1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2013 World Series] Cardinals vs. Red Sox

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by J.R., Oct 19, 2013.

1. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Some will say it was a success, but the truth is it was beat by Monday Night's Vikings-Giants dumpster fire... let's see if it can top tonight's heavyweight matchup between Carolina and Tampa Bay (or Houston/San Antonio :)).

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Football beats EVERYTHING. Seriously, check among the 10 highest rated shows last year...like 6 of them are NFL football games. It's amazing.

The NBA and MLB are left to beat whatever else is in their time slot. When they do that, it's called a success. It makes sense for the network to pick it up and run it when they win the night.

But anything that goes up against the NFL loses.

3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Anyone have a solid stream? I have a friend who is in the UK and she says firstrowsports is blocked there

1 person likes this.
  4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Thanks man. I have to spread rep around before giving it to you again but good looking out. She's had to follow gamecast this whole time. Supposedly the UK has blocked a ton of stuff recently

5. astros123

astros123 Member

whats up with the awful commentating?

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Holy **** what an ending! :eek:

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Crazy finish! Unbelievable play by Pedroia, but too bad it came down to an interference.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sad to see a game end on that. Didn't look intentional, but I guess it doesn't matter. What a play by Pedroia.

9. cardpire

cardpire Member

Doesn't matter when Jim Joyce is on the bag, that's for sure.

Jim Joyce changes MLB history once again.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the fielder wasn't even on the third base line, strange way to call obstruction

11. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Didn't look intentional?

He clearly lifted his legs to trip him.

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

he didn't even trip over the bent legs or even come in contact with them. he was tripping the same way regardless.

i guess, per joe bucks comment, that the rule is "inadvertent or otherwise"?

seems like a complete horse***** way to end a game though.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It doesn't matter. Obstruction is called with intent or not. I'm just sad a game like that had to end that way. Let's not get into an argument of intent or not, when I doesn't matter, like I said in my post.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

I dont agree with the call either. Terrible way to end a game.

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

i wonder how many times in mlb history there have been 2 runners tagged out at home on the same play

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What a crazy ending to the game. Has to be one of the craziest for a world series.

In the end I think he would have scored had he not tripped Middlebrooks. So I guess with the rule being what it is, obstruction is a fair call.

I don't like the Sox, but it was a tough way for them to lose.

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

stupid question:

if a runner is standing on 3rd, the ball is in play, and the runner for some reason runs the bases backwards, and gets interfered with in between running from 3rd to 2nd. Does he then get awarded home?

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.

Rule 2.00 (Obstruction) Comment: If a fielder is about to receive a thrown ball and if the ball is in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the ball he may be considered "in the act of fielding a ball."

It is entirely up to the judgment of the umpire as to whether a fielder is in the act of fielding a ball. After a fielder has made an attempt to field a ball and missed, he can no longer be in the "act of fielding" the ball.

For example: If an infielder dives at a ground ball and the ball passes him and he continues to lie on the ground and delays the progress of the runner, he very likely has obstructed the runner.

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

What the hell was Middlebrooks supposed to do? Vanish into thin air?

There are too many idiotic rules in sports that should be settled by judgment by common sense combined with intent.