barometer. Ultimately it does mean something. "Mack brown found out", well Saban hasn't found out... It is what it is.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

thumbs up post dog.