1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014/2015 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rox1, May 19, 2014.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Premier League hasn't impressed in the CL.

2. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Reds suck ):

but If BR somehow after all this **** about CL, beats Chelsea he will look like a genius.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

the sad thing was our reserve team looked better than our first team. If Studge isn't back by Chelsea then we should look to start Borini up top WITH Balo.

we can't get past our own half half the match.

4. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Need to partner Borini with Ballo. Dude himself has said he plays better with two up front.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

PL has been **** in European competition for years, this league is overrated. Spain is far ahead.

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

PL has too much internal competition to ever dominate Europe.

For example City just played United and gave their all.

Likewise Chelsea and Liverpool have the weekend clash.

When you have such a competitive league where every team has to give it's all for 90 minutes on most days, it's tough. It takes a toll.

Rarely do you see blowout scores in EPL like you do in La Liga.

7. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

I think people, including myself think that the BPL is the best league because of entertainment value. Not because they necessarily have THE best teams. Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich have been the most dominant teams in Europe for quite some time now. I don't think anyone is disputing that.

But the thing that makes the BPL so enjoyable is that there are no easy games and it is very high paced. So there's a lot of action. Manchester United can lead 3-1 against Leicester, but end up losing 5-3, Manchester City can loose at home against Stoke and so on. Those results are out of the norm, but losing or drawing against "easy" competition happens all the time in the BPL, so in reality there are no easy games, and the suspense is that much bigger. Chelsea looks like the strongest team this year. But late season collapses happens fairly often too. And you usually have Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham all fighting for a top 4 finish and a place in the CL. The competition and the quality of the teams is much more even.

In Germany there are Bayern, and sometimes Dortmund, Leverkusen, Schalke or whatever can compete with them, but there is one team dominating that league and that's Bayern. It doesn't help that Bayern gets the best players to join them from the competition either. So even though I like the playing style and the great atmosphere among the fans in the stadiums in Germany, I find it quite boring.

The same, can be said about Spain. Real Madrid and Barcelona dismantling the competition each round, and the extremely odd year that Atletico, Valencia or whatever can compete. But another boring league imo. Barcelona and Real Madrid are on another level financially. So they keep buying the biggest stars in the world while Sevilla, Valencia etc are struggling financially. I don't find the playing style in Spain very appealing either. Too much diving, complaining and too slow paced.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Y Rodgers no listen?
    At the very least keep Lovren benched. Kolo made some mistakes bit overall did miles better than Lovren has in any game he's played for Liverpool

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Just a couple of weeks ago:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YoQ68Wkc5gE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Many more examples like that.

Average number of goals scored per game in Germany is higher as well. As is attendance. Recent record in Europe is trending towards Bundesliga being better as well.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Look at the Tottenham - Villa game from last week as an example of why the BPL has higher entertainment value. Game went from 1-0 to 2-1 in stoppage time.

La Liga has the star power and Bayern is the biggest power club in the world, but I can watch almost any BPL game and be entertained.

11. Raz

Raz Member

Unlike the other big leagues, Germany had surprise champions the last couple of years. Think of Stuttgart 2007, Wolfsburg 2009 or Dortmund 2011. Nobody - literally nobody - saw that coming at the start of the season. In England or Spain you always see the same couple of teams on top, in Germany big surprises indeed happen.

I agree that Bayern looks very very powerful right now, unbeatable. But they are the best team in Europe right now and would dominate any league. On the other hand, the other teams always found a way to challenge them sooner or later, it just weren't always the same ones like in the other big leagues.

BTW: Dortmund isn't struggling because they had to give up Götze and Lewandowski. They are struggling because they didn't make quality signings afterwards. Mchitarjan, Aubameyang and Immobile may be good, but they are not great. Dortmund payed like they were great, but they aren't.

12. Sir Geving

Yeah, which is why I said I liked the playing style etc in Germany. You can get great games like these. And there's a lot of goals. It's high paced, just like the BPL. The difference is the amount of teams playing for the same spots. How even the league is. That you never know if your team is going to lay an egg against a newly promoted team and so on.

13. Sir Geving

True, but when Schalke is contending, Bayern gets Neuer, their best player. Stuttgarts best player in Gomez, Dortmunds best players in Götze and Lewandowski.

Yes they are. They are not the same team without their two best players. Dortmund is struggling because they have been losing players for many years straight. Sahin, Kagawa, Götze and Lewandowski. Those were the most important players for Dortmund, and when you keep losing your best players, it gets hard to keep building your team up again and again.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's the same thing in every country. The bigger/richer clubs get the best players of the smaller/not so rich clubs. Did Rooney stay at Everton? Did Sergio Ramos stay at Sevilla? What about Isco? And so on, and so on. Not exclusive to Bayern.

And yet, you have surprise champions in Germany. You hardly ever have them in England or Spain.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Atletico was not always good.

It is an accomphlishment to surprise in the league I give you that.

They consist of more games than for instance Domestic cup tournaments where surprises happen frequently.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What?

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Just sayin, but my post and the posts before me that started this discussion were purely about the strength and performances in International competition (CL, EL).

This was not about attractiveness of the leagues.

18. Sir Geving

Not really. You fail to see my point.
    Ramos and Rooney didn't leave contenders to join the juggernaut. They left above average teams to join a big team. Götze and Lewandowski left after winning the German league and getting to the CL final in recent years.

Sure, sometimes it happens in the BPL too. But it's extremely rare that the best player from one team in England join another rival in England. Add to that, the same point about 5-6 teams battling to have a top 4 finish, you pretty much have those 5-6 teams battling it out when it comes to transfers too. You can't say that for Germany or Spain. Because there is only Bayern in Germany. And only Real Madrid and Barcelona in Spain.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Reus initially joined Dortmund instead of Bayern, even though Bayern was trying to get him. Van Persie went from Arsenal to Man U. Torres went from Liverpool to Chelsea (for 50M GBP, which is a joke, Bayern got Lewandowski without a transfer fee to the other team and Goetze for €37M and might get Reus for €25M). Mata went from Chelsea to Man U (for 37M GBP). Andy Carroll: Newcastle to Liverpool for 35M GBP (lol).

So transfers of star players between the big teams in the UK do happen.

And either way, you have surprise champions in Germany. You do not in England or Spain.

20. Sir Geving

Last time I will reply to this. The difference is that while Torres went to Chelsea. Man Utd, Man City and Arsenal was still competing with Chelsea and vice versa to those transfers you mentioned. And like you write in this post. Atleast they got a huge amount of money for these transfers. Bayern got Lewa for free. And Goetze and possibly Reus by release clauses. So Dortmund are ****ed. And who can compete with Bayern financially in Germany? No one. Who can compete with Chelsea in England? Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal and to a lesser degree Liverpool and Tottenham.
    Like I said earlier, this and the high paced action is why I personally think the BPL is the best and most exciting league in the world. While some consider a "league" the best, because they have the best individual teams.