1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014-15] Jeremy Lin as a Los Angeles Laker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Jul 11, 2014.

1. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

"Jeremy Lin makes a big difference," Kobe Bryant said after the game. "He can create shots for others, somebody else that can penetrate and make plays for others, and put pressure on the defense."

2. SportsFanatic

SportsFanatic Member

Lin was our Mario Chalmers, his mistakes were magnified because he became the scapegoat. His first year here was a great season because expectations weren't high and the team just went out there and played because everyone was just out there trying to prove we were a team to be reckoned with. When Dwight came expectations immediately became championship and I think thats really when the pressure got to Lin. I think the team slowly started losing trust in him after he became a bench player and then he started to lose trust in himself. McHales trust was the biggest issue for Lin, you could tell that it rubbed Lin the wrong way and it could definitely be seen when Lin was on the court, he was overthinking things and making more mistakes then usual. With Lin you gotta take the good with the bad, that is you gotta understand he's a player thats going to create and relentlessly attack the basket but at the same time he's going to be turnover prone. McHale's trust was the biggest downfall to Lin but I truly believe that the expectations on Howard and Harden and the fact that they had just starting to build their relationship as teammates kind of led them to put the blame on Lin instead of themselves. In the end the pressure got to Lin and I think the best decision was to let him go. We played like the Miami Heat last year, always complaining about fouls and looking to the refs like the games were unfair when really I don't think Howard and Harden trusted their teammates enough and didn't do the best job of being a good role model to the rest of the team.

3. SportsFanatic

SportsFanatic Member

All I'm saying is it's hard to trust yourself when your coach doesn't believe in you and your teammates see that mistrust and begin to vent their frustrations because they have these extremely high expectations on you because they don't know how to blame each other. I know Howard and Harden took blame for their performances a lot but on the court it was a different story, I never once saw Howard get mad at Harden for his terrible defense but there were countless amount of times when Lin would be yelled at by multiple people. I just hope when the going gets tough this year, which it will, that the Rockets actually learn to be composed and to have trust in one another. I saw way too many times last year that panic set in and the teams personality just completely change when things went wrong, and thats not something championship teams do.

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

5. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

Lost trust after he became a bench player? He got relegated to one overnight It's not like a stretch of poor games throughout a few months resulted in him losing his spot.

6. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Got to love the idiots who keep posting that misleading clip especially the vine version. 99% of the people think it's a travel, but Lin dribbled the ball once after catching the pass, but it can't be seen because of the camera angle. The league even released a statement about the play saying it wasn't a travel.

7. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Another year (not even, it's the preseason) and the same boo hoo excuses come out. Why does Jeremy have to endure this? Why have his coaches forsaken him?

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's at worst average.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

There's actually a dribble in between those steps. The angle is perfect to where it looks like he just ran with the ball though lol.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

McHale played Lin 30 mpg. I am sure DMo and Canaan would have loved to have that kind of distrust.

11. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Yes and no. Would not have added up to that number if Beverley (and Harden) had spent less time injured.

Very curious who will spend most time as backup PG this year.

12. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Having watched games during the regular season, it wasn't McHale. Lin played passive a lot of the time on offense.

That was on him more than it is on the coach to get him involved.

13. Carl Herrera

Lin averaged 32.9 mpg as a starter last season and 25.5 off the bench. 25.5 mpg is still the kind of "lack of trust" that many players can only hope for.

Also, every team takes injuries-- the Rockets were no worse off on injuries than most teams. It is significant that the coach went with him as opposed to someone else when the need arose.

Lin also got plenty of touches in his minutes. His usage rate (which measured what % of possessions ended with a player's FGA, FTA or TO) was, for example, higher than that of Chandler Parsons.

Given the roster, the team gave Lin an appropriate amount of minutes and touches.

14. yunac010

yunac010 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SuitingUpTogether?src=hash">#SuitingUpTogether</a> to start tonight for the Lakers:
    PG: Ronnie Price
    SG: <a href="https://twitter.com/WayneElli22">@WayneElli22</a>
    SF: Wesley Johnson
    PF: <a href="https://twitter.com/MisterCBooz">@MisterCBooz</a>
    C: <a href="https://twitter.com/Bobby_Sacre">@Bobby_Sacre</a></p>&mdash; Los Angeles Lakers (@Lakers) <a href="https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/525105873467621376">October 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Scott has to be trolling Lakers fans.

15. "Snosrap

"Snosrap Member

Jlin relegated to the bench again

16. mig0s

mig0s Member

Nane one player on that roster that is not a scrub

17. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Probably due to playing minutes last night and coming back from injury. Kobe is relegated to the bench for the rest of the pre-season and I dont think Sacre has done anything to boost his playing time over guys like Jordan Hill or Ed Davis.

18. Carl Herrera

Kobe Bryant?

19. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

He probably mean "lineup" not "roster"

Also, I think Wesley Johnson can have a second career as a stretch 4

20. Carl Herrera

"Stretch 4"? This is crazy D'Antoni talk!