1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014 FIBA World Cup] Team USA Group Stage

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Aug 30, 2014.

1. traveler

traveler Member

lol

Yeah I see what you are saying before. Faried I thought acted a bit slow but he was guarding a man himself.

Harden looked to be doing what he was supposed to. Even if he had dropped off to pursue there was nothing he could have done to stop the play except maybe foul.

2. jbasket

jbasket Member

Yep. Harden looked pretty lazy, but did exactly as supposed to.

3. jbasket

jbasket Member

As a PF, Faried should really be quick enough to hedge and recover. He is not big or long enough to play contain as he was in that play. The passing lane is too easy to find against somebody his size/length, compared to somebody like AD/Asik, and many other good defensive centers.

I haven't watched the games, so if that is how the PF/C are both playing... fair enough.

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

why dont they call it a charge?

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:mad: MOther Ffff...

[​IMG]

OK, I'll admit I LOL'd. :grin:

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

If it takes no skill and is so easy to do, then why aren't more players doing it?

I would think other players would try to utilize a big tool that Harden has used to become a top 5 MVP candidate, All NBA and max level guy.

Truth is it's not easy. You have to be deceptive, strong and highly skilled to bait guys to get into bad defensive position and then take advantage of it.

7. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Yeah I think it's a bit disingenuous to minimize the skill it takes to do what harden does going to the basket. He has to be crafty enough to get the defender to attempt swiping at the ball and create contact, strong enough to absorb contact, while agile enough to still move and create space. I agree, if it's something that requires little skill you should see more guards being able to do it. It's one of his skills that makes harden elite offensively and why you can go to him to close out games.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Faried was in no mans land on that play, he wasn't guarding anything at all. He was too far back to guard the ball, and he was too far off Ayon to guard him.

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

You'd need to have been born on krypton to play contain from where he was standing.

10. jbasket

jbasket Member

I think we agree that he did not have a good defensive possession.

11. JonRetro

JonRetro Contributing Member

anyone else watching? harden playin like complete **** lol. drives to the basket and hit nothing but backboard. but at least USA still up.. i hope he turns his game up a notch

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Harden struggling. Missed all 8 shots, &amp; now has tunnel vision on rim. Drew two defenders on drive &amp; missed again w/ Klay alone in corner.</p>&mdash; Sam Amick (@sam_amick) <a href="https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/509428625955774466">September 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Team USA shot just 36.2% in the first half, with <a href="https://twitter.com/JHarden13">@JHarden13</a> missing all eight of his shots. <a href="http://t.co/R6lW6rvJLk">pic.twitter.com/R6lW6rvJLk</a></p>&mdash; NBA on ESPN (@ESPNNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNNBA/status/509430180553981953">September 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#232 J.R., Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  13. yunac010

yunac010 Member

All the guards other than Thompson have been crap.

Where's the new and improved Derrick Rose? Still waiting to see him...

14. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

gosh these announcers are annoying

15. VanityHalfBlack

Faried an Davis is the reason they're up big right now.

16. VanityHalfBlack

Goran Dragic sits out, USA pummels Slovenia.

17. VanityHalfBlack

Is it just me or Klay Thompson has been freaking solid this whole tournament? Expect him to have a huge season this upcoming season.

18. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Honestly, he has a very good case of ending up being more successful than Curry if they were on different teams as either the primary or secondary scorer. He's good.

19. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Very good 3rd quarter from Harden. 12 points on 5 shots.

20. traveler

traveler Member

lol

No he was stinking it the first few games but he has gotten better.