1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Astros Minor League Thread v2.0

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by No Worries, Jun 24, 2014.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Luhnow said they'll address it sometime this month. It doesn't look good to move back to Round Rock before the Rangers deal with the Express is up in 2018. Hopefully, Ryan-Sanders won't sell the team to the Rangers. There have been rumors of that possibility.

2. Buck Turgidson

Yep.

If I'm the Astros and RR is permanently off the table at some point in the future, I'm buying the first available team and moving them to San Marcos. Central Texas is too important to not have a presence there.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Mmmm, stuffed sopapillas with green chiles while watching our AAA team. I could get behind that.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

San Marcos? wtf

San Antonio, please

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich): The Astros acquired minor leaguer UTL Jared Cruz from Atlanta as PTBNL in the trade that sent RHP Andrew Robinson to the Braves (July 3)

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fminors%2Fplayer.cgi%3Fid%3Dcruz--000jar&div=div_standard_batting"></script>

#1085 tellitlikeitis, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  6. Scottay

Scottay Contributing Member

San Antonio already has a AA team.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

We needed somebody that makes Marc Krauss look good.

8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Vince Velasquez vs. Inland Empire: 6 IP, 2 H, 3 R (2 earned), 4 BB, 9 K

Lancaster leads 7-3 in the 7th

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

7-3 is the final.

10. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kinda weird seeing as how I thought Lancaster and Corpus were the bright spots for the Astros minor league operations here recently:
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Keith Bodie is out as the Astros Class AA manager, according to club sources. GM Jeff Luhnow declined comment.</p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/508342096169021440">September 6, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    And then Even got his panties in a wad when some folks (including Keith Law) called him out on trying to sensationalize the move.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Letting Keith Bodie go after Corpus franchise record 83 wins in 2013 and 16 yrs w/org isn’t the kind of move that buys a lot of good will.</p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/508351330205716480">September 6, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/levi_portillo">@levi_portillo</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich">@EvanDrellich</a> I'm with Levi. Player development is more important - and minor league win totals mean almost nothing.</p>&mdash; keithlaw (@keithlaw) <a href="https://twitter.com/keithlaw/status/508376584349560832">September 6, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>.<a href="https://twitter.com/keithlaw">@keithlaw</a> Keith, you once interviewed for a job with the Astros. You have friends here. Send me an email if you want— but stop sniping.</p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/508379449272700928">September 6, 2014</a></blockquote>

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Just further proof that the chronicle writers are a joke. If I'm the Astros organization, I limit their access to the team as much as I can. They obviously have an axe to grind.

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I found it funny that Drellich cited wins. So, following that train of thought....

Bodie basically inherited the 2013 JetHawks, a team that finished with the 2nd-best record in the Cali League, and they finished with the 2nd-worst record in the Texas League.

13. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep, the trio of Drellich, JdJO, and Brian T. Smith all live for the chance to rip the Astros and their management. There's plenty of meat on the bone, fellas, no need to fall all over yourselves trying to create stories out of non-stories.

14. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Can we make a kickstarter to bring back Dick Justice?

15. jdh008

jdh008 Member

That's a strange leap to make by Drellich. Law made a comment giving his opinion on a topic of discussion that someone else, "Levi," brought him into by mentioning him in the previous tweet. It's not even like Keith went out of his way to jump into that conversation. So Drellich then challenges him to "send an email." About what?

And trust me, I'm generally no fan of Keith Law. His "smartest guy in the room" schtick is the worst, so it's not easy for me to come to his defense.

16. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, just let me know when I should start kicking him.

1 person likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

I do not care for Law at all, but it's been amusing to read the recent twitter beatdowns from him to the Chronicle muppets.

Drellich and JdJO are acting like little b****es. I don't know why anyone associated with the Stros would ever talk to either of them.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Keith isn't anything like that when you meet him or are around him. He will tell you it is an act. He is very quiet and shy and freely admits his mistakes.

19. No Worries

I think that the Astros FO talking to the Chron beat writers or lack thereof might be the actual problem. Luhnow is tight lipped versus his predecessor. The Astros beat writers may be expecting more access, not getting it, and then attacking Lunow in what they write.

Another explanation might be that Luhnow is a serious asshat that rubs everybody the wrong way.

20. No Worries

Several possible explanations for this:

There might be more competitive teams in our AA league versus our A+ league.

The Lancaster team that got promoted might have a high percentage of players who have made their last promotion. These players were good enough to be successful in A+ but not in AA.

AA is where the best prospects come to play. GM can play games with their prospect's promotions. They can slow-promote their prospects so that these prospects can put up good numbers (since they are older and/or better than those they are competing against.) But slow-promotes stop at AA where prospects have to make their bones if they want to play in the MLB. (Using this logic, I see Appel starting next season in AA and staying there for as long as it takes until he can dominate at that level.) I do know that there are some minor league scouts who wait until prospects get to AA before they take them seriously.

Bodie and his staff are not as good at development as we previously thought.