1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014-15] Jeremy Lin as a Los Angeles Laker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Jul 11, 2014.

1. archinkent

archinkent Member

So Parsons being an above average player makes it OK for him to be a douche after being traded. Alright, noted.

2. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

i think we need a new category, threads about ex players, stuffed in a side file.

That way we (I mean people who can't let go) can comment and argue all day long about players who have zero to do with our team.

First thread: Kyle Lowery as a Raptor .....

(Promise to self...never click this damn thing again ! )

3. VanityHalfBlack

I'd say he was highly overrated in NY and highly underrated in Houston.

4. watashi315

watashi315 Member

I don't know if it's right to say that he's highly overrated in NYC. During the Linsanity stretch, he was playing out of his mind. He even got better numbers than Jordan ever did. But that's of course just a very short stretch and not sustainable.

I think LA will normalize things.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

It doesn't matter how much money we gave him. He cost us ~8.4 mil per year on our cap. That wasn't too bad, but still a bit much in year 1 and it was way too much for what he gave us in year 2.

5/5/15 means nothing to fans only to Les and now the Lakers.

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Lin was not bad. He did a lot of good things at times for the Rockets. He also had a lot of really bad times in really crucial moments as well. All things considered, Jeremy Lin mostly did what we asked of him and that bears praise. He also improved every year, costly turnovers aside. If he was getting paid Parsons or PBev money, all of us would be in love with the guy IN SPITE of his Tebowesque fans. The fact of the matter is, a lot of stars misaligned for Lin; injuries, contract which huge last year payment, Harden trade, boneheaded mistakes in the playoffs. The accumulation of all that made Lin look really bad overall.

Truth be told, Lin did a lot of good for the Rockets in his role as a marginalized starter and subsequent role player and 6th man. If Harden shared PG duties and dedicated effort off the ball as well as on D, it could have been an entirely different type of team. Same as if McHale could actually coach a damn. Same as if Howard was more willing to run the PnR, something both him and Lin are so good at. History is history however and moot point at this time.

At the end of the day, Lin had to go. His increasing misfit and bloated last year payment demanded that. Our quest for a max player demanded that. Both parties have now moved on. LoF's have found a new home. Rockets fans driven mad by LoF's can let the trauma heal until we play LA and they invade us again. I won't personally wish him well as he is a Faker's player, but I do thank him for some of the good times he brought as a Rockets player.

1 person likes this.
  7. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Uhhh the cap meant nothing to houston during the 2 years he was here. Hence why we got Dwight while losing next to nothing. I think people just have to face the reality that is Houston got Lin for a very very cheap price. There's really no argument for it.

8. mikus

mikus Member

Lin either got paid 5M per year for his time in Houston or he was paid 8.4 per his cap number. Saying he was paid 8m per year and then saying that he's paid 15m this year in the same paragraph is factually incorrect and dishonest.

2 people like this.
  9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Year 1 true. Year 2 not true. To sign Dwight to his max we had to trade and cut useful players.

And really I don't think that's all that relevant. Your cap number isn't just about how much it is towards your own teams cap it also effects how tradeable a player is.

Again it wasn't his fault that his contract was the way it was, I don't hold it against him. It's just fact that his cap number matters, not his actual payout and his cap number was more than a player of his caliber should have.

10. Panda23

Panda23 Member

he was definitely overrrated in new york, the fact you mentioned the jordan comparison shows how the media can hype up a player. "Better numbers than Jordan! Shaq! Stockton!"

What it did was draw attention away from the fact that he was a very young and inexperienced basketball player that was playing in a system where his strengths were exaggerated and his weaknesses were mitigated.

dont give me this 23/24 years old crap. Players mature at different ages. and Lin spent 4 years in a weaker conference in the ivy league and was obviously still very raw.

I'll keep saying it like ive always said, a lot of the vitriol is due to the his hardcore fans who cast dispersions on players/coaches etc.

It seems that some people are just unable to seperate Lin from LOFS, and the fact that he even gets remotely the same amount of hate as Parsons who has played his post Houston PR job pathetically, talked **** about players, the city, shows how far down the rabbit hole some are.

11. supdudes

supdudes Member

Lin is a great player, and definitely belongs in the NBA.

Hoping to see more of him as a Laker, playing along side Randle Nash and Kobe.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Is LA cleaner than Houston?

13. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Are you offended? LOL...

Tinman, an obsessive Tmac/Lin hater, gets offended over a bible reference..

That just mean he cared. He obviously wanted to stay. His reaction was simply human nature.

It's apples and oranges type of situation compared to Parsons.

14. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Lin may set the record for most posts in a thread dedicated to an ex-Rockets player.

15. helpourselves

helpourselves Member

Very well said!

16. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lol at people still white knighting our garbage. I don't recall seeing any people supporting Rafer Alston when he was getting killed on here (I wonder why). See how that works? Much like Lin his fanbase will continue to be a huge joke.

17. supdudes

supdudes Member

"White knight"? Shut the hell up. Deriving inspiration from the one who weathered hardship and managed to stay humble throughout is called being a man.

Jeremy Lin has worked hard to get where he is today. He's a self made man, I support and respect that. That's as MGTOW as it gets.

18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Rustlemania.

Lol at being inspired by some scrub who doesn't even deserve an NBA roster spot.

19. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Your forced use of bodybuilding.com terms is kinda scrubby.

20. Panda23

Panda23 Member

[​IMG]