1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014-15] Kostas Papanikolaou as a Rocket

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shastarocket, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Buzzlite

Buzzlite Member

Wait for Kostas to get more minutes alongside Dwight...He seems to be one of the only guys on our team who knows how to get our big guys going with easy buckets through penetration...The only problem is that he is feeding Black and Dorsey right now...Pap is a valuable player and once his shot starts falling everything will fall into place

2. Remon

Remon Member

Actualy, Carter has a lower 3p % than Papanikolaou this year, 29.8% vs 30%. He is better at 2p % though, but just barely.

3. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

If you guys are saying Kostas at $5M > VC at $3M, then agree to disagree

4. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

KPap creates for his teammates. Something neither Cisco or Ariza can provide.

5. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

One player is a young upcoming prospect. The other is an old vet. I would love Vince on our bench but I wouldn't trade kostas for Vince straight up.

6. bongman

bongman Member

If all your saying is X > Y without adding the variable of growth then you are correct. I don't think VC will improve his game anymore. If anything, it will be going a different direction. Papa on the other hand has the potential to be a solid player for us. If all things are equal and the the difference is only $2M but has the potential of big growth, it's a gamble I am willing to take. Papa over VC.

7. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I hope you're right! I'm not a Kostas hater. I just hope his shooting improves.

I have to admit I've been a little infatuated (no homo) with Vince since I did an analysis of 3 & D players available over the offseason. I was really surprised and impressed at his shooting and defending in recent years. He has really reinvented himself.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 person likes this.
  8. Blend

Blend Member

An article that describes him accurately imo.http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2275543-nba-rookie-ladder-how-the-top-contenders-stack-up-in-mid-november/page/3
    A lot of ppl are talking about his TOs, but they don’t really analyze them; there are players that usually make 2+ TO at every game(like Lin) and rookies like Kostas; as an earlier poster mentioned he had 4 terrible games with a lot of TO, concluding that he is a TO machine, but he didn’t say that at the rest 11 games he averages 1 TO with a lot of time on the court, 4 games with 0 TO (mavs 38 mins, Miami 37 mins), 3 with 1 TO and 4 games with 2 TO.
    He’ll get better at his drives and lay ups when he get used to the physicality/athletic play of NBA and the return of DH will help him immensely.

9. FeaR

FeaR Member

Kostas new blog post :

"The many minutes I play gave me confidence and motivation for even more work. I have not found my taps yet, the way I want to play or the way the team wants me to play. I talk with the coaches and then try to become better. My coaches wants me to play more at "4". They ask me to attack at opponent 4s and then to create for my teammates. Sometimes I look only to pass the ball, rather than go for the lay-up. They tell me that i should go up in the basket and not only for the pass."

"Physically it's hard to play as "4", especially in defense, when i match-up with larger bodies. What I am trying to do, is front them and not give them the opportunity to post me up. Because in that case I am at a disadvantage. To be able to keep them out of the offensive rebound. Because they see that they send the player off me. I ask for help from my teammates and they help me in the game."

"The team chemistry is perfect. I did not expect it here in the NBA, when we are away, we would do group outings. I had heard that things are more impersonal here.We are having fun on and off the court. When we played in Oklahoma, I was called by my teammates to see comedian Mike Epps, who had a show. He came himself before starting the show and talked to us. I did not understand who he was then. I understood when they started playing some spots, shortly before he went on stage. Then I realized who he is. It was fun."

"Before concluding I have two photos for you. My brother took this in our home court, is a lad from Cyprus wearing a t-shirt that is essentially paraphrasing a Notorious BIG song, the "Big Poppa", and he has my head,with a crown, similar to that worn by BIG in a picture."

"Trevor (Ariza) sent me the other one and is a T-shirt with the same motto «I love it when you call me BIG PAPPA». They have a lot of fun both. Do not ask where they are selling them, because I do not know either."

link

i tried to translate it as best as i could, i don't want any complains.

4 people like this.
  10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Nice, thanks FeaR!

11. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He eats with Dwight and Harden?

13. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Thanks for the translation FeaR. Im glad Papa and the team are having fun together.

14. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Pap is one of those guys that, if the circumstances were right and we had real depth on our team, would be with the Vipers right now for a quick stint to try to get him acclaimed to the NBA speed and such, I think. Like we did with Beverley when he first got here, send him to the D-League for a couple of games and if he impresses, bring him up.

That being said, Pap has been impressive considering all things. He isn't shooting well but he is still a factor when he is on the court. He makes smart defensive plays, rebounds very well and actually is a (distant) second on our team in assist per game. He is kind on turnover prone at times and seems to struggle with hitting his layups consistently but I consider those growing pains. In a month, I have little doubt that he will be one of our most important players on the team, often closing games for us down the stretch in that Delfino role.

15. Misigns

Misigns Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="es"><p>Opponents have shot 9-for-55 (16 percent) from outside 15 feet w/ Kostas Papanikolaou guarding them: <a href="http://t.co/bLV9bB60y2">http://t.co/bLV9bB60y2</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SportVU?src=hash">#SportVU</a></p>&mdash; John Schuhmann (@johnschuhmann) <a href="https://twitter.com/johnschuhmann/status/538347704636960768">noviembre 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. Blend

Blend Member

I can't understand why ppl say that Pap is TO prone. He is a rookie that had 4 terrible games out of 15 (as TO goes), but at the rest 11 he averages 1 TO per game w/o making more than 2 TO at any of them with a lot of PT; against Mavs 38mins 0 TO, Miami 37mins 0 TO). Actually he has 4 games with 0 TO, 3 with 1 TO and 4 with 2 TO. Some of them are rookie mistakes, some are passes to Black or Dorsey that don't even expect the ball and some of them are made when Rockets stay totally static that force the player with the ball to make stupid passes.
    An article that kind of describe him :http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...op-contenders-stack-up-in-mid-november/page/3
    PS. A poster above made a comment about D-league.... I'm not familiar with it but check Dorsey's stats when he played at Rio Grande

17. ilias

ilias Member

That's a useful link. Opponents shoot worse than average when Kostas is guarding them, regardless of distance. Even beneath the basket, where Kostas has a size disadvantage to most players he guards, he reduces their made shots by 9% compared to what they normally shoot. The 16.4% from outside 15 feet is less than half (36.4%) what those same players normally shoot.

18. ilias

ilias Member

meant 5% instead of 9%.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

DPOY on lock.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

People keep talking about this guy having a high bball IQ, but Cost-us Papa-miss-a-lot is shooting barely 30% from the field and doesn't seem to have the IQ to understand that the basketball he shoots is supposed to go INTO THE DAMN BASKET!!!!

The ball GOING INTO THE HOOP is THE MOST FUNDAMENTAL THING YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT BASKETBALL!!!!