1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014/2015 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rox1, May 19, 2014.

1. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Thanks for the replies, brahs! Ya, I didn't think much of it either but we are so desperate for a quality CB that I had to ask. Idk about that 150mil though! If that was the case, what would Messi go for? lol

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Maybe 100 mil if he starts playing defense and if he runs a bit :p. In any case, Mario Goetze already has one world cup title more than Messi will ever have...and Mario might add another one to that. Personally, I would probably rather have Neymar than Messi at this point...as Ribery's replacement. But we could also target Reus or di Maria for that, in a year.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Pepe Reina apprently signing with Bayern in the next days. Is he really not capable of being a #1 for a good club or what is behind that move? Jontro or some other Liverpool breh has to give me insight.

4. Normalus

Normalus Member

In Hungary first game was tragic, fans were fired up and police threw granade (smh?), some guy tried to pick it up and he left without wrist after exploision. That's sick. Not for a weak nerves viewer, please do not watch.

[youtube]2l8-uDKk6Ss[/youtube]

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Don't forget about Jovetic. I think he will be a good option this year if Negredo can't regain his early season form from last year and Aguero continues to struggle with injuries.

6. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

There's clear no bias in this post.....hahahhaha
    Di Maria will go to PSG this summer... Might be right about Reus tho.

Not Liverpool fan but let me give me a shot..
    1) Almost 32, so probably just wants to win as much as possible and Bayern is probably the best option outside of Madrid right now.
    2) Won't get any playing time in Liverpool as they want someone long term.
    3) Liverpool doesn't want to pay such high wages for a bench keeper
    4) Other interested clubs were Napoli and Milan, who also don't want to pay those wages.
    4) Knows Pep quite well.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

rox1 has already covered it, pretty much.

For a back up keeper though, he's excellent. He was a great keeper, but made quite a few errors in his last year with Pool as a first choice (before being loaned out). But I attribute that with him being distracted by the other clubs knocking (Barca) on his door. Shame really... he would have still been our first choice keeper had he not made it so damn clear that he wanted to leave, because then Rodgers had to quickly find his replacement.

Reina has good reflexes and great positioning, he always knows where to be to make those incredible saves. His only knock is that sometimes he gets a little too confident and strays away from his position (i.e. goes too far out of his box, etc.). I haven't seen him play since 2 years ago, but when he was our first choice, he's better than Mignolet now.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Just posting a public photo, not my personal ones.

I'm still laughing when I think about it :).

9. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

hahahhah I saw that one, those guys look gone. That was me this past weekend, never drinking again ;);)

10. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...-bayern-talked-publicly-about-reuss-contract/

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Watzke and Zorc can go suck a donkey :p.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Pep's a Chandler Parsons ass b****.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This. What a little baby.

14. ferrari77

Meh they do have a point(as does Rummenigge of course but there was no reason for him to be talking about another teams player like that. Just activate the release clause quietly:confused: next summer :) )

To our resident Bayern supporters, what say you about Peps actions tonight in/after the MLS All-Star game? (Also why weren't you Bayern supporters there to support your team and partake in all that is fabulous about Portlandia?)

Pep got pissy because in the 1st half I believe the MLS player Osvaldo Alonso(or punk that likes to make NDJongish tackles and talk a lot of crap) had a fairly nasty tackle on Rafinha. In the 2nd half, Will Johnson had a fairly bad tackle (for an All/star or preseason match) on Bastian. Pep seemed to take offense with the MLS All-Star coach Caleb Porter as if Caleb had told his players to go in hard on the tackles. (I'd be willing to be that Caleb told his players to take it easy w/the tackles but there's only so much a coach can do. When you have d******d midfielders like Alonso that love a rough tackle, what can the coach do in an All-star game?) .
    So after the match Pep decides to snub Caleb Porter and not shake hands, and the Bayern assistant coaches did the same.

Came off very classless and surprised every fan in North America I'm sure. No one would have expected that from Pep.

Understood it was a pre-season match for Bayern, but if you don't want to take a chance on 1 or 2 silly tackles happening then don't accept the money to be the opponent in an All-Star match vs players already into their season and instead play a pre-season match vs another team in its pre-season.

Silliness. Shame on Pep.

Anyway, do our CF Bayern supporters follow Pep on this/is there some insight Pep revealed to Bild as to why he didn't shake hands?

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

^^
    Didn't watch the game and can't really state an opinion.

But reading through German forums it seems most disliked the way Pep behaved and felt like it was a really stupid and arrogant move that could hurt Bayern's image in the states. It also seems unlikely a coach would tell his MLS players to intentionally foul hard or try to hurt Bayern's players. Heard the guy looked pretty down/sad and walked after Pep to give him a handshake or apologize but Pep didn't even look at him.

Again, stupid move by Pep.

16. ferrari77

Thanks for mentioning the part about the guy(Caleb Porter) looking kinda sad after Pep ignored him for a handshake after the match. I'd forgotten until I read it again tonight, the MLS All-Stars coach(Caleb Porter) is a HUGE Pep fan. I believe when he was coaching in college, Pep was who he studied and tried to emulate as a coach and now in MLS. The guy is a big Pep coaching fan.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/all-star/2...on-pep-guardiola-forges-his-own-coaching-path

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Didn't watch anything, but sounds like Pep misbehaved. He strikes me as someone who can be a bit petty. Of course, that goes exactly against what was intended with this trip (build goodwill for Bayern).

18. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

He so petty. The whole Zatlan fiasco was because of his pettiness.

19. ferrari77

Sounds like eventually Pep cooled down and they did shake hands after the post match press conference/interviews.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>All good with Pep Guardiola and Caleb Porter. With them for nice handshake outside the locker room after the game. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLSAllStar?src=hash">#MLSAllStar</a></p>&mdash; Sunil Gulati (@sunilgulati) <a href="https://twitter.com/sunilgulati/statuses/497242344056320000">August 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Now Pep must have been having a laugh when he said this after the match
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Pep Guardiola said he hopes Bayern Munich will receive an invitation to play in MLS ASG next year. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLSAllStar?src=hash">#MLSAllStar</a></p>&mdash; Kyle McCarthy (@kylejmccarthy) <a href="https://twitter.com/kylejmccarthy/statuses/497234291198525440">August 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I thought Pep said he wanted to be Team USA's coach after Klinsmann.

So he decides to bring his team over to our country, lose, and then act like a child?