1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014/2015 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rox1, May 19, 2014.

1. Raz

Raz Member

The way Subotic plays right now, Dortmund won't find a lot of takers come summer.

They won't have a lot of money to spend either, since they aren't going to play Champions League and might not after next year either. Hummels could be ready for the next step.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Bayern trying to buy Sergio Ramos, according to his brother & manager. Begann talks during last week's International games.

3. Raz

Raz Member

Isn't this news coming from a Barca-close newspaper? I can't really think this will happen. We already have excellent defenders in Boateng, Badstuber and Benatia, plus Pep will play Martinez there too, I guess. And I don't think Real will let him go either.

4. The Stig

The Stig Member

Hummels to United likely to happen this summer?

Bayern should give us a midfielder...or a defender... or a striker? Jeesh talk about the gulf in quality between the two sides. Any Bayern player would improve United massively. I like what we are rolling with currently but quality signings is definitely needed this summer.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It was an interview with his brother, who is his manager/advisor. So the newspaper doesn't matter, as the information is directly coming from the guy.

6. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I loved to see that... only thing that is more amusing is gunner fans thinking that Arsenal has a chance.

Lock it up for my boys in blue. GO CHELSEA!

7. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Late to reply but hahahahahahaha at City! Now try to sell your aging mercenaries/players for some less old mercenaries/players because you think that is easier than developing and building a culture. I hate you.

8. The Stig

The Stig Member

Got anymore room for the anti-City brigade? I'd like to join!

United will carry their impressive form into this weekend's derby!

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

Now let's turn this City hate into Liverpool love.

10. smr6

smr6 Member

[​IMG]

11. smr6

smr6 Member

Liverpool up 1-0 with 15 minutes to play. Goal from Coutinho in the 70th minute.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Haters gonna hate. 2 titles in 3 years. Not going away any time soon. Just remember that.

13. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Play the wrong way, build the wrong way, long history of crapitude before mass cash influx, bought two titles in three years, FFP and UEFA could come down hard (harder than other top tier PL teams), blah, blah, blah.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The heirarchy police are at it again. But yeah they haven't developed **** for talent and they haven't bought a real class player since they won 3 years ago. Navas, Demichelis, Fernando, Fernandinho, Bony, Mangala, none of these guys are top class anything.

But you all are welcome to keep hating.

15. smr6

smr6 Member

Keep an eye on Angelino playing for the U-21's. Kid's got talent, also scored a hat-trick recently while playing Left Back.

16. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Him and others. They have a bunch of talent in the City youth and U21's and they have a surprisingly decent coach in Vieira.

City are just like Chelsea in that regard, the two teams have some absolute lovely talent in their youth system and if either team wanted to give more opportunities to some of those kids, I bet they would step up.

I think next season we will see at least 1 but possibly 2 young players step up from both City U21s and Chelsea U21s to get in the matchday 18 for about 75% of the season. I really think so when it comes to the two City and two Chelsea youngsters I have in mind and the ability they've shown already w/the 1st teams as well as the love the managers have already shown them.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Who can afford to put young guys into the squad? The managers get fired if they don't win hardware.

18. smr6

smr6 Member

Sadly, you're right. It's much tougher for the top teams in the PL than it was back in the 90's. You likely won't see another class of '92 type team again. The closest you will see is Southampton, but they won't be challenging for any titles. The teams that are expected to win just can't afford to do that. Hell, even back them Ferguson got criticized to hell for it until they proved they were actually still winning.

19. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

A decent number of very good teams can. In England- Arsenal are an easy example- even this season w/ Coquelin and Bellerin joining the fold regularly now.

If the young players are good enough and the manager decides to place trust in them to perform off the subs bench then everything will be fine. It's not about putting them in the starting 11 or giving them plenty of playing time off the bat. It's about getting 1 or 2 of them to round off the matchday squad and be ready off the bench if necessary. That 1 or 2 will be the best of the best. In Chelsea's case they have 2 (Solanke and Loftus-Cheek) who are just about ready to be that and have Mourinho's trust and affection.

City will have that next season when Iheanacho is healthy enough and Pozo seems to have Pellegrini's trust(and I'm sure affection).

I think having those players in the squad for both teams next season won't hurt either team much if at all and the benefits will outweigh it all. We'll see what the managers decide to do in the summer and next season but I'd put money on those four players traveling w/the 1st team for their respective clubs next season.

You're right on it being tougher since it's a different climate than it was in the early 90s and the financial situation for the league has changed all that but as I mentioned, it's not about putting multiple young players into the matchday squad like Fergie did w/the Nevilles, Becks, Giggs, Scholes, Butt, and the lesser known players from the youth cup side. Nowadays it's about getting the 1 or 2 best out of all them. You can't afford to integrate more than two of them into the squad but two is feasible and not exactly detrimental to most teams.

#1859 ferrari77, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I am intrigued by Iheanacho.