1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Free Agents

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Scolalist, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

With the Astros attendance being well above projection and even going over the 30,000 mark a few times in the last week and the likelihood Norris and Veras come off the books, I think the Astros could spend some money. I know they don't want to commit too that many players and hold back prospects but I think a 2-3 yr deal for an outfielder and maybe a starter would not have long term affects.

I'd really like too see Hunter Pence back and possibly take a run at Garza with 2-3 yr offers for both

Astros could field a lineup next year of Villar, Altuve, Castro, Springer, Singleton, Pence, Carter, Maxwell, Dominguez

Rotation of Cosart, Garza, Lyles, Keuchel, ?

2. Nook

Nook Member

3. 45souf

45souf Member

As much as I like the idea of buying FA, the ownership has not shown that it will go that route

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Bullpen or a corner outfield bat are the only possible FA targets.

Our pitching staff is backlogged with prospects as is.

Keuchel, Lyles, Cosart, Wojieochowski, Peacock, Foltynewicz, Tropeano, Appel. Thats 8 pitchers that we are gonna have to judge over the next 2 years, not to mention other less heralded prospects. We need innings for these guys. Were not gonna compete next year anyhow.

We really don't have any corner outfield prospects, so signing a Hunter Pence type might not be a bad idea, but I highly doubt this regime is willing to spend money right now.

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Pence and Garza won't be signing 2-3 year deals, they certainly wouldn't be signing a 2-3 year deal with a team that is re-building the way we are. I would be all for adding a good impact bat for the OF, but you aren't going to get it done with a short term deal.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

No FA in his right mind would sign with a 100 loss team.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think we need to quit thinking that way. The turn around could be extremely quick.

8. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

I don't think we can say that after only having this ownership in place for one full offseason. Luhnow even recently said that they would look at 2-3 year mid level free agents this offseason. The problem with the op is that neither Pence nor Garza (barring some kind of major injury that destroys their value) will sign for 2-3 years. Garza can look at Sanchez and Jackson from last offseason and legitimately feel like he'll be able to sign for something along the lines of 5/75. Pence should also be able to find a 4-5 year deal out there as well. Perhaps they'd be willing to take a risk on someone like Lincecum or Josh Johnson, who might be willing to take short term deal to build their value back up.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Last year I talked to Luhnow and he said that he hopes the fans can stick around for one more season (the 2013 year), which indicates to me that this is the trough year, and we could start taking on additional salary in the 2014 year. Of course that additional salary would need to be done in such a way that we don't block prospects or take on long term contracts detrimental to our overall rebuilding plan.

10. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I would love to have Pence, Berkman, and Melancon back

11. Progs

Progs Member

Luhnow has said that he will finally sign a couple of free agents to complement the young talent next season. I am hopeful that the 100 loss teams are behind the Astros after 3 years of just tanking to rebuild the right way. Getting Carlos Rodon is HUGE. Now the Astros will have enough depth in the minors after the Norris trade and after the 2014 mlb draft were even if they bring the top talent by next year's opening roster the farm system will remain super strong.

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Of course they would for more money.

I don't see the Astros making any big FA pickups until the 2015 season. My optimistic hope is the Astros can go about 75-87 next season with all of the prospect call-ups, and then Crane decides to bring in a big name FA or two so we can make a playoff push in 2015.

13. HouAstrosBlog

HouAstrosBlog New Member

Maybe A Low-Cost Bat Or Reliever

I don't see the Astros signing a big-time free agent like Garza. They might go after some low-cost relievers or a cheap bat to generate some pop in the middle of the Astros' lineup.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Mid-level guys who want playing time and exposure would certainly be interested in signing a short term contract with Houston.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Pence makes $13,000,000+ this year. Offensively his OBP, SLG, OPS, HR and RBIs are almost the same as Carter who makes less than $500,000.

Pence has is a likeable guy who plays hard, but he is not worth $13,000,000/year.

16. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

What about guys like Ryan Madson? A quality reliever that can either be kept for a few years or traded. They are more valuable than most realize. The one thing that would make me shy away from it is if it cost us a draft pick... but I doubt he leaves PHI unless the price is right

17. juicystream

Madson is with the Angels...

Hasn't pitched since 2011.

18. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I would love to see us spend money on the bullpen and that's it.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

i wonder how much longer berkman wants to play. he's 37...if he had any desire to play until his 40's, i'd love him back.

platooning lance at 1st, dh, lf for the next several year sounds pretty darn appealing to me.

20. juicystream

With Carter/Wallace/Singleton, doesn't seem likely.