1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014/2015 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rox1, May 19, 2014.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cool. Falcao from Atletico indirectly to Real

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Ajax really is unlucky with who they have to play the last years.
    10-11 AC Milan, Real Madrid CF, AJ Auxerre
    11-12 Real Madrid, Olympique Lyonnais, Dinamo Zagreb
    12-13 Real Madrid, Manchester City, Borussia Dortmund
    13-14 Barcelona, AC Milan, Celtic
    14-15 Barcelona, PSG, Apoel Nicosia

I expect them to play well, make 1 or 2 games close against barca and PSG and finish third (like they have done most of these years).

Feyenoord is through in the Europa League. Crazy game, stupid they let it get this close, but still nice that they finally advance.

4. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Depressing that Twente got knocked out. Feyenoord almost giving up a 3-0 lead, what on earth?!

Ajax had a chance in 11-12 and 13-14. Milan and Celtic were there for the taking. We're just a fourth-rate country now... sad.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Everyone knew he went to Monaco for this Real transfer, hate it. Same with the new trend of loaning a star and securing a buying clause in order to cheat FFP.

news: Kagawa to BVB for 8mil, good to see him return, never got a fair chance with ManU.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Perez cares more about jersey sales than winning. Splash signings but not sure if the pieces will fit in at all. Carlo will have a lot of work to do

7. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Atleast the other teams are getting compensated... Bundesliga teams don't even get THAT when Bayern takes away their players.... Just saying.

8. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Ronaldo needs some sort of surgery or an extended leave. It is obvious that he is not the same player. Casillas is done and Navas still can't knock him out. James will definitely NOT replace DiMaria. Kroos looks to be better than Xabi, though different.

Still, if I were Madrid, I would have spent MORE to assure that they at least stay at the same level as last year. Cause, as of now, their peak is not as high nor are they as deep. Even with Falcao at a level close to where he was with Athletico, I would still buy another impact offensive player as insurance for Ronaldo. So, I don't see where what they did is at all disgusting.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

I hope they never fix ManU.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

EPL always unpredictable and this is what makes it so entertaining

United draw away - Ok not that unpredictable
    City losing at home to Stoke - Very surprising

11. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

So Chelsea put up 6 today.

12. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Blind to united. Interesting.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Another Dutch team B with international star players

14. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

I used to think he was terrible, but that's usually because I tend to judge slow as hell players a little too quickly. :) He's actually developed massively his last couple of years at Ajax. Always thought he'd stay the zoon van but he's probably going to end up with more caps!

He's a decent player who can play in multiple roles, which is why I think van Gaal decided to get him. I think he's going to be a major loss for Ajax, so hopefully Feyenoord can take advantage. :grin:

Dutch Commentary (most can probably ignore ;))
    I like how our Dutch players are going to be getting some great experience abroad:

Martins Indi - Porto
    de Vrij - Lazio
    Janmaat - Newcastle United
    de Jong - Newcastle United
    Blind - Manchester United
    van Aanholt - Sunderland
    van Ginkel - maybe Milan loan

It'd be great to see Depay and Wijnaldum move to bigger clubs after this season as well. Wijnaldum could even try this year. Depay is our next 'big hope' in my opinion - he's the guy who has to take over Robben, though hopefully he still has a good tournament in him.

I'm a little worried about our strikers though. Huntelaar and RVP are getting older and all out 'talents' are turning out to be turds. Van Wolfswinkel, Dost, de Jong, all have flopped abroad. We've always had the choice of at least a couple of good strikers for as long as I can remember, hopefully we can keep the tradition!

Premier League
    I've read that both Chelsea and Arsenal have activated the release clause for Remy. UPDATE: BBC news reports that Arsenal have dropped out: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28994304

Great move by Chelsea with Torres going. Don't really understand what Remy is doing though. He'll barely get a game with how Costa is playing and I'm sure Drogba won't be third option, so he'll get his minutes.

Chelsea looking scary. Think they'll win the PL this year, wouldn't put money on anyone else.

Arsenal need a new striker, that's for sure. With Giroud out you only have Sanogo and Campbell. Sanchez seems to be the new 'striker', but not sure that's going to work. What do the Barca fans think about this? Is he up to it?

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Balotelli playing well. Hasn't finished well but he's doing everything else well.

16. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Great win for my Reds.

Balotelli played great,he had a lot chances to score but it will come, and him and Sturridge partnership will only get better, overall we look way better in this formation,our back line was actually finally solid, with Johnson and Skrtel out the back actually look confident for once, Lovren and Sakho need to communicate more tho.

Only thing that needs to change is Sturridge,Sterling, and Balo can all be selfish at times lmfao, which is actually funny,but they really need to either look up and pass the ball or pass it back.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

What a damn good showing for LFC. What a friggin steal, run, and goal by Moreno. Such an exciting season ahead for the Reds for sure! Balotelli's time will come, let's just hope there won't be any drama accompanying it.

With the way he's been playing, I'm pretty sure clubs will come from all directions next summer for Sterling. Most likely those 2 Spanish teams. Lil dude is getting better and better and better, it's inevitable.

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I honestly think Sterling is the best player on the team or will be in a few seasons. Don't want to lose him!

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Chelsea is looking damn near unstoppable. Fabregas and Costa really outclassing everyone weekly.

20. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

Chicharito to Madrid!!!

YES YES YES YES YES