1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Houston Dynamo / MLS Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Beavis Stiffler, Jan 11, 2014.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

This guy has proven himself in the MLS and is widely considered to be a very good prospect. Landin is a nobody. And this team absolutely needed a goal scorer

2. Beavis Stiffler

I agree with rhino17. SwoLy-D, just check out his highlights from last year when he mostly carried a very poor Chivas USA team.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MTL6en9mSs8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/J86QQV_ntG4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm not sure how anyone would see this as a bad signing. This is a huge move for a team largely devoid of any real goal scoring talent. This, thankfully, makes Bruin expendable for the next team willing to trade for him offering as little as a bag of used practice balls. Adding a forward that is an actual threat takes pressure off the mids. There was no reason to mark Bruin because, well, he was absolutely no threat to do anything. Teams were able to leave him alone and concentrate on the mids. This should open more space for Barnes, Davis, and Garcia. Not only that, Torres is the first forward we've had since they moved here that could actually turn and dribble at defenders.

They still need midfield and defensive depth but this makes us instantly better.

4. joeson332

joeson332 Member

its been real Bruin

5. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

6. Hustle Town

7. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Why you gonna be mad at AEG?
    Did you really think Stevie G or any English star would be thinking of joining any of the Texas teams?
    '
    Get mad if AEG gets a Spanish or African star to the Galaxy. The British stars dont give a toss about the Texas teams or cities.

8. Hustle Town

I'm not mad at Gerrard. I'm mad because AEG won't spend any money on the Dynamo; they spend it all on the Galaxy. That's frustrating to say the least.

9. Beavis Stiffler

meh. I'll still take a very good young player in his 20's with a lot of potential over a very good overseas player in his mid-to-late 30's. Just my opinion.

Gerrard will be 35 before he plays an MLS game and has definitely shown signs of aging. Lampard (New York City FC) may well be 37 for his debut, if it ever happens, he's still on "loan" with Manchester City. Kaka (Orlando City) will be turning 33.

I understand the MLS desperately needs to sign these stars after Donovan, Beckham, and Henry left and also this league is getting more sales on jerseys/kits from star players they just signed and better TV contracts from ESPN and Fox Sports.

10. ferrari77

I know you're not mad at Gerrard and are mad at AEG. I'm saying it shouldn't be the case in this situation.
    I can understand if it was say David Villa or some other player who wouldn't mind playing in Houston and AEG refused to spend the money on said player.
    At least they're spending on Torres so that's one decent move by AEG for the Dynamo.

11. Hustle Town

They spent money on one player. Whoopty damn do.

12. ferrari77

Yep. They spent money on one big name good player. That's one more than last year.

My point is still, when there's a big name Latin player or one from the African countries that goes to LA instead of Houston, then get pissed at AEG. For now, that's not the case. A young star Latin player was available and AEG penciled him in for Houston. TRUST me on this, he could have so easily been a Galaxy player with Donovan now retired. Torres' agent is based in LA. He just finished playing a season in LA. You think he wouldn't have wanted to spend another year in LA and playing for the best team in the league (instead of Chivas USA like last year)and living in Manhattan Beach?

Sheesh, I can def give AEG their props for getting Torres to Houston and hopefully more will follow.

13. leroy

You're right...but that doesn't change the fact that AEG does not treat the Dynamo as being on par with the Galaxy. They never have and likely never will. I fully understand the market dynamics between Houston and LA. However, it's long past time for AEG to sell their shares in the Dynamo and not be a multi-team owner. I wish I knew what happened with Les Alexander's failed deal to buy the team and I'm surprised that no one else locally has stepped up to buy the team. This situation is still the one shred of evidence that the MLS has not grown up from their early days. There should not still be multiple teams with one owner nearly 20 years in.

14. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind the team being sold but there's no guarantee that the new owners will be any better. And the blame may not be 100% on AEG. There are two other owners that have a say in what happens and it's possible Dom wasn't on board with the high priced players available, we'll see if that was a factor or not pretty soon.

Also, the schedule for 2015 is out now.

15. leroy

You're right that there's no guarantee that they'd be better...but there is a guarantee that the clear conflict of interest would be eliminated. If only for that reason, the team should be sold.

Galaxy will be here in late July, so we should get one of Gerrard's early games with them.

Hoping to go to the Orlando FC game (2nd game of the season) to see Kaka.

16. smr6

smr6 Member

Altidore supposedly interested in a return to the MLS. NYRB, Toronto, and Portland all rumored to be interested if he decides to make the move. Obviously Klinsman won't be happy if it happens.

In my opinion though, on one hand I love to see Americans get chances in the big leagues around Europe. On the other hand though, with the recent success American Soccer has had in gaining interest across the country, the next step might require more of our stars returning to the MLS. We've already seen it start to happen with the likes of Dempsey, Bradley, and Jones coming back, as well as Diskerud's reported signing with NYCFC. The MLS needs star power in order to grow itself and become a more serious and respected league. What is the best way to pique that interest? Bring in the stars that people know.

How it will effect the USMNT in the present is up in the air, but it could benefit American Soccer in the long run if these guys keep returning home.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'd put growing the MLS as a higher priority than the USMNT.

The MLS has the momentum and with stars it could become something much larger, better. Strike while the iron is hot. The National is going through a transition anyway. Use the popularity of the league to foster talent at home.

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I agree. Acquiring more fans for the domestic league will automatically garner more fans for the national team. The opposite isn't necessarily true. Increasing the talent base for the MLS will reap greater rewards for American soccer than just having a national team that can get to the round of 16 every 4 years.

19. DrLudicrous

20. DrLudicrous

Playing in MLS will help Altidore a lot more than sitting on bench in England. Also, as more top US players choose to stay/return to MLS the better the league will become. Obviously MLS will still be behind the top leagues but with the best US players it should be a better option than the smaller European leagues.