1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Progs, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

On another note, how awesome would it be if the Cubs can't sign Kris Bryant, and we end up drafting him next year, much like what happened with Appel, hahaha!

2. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I think I would rather have one of the pitchers, unless Bryant somehow falls to the second round

3. Progs

Progs Member

Well Astros have the worst record in the Majors and about to pull away from the Marlins who are playing real good right now .

4. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

Still a lot of baseball left. Here's hoping...

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

As bad as the Marlins were playing I thought there was no chance to get the #1 again. Can't believe we fought back to the worst again. Still hope for -

[​IMG]

6. Progs

Progs Member

If the Astros have the 1st pick man will they have a good problem who to choose.

1. Carlos Rodon
    2. Touki Toussaint
    3. Alex Jackson

7. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Fox's Kiley McDaniels profiles one of the early 2014 #1 pick candidates,HS SS Jacob Gatewood. Redact his name from the scouting report, and you might think the article is about Carlos Correa. He a projects an upside similar to recent big SS prospects like Correa, Machado, and Tulo. He's reported to be solid defensively with a big arm, bat speed, and plus power; but at 6'5 and with only average speed, he may outgrow the SS position. He's ranked as McDanield's #1 prep position prospect at this time and may be in the conversation to go 1.1 next draft

http://sbb.scout.com/2/1306609.html

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Has a team ever had the worst record 3 years in a row?

9. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Since 1965 (I assume when the draft started?), no one has. The most has been 2 years in a row done by the devil rays/rays in '06-'07, the Nationals in '08-'09, and the Astros in '11-'12.

Here's a list of the top overall picks: http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

At this point, it's by design. Most other teams owners would have panicked, spent frivolous money on past-prime players, and fielded a mediocre (but not dead last) team.

I'd rather have 3 dead last years followed by real promise vs. a lull of 15+ years that some mid market teams went through.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Cubs sign No. 2 pick Kris Bryant

The Chicago Cubs announced Friday they signed No. 2 overall draft pick Kris Bryant, who took batting practice with the team before their game against the St. Louis Cardinals at Wrigley Field.

A source told ESPNChicago.com on Wednesday that Bryant's signing bonus is $6.7 million, the highest for a draft pick in this year's class.

12. Buck Turgidson

Seriously, a year away?

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

The last two draft threads were also made around mid-June.

14. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I enjoy tracking these guys for the season leading up to the draft. It's interesting to see who rises to the occasion and who fades, plus seeing relative unknowns explode on the scene a la Jonathan Gray last year.

15. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Agreed. It is also interesting to see guys like Sean Manaea go up and down.

16. Progs

Progs Member

Astros best bet would be Rodon as he can probably be as polish as Appel next season. Having Cosart,Appel,and Rodon by 2015 season can be sick. Astros '15 can be the Nationals of last year without the pitch count problem from Strasburg.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

We should know by 2015 what we have in Lyles/Tropeano/Cosart/Woj/Foltynewicz.

Michael Feliz is another guy in the system that I am very excited about (originally signed by the A's for $800K, but had his contract voided to to roids). He's a guy I singled out in the pick a prospect thread as a lower ranked guy to keep an eye on.

Velazquez & McCullers are also high ceiling guys we may see around 2015.

18. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Uh... 8:1 strike out to walk ratio for Feliz? Yes please:

[​IMG]

I don't know if you can "win" the prospect selection, but I think you may have. He's added to my watch list. At 19 years of age, he is just dominate. I wonder if we will see him at Quad City by year's end.

And you are right. Velazquez and McCullers deserve just as much of an eye. Our farm system has just sky rocketed with valuable arms over the past few years.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It was following Correa/Ruiz/McCullers that caught me onto Feliz. It was the first time I've really paid much attention to rookie ball. His starts were just too good to ignore.

20. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member