1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Draft targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by awc713, Nov 10, 2013.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

Not a big college football guy, was wondering if y'all had your eye on certain players. Obviously it's tough to project, because we don't know our slot and it's hard to tell what rounds players will be available in.

I don't think we'll be high enough to get him, but we should take Clowney in a heartbeat if he falls to us. I love Bridgewater and Mariota, but neither will fall to us. This is a deep QB class, so I don't really want to take 1 in the first round unless its one of those two.

But then again, I dont watch that much college football.

Thoughts? Targets?

2. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

If the draft were tomorrow, the Texans would have the #4 overall pick. Plenty of good, not great, options at QB, and some talented big nasties, including Matthews (A&M), Lewan (Michigan), and Kouandjio (Alabama), should be within reach.

3. AFS

AFS Member

Wouldn't mind taking an OL in the 1st if there's someone good available.

4. IPSAC

IPSAC Member

Can you guys imagine Jadeveom Clowney lining up next JJ Watt and a healthy Cushing. It really wouldn't matter who the Texans have in the secondary, aint no QB will have time to throw.

5. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Anthony Barr would be a much better fit that Clowney. Just my 2 cents

6. SevenMinuteAbs

I like him a lot. I also like Shayne Skov ILB from Stanford.

7. Remix

Remix Member

Assuming top 10 maybe even top 5 pick

ILB - CJ Mosley
    OLB - Anthony Barr
    OT - Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan
    DT - Louis Nix

Still early though as there will always be fast risers that come out of no where once the draft process begins, i.e with last years draft, Eric Fisher, Lane Johnson, DJ Hayden

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Anthony Barr is who we need

9. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

second or third round I'd be ok with Skov, ILB is a weak position this year expect Mosley to be gone in the top ten.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Don't count the Texans out just yet. This is the NFL, Any Given Sunday...

Jacksonville or Tampa Bay could have a brain fart and accidentally win! Like today. Ha.

Texans are clearly now taking care of business. #3 pick is my personal goal. If I lose enough times gracefully, then maybe the karma will contribute to the Texans' efforts to lose it all.

11. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I'm not rooting against the Texans, but they aren't making the playoffs and even if they did...:eek:

Anyway I don't want to see the Texans lose but I'll gladly take a top 3 pick if that is the reward for losing in a season that is lost rather to see them go 7-9 and end up with good talent but not elite.

My wish is Clowney or Mariota either one and I'm ecstatic with Barr being the 2nd option if both are off the board.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Definitely Bridgewater or Mariotta if they're available, and I'd even be fine with Manziel if we could trade down.

If no quarterback...you gotta think Anthony Barr would be a great addition to the defense, or go with Taylor Lewan or Jake Matthews to shore up the line.

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I'm rooting against the Texans, because I am practical and understand that we can turn it around and make a championship run next year. All we have to do is take out our knives and carve out that moldy, rotten core. Other teams have done it. Look at the Colts from two years ago to last year. One good draft and one good reset of the coaching regime is all it takes.

It looks like we may get our wish, FINALLY, after pretty much five years too many into the Kubiak experiment. Aside from 2011 really, Texans football has basically just been some bizarro Groundhog day scenario where each and every year I feel like I'm rooting for Bob Dole over there on the sidelines. It's like our coach was stumping with the Whig Party company line of 1904: "Well, umm, I do believe things are fine just the way they are!"

You wanna know why the Texans (and the Astros too) have never won anything in their franchise's history? Because they make hiring decisions, up and down the organization, based on the Good Ole' Boy algorithm. Gary Kubiak, Rick Smith, Rick Smith pt 2, Frank Bush, David Gibbs, Rick Dennison, and yes even Wade Smith were the result of this. Eight years is way too much. Eight years is more than double what the average new coach in the NFL gets. Don't feel bad for Gary. He did well. Now it's time to change.

14. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

If we don't end up with a top 5 pick I'd keep an eye out on Jason Verrett, CB from TCU, he's an extremely good lock down corner and would be very useful for this team. I wonder if the Texans might go QB or OLine first round though.

15. sydmill

sydmill Member

So much depends on what we do with the coach though. If we drop kubiak and co. (as they should, TIA or not), you have to think the new regime drafts "their guy" to play QB. Mariotta would be hard to pass up, but if Case is serviceable, going Tamba Bay style and putting a talented top notch D out there hoping to win games 21-14 might be the tactic. Im hoping Bob would consider a guy like Mike Zimmer (cincy's D coordinator and a guy many think is primed to run the show somewhere who is a true no nonsense, kick your ass type of coach) would be a strong possibility. Getting our coaching house in order is priority #1. Also have to think a trade down for Cle #1s might be possible for Hundley, Boyd or another QB should one drop or they fall in love. I am also starting to warm to the idea of Jackso Jeffcoat in the 2nd or 3rd to play OLB and maybe Malcolm Brown in the 3rd or 4th to replace Tate (as a UT fan I think each has potential to be better than theyve shown while on the 40 acres).

16. Raven

Raven Member

Roster has been exposed, if not a QB then best player available.

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Sammy Watkins, FTR!!!!

18. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

We need a QB and a defense right now.

I wish we could have the luxury to draft a 3rd receiver but I don't expect Watkins to be on our draft board unless it's the 2nd round.

19. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Akili Smith was the last great Oregon QB taken in the top 5. Just remember that folks.

20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I've watched a bunch of film on Barr.

The same breed as Mercy/Brooks...

No pass rush moves.... This draft is terribly overrated by the way.