1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014-15] Kostas Papanikolaou as a Rocket

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shastarocket, Sep 29, 2014.

1. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Give Papa some time. Not only is he coming from a completely different league, he's coming from a completely different country. Minus TJ he's also been thrown into the 4 slot and he just doesn't have the NBA body for it.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Is he coming from a country where missing is good?

3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

CH...Kostas will make you smile...by the end of this season. I guarantee it..:)

I'm more willing to giving him time, bc he does a tremendous job trying to cover 4's and does more than a decent job on the defensive end of the floor.

4. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

If we stop trying to make him a stretch 4 and only play him at SF for about 12 to 15 minutes a game to rest Ariza only, he will seem much better.

5. ling ling

ling ling Member

Once he learns English, he'll be good.

6. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

surely this is a joke. Or is this another one of the drums you'll bang until he does eventually get his NBA offensive game going and then you'll disappear and never give credit where credit's due CarlHerrera Specials?

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Either he learns how to hit a basket or he is just a role playing passer.

DD

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Will he perform better or worse against Antetokounmpo?

Speaking of which, the Bucks have a pretty legit bench: Marshall, Bayless, Middleton, Ilyasova, Dudley, Henson, Zaza, Wolters

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He reminds me a lot of Diaw so far, a much lighter, less efficient Diaw.

Tweener, can hit the 3 occasionally, does a little bit of rebounding and passing but not much scoring, smart player.

10. NotChandlerParsons

1 person likes this.
  11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Kostas figured out that he needs to make more than 30% of his shots tonight. Let's hope he remembers next game.

12. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Stop trolling.

13. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Poor guy has been playing out of his natural position lately bodying up against big PF's. It's gonna drain his offensive output. He still make things happen on the floor and seems to always be in EVERY play. Garcia on the other hand is Hot Garbage... untill he starts hitting some shots.

14. NotChandlerParsons

BTW, while he's not a jump out of the gym athlete, I think at this point we can discount those terrible pre-draft metrics like the no-step vert of 22.

15. baubo

baubo Member

I'm sorry. I normally don't mind rounding numbers if the gist of things is still correct, but this is so blatantly misleading I have to set things straight.

Papa is being paid $4.8mil this year and $4.6mil next year (not guaranteed).
    Carter is being paid $3.9mil this year, $4.1mil next year (both guaranteed), and $4.3 in year 3 (not guaranteed)

Papa is being paid $0.9mil more this year. Over this year an next, he'll be paid on average ~$0.7/yr more. And it's not guaranteed in case of injury or other issues.

You may still like VC over Papa at those salaries, but you made it sound like Papa is making 40% more than Vince, when the difference in their salaries is less than that of Joey Dorsey's contract.

1 person likes this.
  16. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

My bad. I don't know why I had it in my head that he was making $3M. I should have done proper research.

That said, I'd still take VC in a heartbeat over Kostas.

My main point is that...though Kostas is a rookie, he is NOT on a rookie contract. The more money you make, the more you should produce IMO. 30% is not good enough. I am pulling for him as a Rocket though.

17. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

The main reason the Rockets probably didn't go for VC is because he was guaranteed next year too. That would have eaten into the cap for next year; whereas with Papa you could cut him for very little if you need the money (although if he gets his shooting up, he'll be an asset and frankly I wouldn't want to trade him). I think he's just adjusting to the NBA and hasn't found his offense yet. In Europe I think he shot very high; I wouldn't be surprised if his shooting becomes respectable over time.

18. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Looks like Carl has found his new narrative!

20. i3artow i3aller

Clutch needs to start printing up Kostas tees.
    [​IMG]