1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014-15] Kostas Papanikolaou as a Rocket

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shastarocket, Sep 29, 2014.

1. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Why only follow Papa, might as well focus on others when he's not shooting..want to know if others hit their shots too!!

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Please allow me to preface..."poor man" Peja, and never meant to disrespect your next of kin. When using Peja as an example, I wanted to cite players that Kostas idolized growing up.

http://www.blazersedge.com/2013/3/2...rospect-kostas-papanikolaou-dreams-of-playing

And you ask why Peja is someone he looks up too?? Peja lived in Greece since the age of 16, and played professional ball in Greece. As a Houston Rocket, his primary goal is to be a shooter and make shots. Doing so could net him playing time. Your sarcasm is duly noted; that doesnt change the fact that poorman's version of Peja could be his career peak.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Because more people aren't familiar with him...seeing Terry make or miss shots in one practice isn't really going to affect what people think.

4. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

The official translation of Papa's 1st blog entry is up on rockets.com

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/kostas-papanikolaou-blog-entry-1

We can all laugh at the google translate version

Kostas Papanikolaou Blog: Entry 1

Transitioning to Houston, Meeting Teammates and Finding Fellow Greeks
    Posted: Sep 30, 2014

Kostas Papanikolaou made his blog debut with NBA GREECE and he will be sharing his thoughts and photos throughout the NBA season here on Rockets.com

Hi everyone,

From today and throughout the season we will communicate through my blog on 24 Media’s NBA GREECE (@nbahellas), which is home to the NBA in Greece. With help from journalist Nikos Papaioannou (@ndpapaioannou), who will carry my thoughts from his keyboard to all of you guys.

I am already in Houston for two weeks and I am trying to adjust in a new way of life and a new chapter of my career. Life in the US has a totally different rhythm in comparison with what I’m used in Greece. There are huge differences even in the way of life. Even going out for dinner, I have to plan in advance and not make it a last minute thing. Another difference is that downtown Houston is like a business center, so there is not too much to do there. I heard that the people in Houston prefer to live in the suburbs. Downtown Athens or Barcelona are much more crowded than downtown Houston, which is quieter, especially during the off hours.

Right now, I am in the process of house hunting. Still haven’t found a place. I guess I’m thinking with the European mentality. I would love to get a house next to the Toyota Center, like the hotel I stay at right now, which is next door. Since my family and friends will be visiting town a lot, I am looking for a place that will serve them as well, when I’m on the road. In the sense that they can go for coffee by foot or for a walk to the mall...

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

off the chain

off

the

chain

Please tell me Kostas actually talks like this

6. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Don't worry about his shooting. He's a lefty. He'll be just fine.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

1000% chance I'm going to love Big Papa

1 person likes this.
  8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

He do have a pretty good J

9. mikeyg603

mikeyg603 Member

I was listening to a Joey Dorsey interview, he kept referring to Kostas as "Pop"

I like it.

10. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

im picking him up in fantasy hoops - i bet he's a steal this year.

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

he looks slow

12. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Fair enough and makes sense, maybe not so out of left field? To be clear, Peja has no athletic ability so he could possibly be a next of kin. :grin:

13. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Oh and thanks for the link

14. bmd

bmd Member

lol lol

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Prefer the google translation. It sounded funnier. Except the off the chain part obviously

So this guy can stroke it, and is left handed.

Dadakota is gonna ride this guy hard.

Sorry, your career is over.

16. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

17. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

True, but he was working with Covington and our guy Troy :)

18. today

today Contributing Member

Bling Blang Blaow, how you like Papanikolaou?

19. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

The Rockets are paying him 4.8m which is supposedly the highest ever first year for a 2nd rounder - very strange for a Morey move.

He has a high motor and shot 60% 2p FG. Other than that though, he doesn't do anything particularly well. Will he prove his worth and pan out?

20. Remon

Remon Member

Ahem. We use the greek alphabet, of which both the cyrillic and the latin are a variation.