1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Jon Gray with another dominant AA outing today.

5.1IP 4H 0R 0ER 1BB 6K

All while Appel can't hack it in A+

Get your head out of the sand, kid.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Appel is certainly got his work cut out for him... but I wouldn't exactly call that start "dominating".

If Appel had that start, I'd simply just think that's what's expected of him... but would still want him to put up some truly "dominant" minor league starts before declaring him "ready".

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Domingo Santana just gave OKC a 3-1 lead over Round Rock with a 2-run homer (3) in the 6th.

4. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Gray only threw 88 pitches.

I am not sure what's not dominating about 5+ innings of shut out baseball with more strike outs than innings pitched?

If Appel put up those numbers in AA... I would jump for joy.

But, Appel is in extended spring training... demoted from A+... lmao.

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Here I am again, thinking to myself.. "Wow. That Htown_DieHard kid is really annoying. I wonder how old he is?" Then I remembered you're the same kid that posts in every Texans thread jabbing at Clowney and promoting Bridgewater. And now you've invaded my Astros prospect happy place with your repetitive nonsense.

Please don't go into the GOT thread and ruin it for me as well. I don't care which book you think was better or how bad the show is messing up from what the book was supposed to be. Please.

Nick-- the best thing about Appel v. Gray is that we don't have to hear about Buxton near as much these days.

Tellit-- I never post, but I really appreciate all your recaps and everything you've done for this site's minor league info. Your recaps are the only reason I come into the Astros section.

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Even though Mark Appel isn't injured, to be sure there is a physical element to adjusting to pro ball (ie soreness): <a href="http://t.co/6o4HECOisu">http://t.co/6o4HECOisu</a></p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/statuses/460994259403816960">April 29, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Appel not injured, but adapting to pro ball includes physical adjustments
    Posted on April 28, 2014 at 10:20 pm by Evan Drellich in General

Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow hammered home last week that top pitching prospect Mark Appel was not sent to extended spring training because he was hurt or injured. Rather, Luhnow said Appel has had trouble adjusting to the routine of pro baseball coming from college.

But the adjustment is inherently a physical one, and naturally, some if not most of Appel’s trouble has been physical. Luhnow said that Appel has dealt with arm soreness, but, again, nothing to indicate an actual injury.

“There’s a rhythm that any pitcher goes through in terms of when you’re throwing with intensity and when you’re throwing just between starts to maintain that arm strength, to loosen up your arm,” Luhnow said. “There’s a whole cycle that the arm goes through, of use and rest. And the cycle in pro ball is very different than college ball so it’s primarily — obviously, you have to be mentally in tune with your body and know how you feel and how it’s supposed to feel.”

Luhnow said that in ruling out an injury for Appel, Appel didn’t not require any examination that was out of the ordinary, and that Appel did not need an MRI.

A player who contrasted Appel’s situation last year was Brady Rodgers.

A 23-year-old righty, Rodgers is the ace of the Class AA Corpus Christi pitching staff with 22 strikeouts and just four walks in 28 inning. He has a 2.25 ERA. Rodgers went to Arizona State and was a third-round draft pick in 2012.

Rodgers was afforded greater time to adjust to the minors than Appel, who had limited innings last year.

“I used Brady Rodgers as an example when I was talking to Mark,” Luhnow said. “Brady Rodgers signed very quickly. Pac-10 guy, just like Mark. Pitching every Friday night, just like Mark. … But he went to short-season (ball), and he immediately went into the 10-man tandem, so he was pitching every sixth day. And for a period of two months for his first summer in pro ball, he got used to that cycle and he came to spring training the next year and he got built up the way we built everybody up. And then he went out to Lancaster and had a full, complete, healthy year there. Now he’s having a complete healthy year in Double AA. It’s very different with Appel because he didn’t have any of those steps because we had limited innings with him last year.”

Luhnow has put blame for Appel on himself because Appel didn’t have a proper spring training before being sent out to Class A Lancaster.

More pitchers expected to resume throwing this week

Another rehabbing right-hander in Florida, reliever Jesse Crain, is expected to resume throwing early this week, Luhnow said. Crain was responding well to anti-inflammatories after a diagnosis of bursitis in his right elbow.

Righty Matt Albers, on the 15-day disabled list with right-shoulder tendonitis, is also to attempting to throw this week. He remains with the big-league team.

7. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Very very hard to take you seriously when you promote that you "loved the motie pick" and that you're "hoping for austin rivers"... You should probably remove that mindless drivel, it's not good for your look.

Anywho, yes I am a huge Bridgewater fan, and I am not a fan of the Mark Appel pick. I made that clear way before he was demoted to spring training, so it's not like I am flip flopping.

Don't worry, I don't need to discuss GOT with Clutchfans. I did not read the books, but I'm a huge fan of the show. Hopefully you stick to the books because you come across as a whiny little b!tch. Stay tough behind that keyboard!!!

8. Buck Turgidson

Damn, kid, I hope Luhnow was nice enough to give you a reach-around.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Please stop quoting him, I've got hm on ignore and it doesn't work if he gets quoted.

1 person likes this.
  10. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

HTown_Diehard, I believe you completely missed the point of my rebuttal to you. I'm not sure if it is a lack of comprehension or just ignoring my point, or simply that I was ineffective in explaining the point.

At the end of the day, it is way too early to deem either Gray or Appel "the right pick." That is all I am saying. If going over every stat line from Gray's start helps you feel better, then please continue doing so. But please note that it really doesn't strengthen your argument. In fact, there really isn't an argument to be made. Their respective careers will speak from themselves. We should have a nice sample of their careers within the next 3 years. They should both be up and have started their MLB careers. Then all we have to do is see who is the better MLB pitcher. Then we can follow their MLB careers (hopefully both are long and fruitful), and simply discuss who is better, which should be more obvious at that point, as we would then have factual data to back up our claims. At the end of the day, you might be 100% correct, and Gray could be a dominant MLB ace, and Appel might be relegated to a solid #3 guy. At that point, in 5-7 years, we can re-visit. But thus far the deliverance of your arguments and persuasive skills have been viewed by most as less effective and more annoying. Well, I shouldn't talk for the others, but that is at least my take on it.

11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Monday Stories

2 out of 3. Not bad.

Preston Tucker, next Astros DH?

Oklahoma City 4, Round Rock 1

The RedHawks took the opener with 4 unanswered runs over the final third of the game.

Domingo Santana broke a 1-1 tie with his 2-run homer, and Jon Singleton sealed it with his PCL-leading 9th blast of the year. Everyone in the lineup had a hit except for Jonathan Meyer. Robbie Grossman went 2-4 with an RBI single in the 3rd that put OKC on the board and tied the game at 1. OKC got 2-4 nights from Grossman, Ronald Torreyes, and Carlos Perez.

Rudy Owens went 4 innings and gave up a run on 6 hits and struck out 4. Darin Downs was the first man out of the bullpen and threw 2 scoreless, allowing a hit and striking out 1. Jason Stoffel struck out 2 in a 1-2-3 7th, Kevin Chapman allowed a hit, walked 1, and struck out 2 over 1.1 scoreless frames, and Josh Zeid got the final 2 outs of the evening, striking out 1.

Mike Foltynewicz will be on the mound for game 2 of this series. He'll be taking on Justin Germano at 7:05.

Corpus Christi 11, Frisco 2

The Hooks earned the split in emphatic fashion as they jumped out to a 5-0 lead after 4 innings, and after Frisco scored a pair in the 5th, they buried them with 6 unanswered to close out the game.

Andrew Aplin opened up the scoring with a 2-run single in the 3rd. Not long after that, Preston Tucker joined in on the act with a 2-run ground rule double. René Garcia added to the lead by starting off the bottom of the 4th with a homer. Leo Heras then clubbed an RBI triple in the 6th and wound up scoring on a wild pitch later in the inning. Aplin and Tucker then destroyed Jon Edwards' soul by taking him deep in the 7th. Aplin's (1) was a 2-run shot, and Tucker's 5th was solo. And finally, Joe Sclafani provided the cherry with an RBI triple in the 8th. Tucker finished 3-4, Aplin went 2-5, and Jio Mier finished 2-4 with a double and 2 runs scored.

Luis Cruz started off with 4 scoreless and allowed 2 hits while striking out 4. R.J. Alaniz tagged in for 2.2 innings and allowed 2 runs on 2 hits, walked 4, and fanned 1. Michael Dimock finished it off with 2.1 scoreless, allowing a hit, walking 1, and striking out 1.

Corpus will now hit the road for 4 in scenic Midland, Texas. In the opener, Matt Heidenreich and Tom Shirley will take the mound to take on Andrew Werner at 6:30.

High Desert 13, Lancaster 4

The JetHawks were sent to their 3rd straight loss as the Mavericks buried them with a 7-run 9th, turning a 6-2 game into a laugher.

Kyle Westwood went 4 innings and allowed 4 runs on 5 hits (2-run homer), walked 3, and struck out 1. Mitch Lambson pitched the next 2 innings and gave up 2 runs on 4 hits and struck out 4. Richard Rodriguez, who was just activated prior to the game, was the only JetHawk pitcher to have a scoreless outing, striking out 4 over 2 perfect frames. Juan Minaya bore the brunt of the High Desert assault, as he gave up 7 runs (2 inherited runners charged to him) on 4 hits and walked 3, getting 2 outs in the 9th. Dan Minor got the final out of the 9th, but not before allowing a 2-run triple to Tim Lopes.

The offense didn't mail it in, though, as they got a pair in the 8th on a couple of RBI singles from Rio Ruiz and Bobby Borchering, and 2 more in the 9th on a Ruben Sosa RBI single and a Tony Kemp RBI triple. Kemp and Brandon Meredith had 2 hits apiece, while Sosa (5) and Teoscar Hernandez (8) stole a base.

In game 2 of this series, Lance McCullers and Kyle Smith will face Scott DeCecco. First pitch is at 6:30 Pacific.

Quad Cities and Clinton was postponed

There will now be two doubleheaders in this series. The first set of two will begin momentarily, with the first game beginning at 11 A.M. Andrew Thurman will start game 1 against Eddie Campbell, and Chris Lee will take on Tommy Burns in game 2.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Buxton has yet to take the field this year. Man, the Twins sure wasted that pick.

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

Bbbbut....who would he replace????

14. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

they should have picked gray a year early, right?

15. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

^^This^^

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yeah, being the minor league player of the year last year was surely a waste. Good call.

17. bobrek

You must not be fluent in facetiousness.

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The point of Bobrek's post is that it's too early to judge any of these guys (I think).

So not sure why Htown_diehard agreed and CometsWin disagreed...lol.

19. bobrek

Yep. That was my point.

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Sorry, I said Cardpire instead of CometsWin...edited my above post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.