1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Progs, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

While you may be right about Rodon in general, there is simply not enough information to make the bolded claim. There hasn't been a "break the bank" prospect in either of the last two drafts.

2. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Exactly. After 2 drafts, I don't think we can make conclusions on how Luhnow will conduct every single draft going forward. I think Luhnow is smart enough to change his strategy to fully maximize each specific draft.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

fair enough.

we only have 2 data points to go off of, so maybe things will be different this time.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Well I will say this.... there is no guarantee that the Astros take Rodon. For as impressive as he has been, he has the leverage to come back for his senior season if the Astros do not meet his cost, he has had issues with his stuff fading at points, and this draft is a very good one.....

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

And only one of those points to money savings. Sure Appel got less than Bryant, but not by an amount the team couldn't afford. They did not go for the guys that would have gone for significant savings.

6. htownbball

htownbball Member

I think our system is deep enough now that Lunhow may change strategy and will go for the high impact guys instead of spreading the money around. I'm hoping a hitter will prove himself to be an alternative should Rodon scuffle or ask for a crazy amount.

7. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Rodon definitely seems like the surefire pick right now, but many of the high school arms are just now starting to strut their stuff. Tyler Kolek was an animal in the PG AA game last night, and I won't be surprised if scouts start to say he has more upside than Rodon.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

We are deep now and we perhaps have the #1 farm at this point, but soon enough, we will depleting the top guys and moving them up to the major league level which will deplete the farm to an extent.

For a sustainability, we will need to replace a lot of talent. Its not like in the next 2-3 years we simply move up the minor league talent and were done. And once we start winning, it will be a bit harder given our draft position will fall.

So I am not so sure the strategy changes too much in terms of continuing to load the farm. But it may change WRT the type of FA's we target and sign.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

High School Arms don't go #1. Lots of good HS arms this year, and hope maybe catch one with our 2nd or 3rd pick.

10. HstnSprtsFan101

Yeah I would be pretty upset if we went with a high school arm 1st overall(Kolek), such a big risk, would rather take a more polished college arm(Rodon)

Kolek has been doing some pretty wild things though, hit 102 at the Area Code showcase. That's just unreal

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

#1 pick in draft for the rest of the decade!!

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Should we settle for minor league titles?

13. Progs

Progs Member

If the Astros want to win sooner you go with Rodon who could be up in the Majors by June 2015. Other than Rodon if Astros do draft him no one in the 2014 draft I think will be up by the time Astros make a playoff push in 2015/16. Kolek has eveything you want as a pitcher BUT he is in HS and problaby won't reach the Majors until 2017 at the earliest unless he just dominates in the Minors. But Jeff Luhnow goes for who has upside but is better talent when draft comes around.

14. Progs

Progs Member

Don't think so. If Astros sign a good bullpen and develop or sign a good closer I can see them winning 70 games next year. The year after that maybe 85 wins.

15. Progs

Progs Member

Plus 2015 mlb draft is pretty weak and no real number prospect so we cashout just time.

16. Nook

Nook Member

You take the best player available period. I would argue that it is more likely that we are NOT going to make a playoff push in 2015/2016 than we are. Obviously I HOPE the Astros do, but the transition from minor leaguer to major leaguer is not easy, and in the case of the Astros, you are relying on a number of players being above average major leaguers early in their career.

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think that Luhnow will add two or three significant pieces to the bullpen in the offseason. I think that strengthening the bullpen is the fastest way to a non-100 loss season.

18. Progs

Progs Member

You are right but im betting on Springer and Singlenton to be two studs early on. If Altuve continues to get better next year Astros have a nice trio of nucleus.

19. Progs

Progs Member

Yes it just felt that Luhnow just Tank this season for the sake of another number one pick in a very deep draft. Luhnow is the Sam Hinke of baseball. IM ok with the plan because the Astros have the best farm system now and weren't going anywhere plus they have a chance of adding a monster draft class in 2014 and aslong as they start to focus on winning in 2014 by signing a few but in Morey smart type of way free agents. Bring up the top tier prospects ready for the Majors and the rest will take care of itself.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I will be surprised if Altuve is ultimately part of the long term plan. I think he's incredibly overrated by Astros fans because the talent around him is so poor.

His contract is very friendly...which would make it easy to move him.

Honestly, I don't want Altuve standing in the way of Deshields, Jr.