1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014-15] Jeremy Lin as a Los Angeles Laker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Jul 11, 2014.

1. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

It is obvious that I follow Lin's game closely and I hope he succeeds.

But there is just no excuse for him to lose starting job to Price. None.

How much has he improved for the last two seasons? A lot of ppl will say very little. But look at Bev now, still a lock down defender and he improves his offense efficiency tremendously. That is a player who truly appreciate the opportunity to play and start in the NBA.

It is a real shame how Lin wastes his opportunity like it is nothing. He may never gets the starting job ever again.

2. JuckTheFazz!

JuckTheFazz! Rookie

His tenure here was pretty okay. I can't judge the LA situation since I don't watch their games, but losing your starting gig to Price is really bad.

Jeremy, in Houston though, was solid. He did contribute enough as a spark off the bench and helped us while improving his shooting percentages to adapt to Harden. I can't see how he gets so much flack and hate.

Plus he was a class act and did not bitc* around when he was relegated to the bench. . Whether his performance met your expectations or not, Jeremy gave his best and was all about the team.

I cannot understand how guys like tinman and king1 take it personal when someone doesn't get a boner whenever Lin has a bad game.

Lin is a good bench player with upside and a random explosion factor. At least for us he was.

3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lol at me taking this personally. I'm not the one writing screen plays defending a scrub player

Lin has no upside. You guys are delusional. He is what he is no matter how hard you try to convince yourselves otherwise

4. Panda23

Panda23 Member

But coaches don't like that. more than anything they need consistency. Lin may win you one out of 5/6 games, but he can also lose you games.

During Linsanity, MDA had no option but to ride Lin all game, given he just hated Toney Douglas. There was NO other playmakers. When you've got a bonafide MVP candidate in Harden, and Kobe trying to shoot the lights out 24/7, Lin being a far inferior talent needs to fit whatever role the coach desires.

Additionally, he is very slow laterally. Sometimes he just gets beaten off the dribble way too easily. When you don't have a Tyson Chandler/Omer Asik to protect or mitigate your defensive deficiencies, you need better on-ball defenders. In any sport, rugby, whatever, if you can't defend, make tackles, stay in from of your man (bball) coaches HATE that.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I was looking at Lin's stats on the second game of a back to back this season. Wow, just horrendous.

5.3 points, 3.5 assists, 3 TO's, 2.3 Rebs, FG% 16.3, 3FG% 14.3

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

This is your basic issue.
    Once you come to understand that Ronnie Price IS, in fact, a better player than him, you might come to realize how silly the other things are that you are saying.

Lin had a hot streak for a couple of weeks. So did Walter Hermann. Hermann had 20ppg, 6rpg, an assist and a steal per game for a few weeks.
    But he's gone, a nobody, just like Lin.

Ronnie Price is a stayer. A 10 year veteran. Admittedly he's a 3rd string PG, but I hope that gives you the information you need to process where Lin is at???

7. JuckTheFazz!

JuckTheFazz! Rookie

Yep, and that's why he is a solid spark off the bench. 6th man players are usually inconsistent, but still important to the team. Lin filled that role well last season for us.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

He was a 6th round pick for me. :(

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

To be fair, if you give Lin 20 shots a game, he will look better.
    Give any player in the league 20 shots a game, they will put up stats. Inefficiently or efficiently.

Remember Evan Turner 20+ ppg in Philly? Lol. Inflated stats.

10. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Very true, Man, Turner is awful and he's still twice the player Lin could ever hope to be. Both will be out of the league in 5 years.

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Y1AtU4JfTbo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you remember him at all playing with the Rockets?

There was a stretch last season where he was just HORRID

<PRE>
    Rk Tm Opp GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS +/-

68 HOU UTA W (+7) 1 30:12 9 13 .692 1 1 1.000 2 6 0 0 2 3 24 -3
    69 HOU CLE W (+38) 1 20:12 2 7 .286 0 2 .000 1 6 0 0 3 2 4 +1
    70 HOU SAS W (+1) 1 26:44 2 8 .250 0 1 .000 2 5 2 1 4 3 6 -13
    71 HOU IND L (-9) 1 19:53 3 6 .500 1 2 .500 1 4 2 0 4 1 8 -13
    72 HOU MEM L (-9) 1 23:11 3 9 .333 0 1 .000 1 3 2 1 2 2 8 -14

73 HOU LAC W (+17) 1 31:20 4 10 .400 1 2 .500 0 3 0 1 6 4 15 +12</PRE>

13. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

His performance in this month is way worse than the horrifying stretch as mentioned in your post. He was not making any shots.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's not get a starting job if he's this inconsistent.

15. TheJet

TheJet Member

Aside from the huge financial boon he's received I feel bad for Lin. The kid is clearly trying hard and had zero chance to live up to the original hype. Now he's having a hard time living up to average expectations.

Overall I thought he was OK in Houston. I didn't want him in the game at crucial moments due to his propensity to cough up the ball or make bad decisions. But at other times he did hit big shots and have big games. It was just way too unpredictable.

Now in LA it looks like he's really taking a mental beating. Another demotion, arguably way more hurtful than the one in Houston. And Kobe isn't known for coddling players. Maybe the best thing for Lin is that he flies under the radar for the rest of the year and gets signed to a smaller market team for an average contract.

16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I think its more logical and rational for the Lakers to start to play more Clarkson after the AS break.

That means Lin could eventually have some DNP later in the season if he keep performing like this.

17. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

I am not a fan of Lin's basketball, so I am not biased towards him as you may have hinted in your post. Jeremy Lin had a full year of being a starter in Houston and still had better stats than any of the 10 years of Ronnie Price career. Yes Lin is as linconsistent as he gets, but even in his short tenure with the Lakers he is still having better stats than Price.

You could say Ronnie Price is the better player, but stats sure dont reflect that way.

Jeremy Lin is a 2nd string PG, Ronnie Price is a 3rd string PG. Lin is better than Price, but they are both bad. Just my opinion

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Lin is basically the JR Smith of pg's at the moment, because it seems like he can only succeed under very specific situation and team compositions. The rest of his value is basically a random spark off the bench that can once in a while give you big games, but cannot be relied on on a game to game basis on either side of the floor.

I don't think he will be out of the league, but I doubt he will ever be a starter in the NBA again from this point on unless he makes drastic improvement to his game.

19. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Did you actually go to bball reference and average his stats for all the games off back to backs?

I really hope this unhealthy obsession eventually stops when Lin ends up playing in China.

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

JR smith is offended