1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014-2015 NFL Preseason Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by UtilityPlayer, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Remii

Remii Member

Lol... Willie Beamen.

2. AB423

AB423 Member

Anyone have a link for the Browns game? On first row an ad is showing up and I can't fix where to x it out at

1 person likes this.
  3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Browns have some pretty bad receivers. They can't hold on to the ball.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

So many people hating on JFF in the Texans' first preseason game thread.

[​IMG]

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Probably because every 5th post was "Manziel looking good... Manziel having a good game." (which is hilarious because neither of those things happened).

1 person likes this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Tell me how he sucked in the time he was given. No TDs, but he was still productive, both in the air and on the ground.

What's hilarious is that you didn't even watch any of the Browns game, yet you're just trashing Manziel for no reason.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I watched each and every one of Manziel's snaps.

He hit some slant throws (which were the most "impressive" plays he made all game).

Saw him miss the wide open FB in order to scamper. Saw him give up on the first read on more than one occasion in order to scamper.

His one "good" run was not a designed run... he simply decided to take a chance. Having that sort of success in pre-season (against 2nd team defenses) can be fools gold.

Never did I say he "sucked"... but I also don't equate "not sucking" to "looking good".

He's a work in progress, every bit the project I envisioned him to be at this level... and he's going to have to shed some of his innate habits in order to stick in this league (but its pretty hard to shed "instincts" sometimes).

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

Completely agreed. Browns' coaching staff will have to work hard in teaching Manziel how to QB correctly, smartly and safely, in the league.

Hoping we'll see some more of Manziel's game in the second preseason game though. Hopefully he'll already start to improve!

Sorry if I seemed salty throughout our entire "exchange." This Texans game is making me mad lol.

10. Remii

Remii Member

And you have the F'n nerve to say I have a low football IQ... Lol.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Johnny Football is going to be excellent. He's got the Favre ability to make something out of nothing. But let us not forget how many times Favre made boneheaded decisions.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

lol wut?

You're kidding right? The kid was alllll over SportsCenter. They covered his press conference after the game!!! after a preseason game...in its entirety!!!!! :)

I didn't see a whole lot of hating...I did see a whole lot of, "why was that such a big deal?" And I think that was warranted...particularly in light of the fact the Tony Stewart story was breaking at the same time through other sports/news sources.

EDIT: sorry..just realized you posted that while the games were still ongoing...i was reading it as if you wrote it this morning.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think Doug Flutie with less work ethic, and more chances for off the field shenanigans is a better comparison.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Name one thing in my post that was inaccurate?

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Doug Flutie? Preposterous. Manziel is unlike any QB I've seen. Riverboat gambler at times. I'm fairly certain he will be responsible for highlights and lowlights for years to come.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Didn't you just say he reminded you of Favre?

While I don't agree with that comparison as I think Favre's physical tools were much better... I agree that what Manziel is is unprecedented.

Just like it will be unprecedented if he actually succeeds... nobody with this much hype, this much off-the-field controversy, this much lack of actual NFL translatable skills (he doesn't know how to read defenses, scampers way too much, and won't be able to out-run NFL linebackers like he did in college), and a modern-day Cleveland Brown has ever set the NFL on fire.

More power to him if he's able to overcome all of that.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Not really Favre in terms of arm strength, just the backyard football mentality and improvisation. Hard to predict how any of his skills translate, but Cleveland looks like they will run the ball well with Tate and West. I can see Cleveland putting him in for a couple designed plays here and there at first. He needs to learn how to think like an NFL QB and adjust to the defensive schemes.

18. Remii

Remii Member

No need... I'll just point out a couple of main facts you missed _ that offensive line he was playing behind was bad, and the QB position is the hardest position to learn and play in the NFL. When you don't take those two things under consideration first when judging a quarterback seeing his first ever NFL action _ that makes your evaluation one-sided and biased... Or it just shows you're the one with the low football IQ Mr Nick. So which one is it sir...??? And personally I don't think you have a low football IQ, I just think you're being one-sided.

And despite all the negatives you point out for Johnny he still had a positive impact on his team which you ignore... He gets to start next week. Maybe he will fall on his face or maybe he will continue to improve _ we shall see.

Clowney on the other hand looked like a blind dog in a meat market and couldn't beat one on one blocking on passing attempts and didn't get a single hit on the QB. And despite his super fast 40 time _ he couldn't cover RB's out the backfield and got burned for a TD. Last night besides for one great play on a running play he had virtually no positive impact for the Texans because the Cardinals offense ran through the Texans defense like a pair of pantyhose. Maybe his presence will be more of an impact for the team next week and going forward. But as of now _ he is not the most impactful rookie out the draft. Several players have him beat... Like Blake and Johnny for example. Heck, maybe even Michael Sam.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Honestly? Between the two "debuts" I'll take Clowney's positive plays against a first team offense, vs. Manziel's "deer in headlights, better take off and run" against a 2nd team defense. And did you really say "as of now?"?????

But its not about Clowney vs. Manziel. Manziel was never in consideration for the #1 overall pick (or the #2, or the #3, or the #4... etc.). Its whether or not Manziel can be a serviceable starting QB in this league. I'll give you another assessment of Manziel when he starts the next game... but I'll stand by what I just said about his first game regardless of who he was playing with or who he was going up against.

20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

How have you not been banned yet? I seriously don't get it.