1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Astros Draft Pick Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Sure? No, just how it sounds to me from the original article.

Would be funny if the Astros end up with the first and second picks and take Aiken again (assuming he plays JUCO).

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

...unless Aiken gets granted free agency, which would result in him getting more like $20-30M...

chances are low but non-zero.

3. the shark

the shark Member

they never went back up to 6.5 million.
    Not implying at all that they were being cheap.

He is NOT injured. He just has a smaller UCL than most. They're making a projection on Aiken. Just like they made a projection with Singleton and promised him millions (minor league success does not equal major league success) but they were willing to do it.

And yes this was over 1.5 mil, because this WILL come back to bite them in the @$$.

From here on out every agent/advisor they will be negotiating with (top picks) will have the leverage as the 'Stros can't afford to keep not signing high prospects. Especially for a team that didn't spend major $$$ to upgrade the team considerably, because they sold a plan of building through the draft (which I agree with), and now they're not going to sign the #1 pick in the draft for "something" that could possibly happen in the future? Hell they signed Altuve for millions and he could have a career threatening injury today.

Small UCL doesn't guarantee injury. Hell I heard last night that 1 out of every 3 starting pitchers in MLB has had to have surgery on their elbows over the past yr.

It's all one freakin crap shoot, and they should have signed the kid at 6.5 (which they offered him to begin with).

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What are the odds they go into tank mode again to get 1-1 AND 1-2?

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

One thing for sure is I don't want the Rangers to get the 1-1.

6. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

We would need his permission to draft him again and I doubt he would.

7. vince

vince Member

You my friend seem to be one of the few thinking with their head here!!!! I'm shocked by the backlash on the Astros. But until the MLB get's a combine like in the NFL, this will always be a problem.

We've seen trades be nixed because of failed physicals. Teams value is contingent on the Assets they have, and those are the athletes!! The owners are all near billionaires, it's not going to be about 1.5 million dollars here or there.

8. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

:rolleyes:

9. vince

vince Member

The only way Aiken gets over a 5 million is in free agency.

10. awc713

awc713 Member

obviously passing on aiken/nix hurts. i never thought there was a realistic chance at landing marshall, so thats not really a loss.

but luhnow and co. know what they're doing. obviously they wanted to sign aiken @ 5M. but i trust their projections. the 1-2 pick may be ultimately more valuable than aiken at 6.5 and nix.

we werent getting marshall unless aiken signed with at 5M.

I really hope we make some moves midseason...f it, we dont need the 1 and 2 pick....get like, 2 and 7 and let us be watchable

11. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Everything I have read states that the Astros were using MLB office for advice on this, so I seriously doubt the team is in any danger of losing picks the next two years.

12. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Doubt many pitchers would give us permission to draft them right now with our different way of developing pitchers. Luckily Aiken would be only one that could say no

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Screw Aiken, Im glad it's played out this way.

These pitchers are such a crapshoot, specially when we are diving into the high school scene. No thanks.

Give me some bats...I like playing those odds better, specially when it comes to the top few hitters available.

And Aiken turning down 5 million shows that he's a mental midget. You cant succeed as an MLB pitcher when you're deficient in that area.

14. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

We are doomed... At least we had a few good weeks this year because our future is crap

15. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I think his manager screwed him (and Nix) here....but we'll see.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

In three years, I predict Aiken will be begging the Astros to draft in the second round.

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Yeah, that guy definitely played a major role in it...it'll be interesting to see how all this plays out.

18. htownbball

htownbball Member

Did we sign any high schoolers this year?

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

19th-rounder Ruben Castro, from the Puerto Rico Baseball Academy, was the only high school player to sign this year.

20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>In the end, Astros spent $4,890,500 on 8 bonuses in top 10 rounds. Pool went from $13,362,200 to $5,069,600 <a href="http://t.co/S1ppJq8v9V">pic.twitter.com/S1ppJq8v9V</a></p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/statuses/491296129489727489">July 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>