1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014/2015 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rox1, May 19, 2014.

1. FaBo

FaBo Member

So Guardiola apparently didn't learn from the Wolfsburg game. 0-2 against Gladbach and both goals resulting from counter attacks (as a matter of fact, we couldn't have complained if we had conceded a 3rd one).
    It's not the loss itself that worries me; it's only the 2nd loss of the season. We sometimes take the success for granted and forget that it is still a superb Bundesliga season. BUT: Our susceptibility on counter attacks still hasn't been fixed. The way we're playing works well against mediocre competition, but against great counter attacking teams, we run into problems (for example, the 1-4 spanking in Wolfsburg, last year's spanking against Real and today's game). I'm worried that this will haunt us when we play the great teams in the CL. Starting with Porto (yes, I know they're not on the same level as the other remaining teams, but it's a CL quarterfinal nonetheless, no opponent should be taken lightly).
    I'm a little disappointed that Pep apparently hasn't found a solution to that problem yet, but then again, I trust our coaching staff and our players. It would help getting Ribery and Robben back, of course. Hope Arjen doesn't have anything serious.

1 person likes this.
  2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Well they slotted him at right-back for whatever reason, not his fault.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Should've learned from the Real games last year, don't know why he still plays the same and has our defensive line up so high.

Really prefer the defense we played under Heynckes, where the defensive line was way deeper in our half and always set, that way opponents couldn't really counter and we were also way better setting up our own counter attacks. Kinda played a mixture of Real and Barca and I think it's a better way of playing vs. high quality teams. Slowing the game down and playing for possession is always more difficult than playing fast football and building up attacks from your defense.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

One of the Bein Sports commentators calling this game is extremely annoying, so over the top the whole 90 minutes.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Where aré you Rox. I'm in the back downstairs by a bunch of Mardid fans yuck

I'm wale sting a black Xavi jersey

#1785 REEKO_HTOWN, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Robben with a torn abdominal muscle, likely out for both games vs Porto. Sucks...

7. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

Both Barcelona and Real Madrid are absolute class. No doubt. And I always watch the El Clasico's because of that. But I absolutely hate have pussyfied La Liga is. And how every time these two teams meet, it ends up in an endless mess of fouls and rolling around the grass.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think I would prefer to play Barca rather than Real if we make it to the semis. The way Barca played their counter attacks in the end was really poor. And counter attacks are what kills us because Pep is too stubborn to change his ways.

9. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Barca was mediocre today, and still won. Their best lineup wasn't out there w/ Sergio sidelined (don't count the last 10 mins).

Messi was playing much deeper than normal (and too isolated) b/c of a lack of mid-field.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Neymar had so many chances to score and all wasted. Madrid look bad Bale was invisible Ronaldo barely creates anymore. Sad when I trust Benzema the most to do something on that team.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

Missed the lfc v manu game due to sickness. Now I'm glad I missed it. Top 4 looks doubtful now with manu on a momentum.

What sucks is that even with CL, Rodgers can't get 1 quality player. Now without CL, I can't imagine the shyte players we'd get this summer.

12. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Bro.. We gotta plan this shiii better. I just got home. Intense game but glad we came out with the points. For la Copa or ECL final we'll plan some better. Nice place huh?

13. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

And more importantly (atleast to me and Ace) he is out for the European qualifier against Turkey since we are also missing RvP and we are playing terribly i can see us not winning, and not making the EC.:(:(

btw congrats to the Barca fans on this board. Important win.

14. smr6

smr6 Member

I asked my fiancé why he was yelling at us.

15. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Yeah, it really sucks. RVP has been off form all season long, so I wasn't too bothered about that. We have other decent attacking options. But in my view Robben is in the top 5 worldwide - we don't have anyone that can replace him. And considering we're playing like crap and don't have many good players overall, we really need him! Extremely nervous about the upcoming game - shouldn't have the home court advantage either!

16. Sir Geving

Liked what I saw from Depay during the WC. Looked like he had potential. How has he been this season for PSV?

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Looked it up, 17 goals + 4 assists in 24 league games. Five goals and 1 assist in 8 EL games. Seems to be pretty solid and heard great things, think he'll leave for a big club this summer (EPL or Bayern).

18. Sir Geving

Thanks, but I would rather hear from our fellow Dutchmen that watch him play regularly. Stats in the Eresdivisie don't mean much to me. I.E. Huntelaar, Kuyt, Kezman etc.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

True, would also like to hear a bit, as Bayern needs a new winger soon.

20. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I haven't watched as much soccer as I would like (having 2 young daughters does that). However from what I have seen (most was the beginning of this year) he is the most important player at PSV (the team who will become tha champion this year). He has talent, but I do not think he will develop into a great player. Something bugs me about him (one thing can be that he plays for PSV).

I do not think he should make the switch to a european top team after this year. Huntelaar, Suarez, Kuyt and Affelay were much better in their last years in the eredivision. I think Depay is much better than Kezman was. So in the future maybe, but not next year IMHO.

Maybve Ace has seen more of him and give a better and more recent opinion.