1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2013] What are you reading?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ScriboErgoSum, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I am currently reading The Tehran Initiative by Joel Rosenberg.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I had a different reaction. I was immediately drawn into that world of the near future. Relatively near, at any rate. Perhaps it was because I've been to Thailand, spending several days there. Thailand is a trippy place already. Thailand in this near future is insanely crazy, but I found it believable. I thought a world where energy had become rediculously expensive, and rare, along with rampant diseases wiping out genetically engineered food stocks, also creating new diseases killing untold millions of people around the globe, with radically rising sea levels thrown into the mix, was a very believable future outcome. That's what is scary about the novel. Much of it could happen.

I think you'll like it, although, as I pointed out, it is more than a bit frightening in its depiction of the future about 100+ years from now. It's a very immersive read. You get sucked into this crazy world that is possible, should the trends we're seeing now go really bad pretty quickly, and in the worst way. There's a lot of great science fiction out there, peleincubus, much of it discussed in Scribo's threads. I hope this novel gets you back into it. :)-

#62 Deckard, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure that it is, though I haven't seen that movie. Without all the back stories of the characters or those parts more than likely cut out of the movie, I'm sure it would be lacking.

The Man in the Iron Mask tidies up a bunch of stuff that the other books built on, as well as having it's own engaging story as the main part of the book. It does it all in a fascinating and engaging way. But I can't imagine enjoying the book as much without having read all the others first.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah having the back story for all of the characters in the book enhanced my enjoyment of the story so much more.

5. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

I want to read more books this year...was just too busy last year but I did get to read more books than I did in 2011.

I plan to read the Game of Thrones series this year.

I can't wait for the third book of Divergent series to come out later this year!!

6. SK34

SK34 Member

So I went to the library to get daemon, already dead, game of thrones, the lions of al and the library didn't have any of these books. I came out with the kill order and the ring of Solomon, and initiation. Have any of you read any of these books?

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I almost put it down after the 6-page sentence.

8. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

"All Men Are Mortal" by Simone de Beauvoir
    - 13th century dude drinks a potion that makes i him immortal

9. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

I'm currently reading "Tell The Wolves I'm Home".

Up next is "Fault in Our Stars" Heard many rave reviews about this book.

10. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

11. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Plowed through the final Wheel of Time book, A Memory of Light.

The ending was very good and fit well, although overall the book was far from the best of the series. I have about as many complaints as compliments, but overall it was a solid end to a reading adventure I began 17 years ago. Without a doubt one of the best "epics" ever created and put to paper. If anyone else has read it, I would not mind some spoiler-tagged convo.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Kill Decision - Daniel Suarez

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The Hot Kid - Elmore Leonard

14. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

You've convinced me to at least read the final trilogy in the next few months. I don't think I have the time or energy to plow through the whole series again. I read Eye of the World as a senior in high school back in 1991, and I'm mighty curious how the whole tale comes to a close. I'm very relieved to hear that you thought it was a good ending. There's nothing worse than an epic series that derails in the final act.

15. 713

713 Member

Having to read the Cruicble for school. Sooo gayy

16. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Will be curious to see what you think of this one. Really enjoyed his first 2 books.

17. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

SnowCrash - Odd book

18. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Like I said, I have my complaints about the last book but they're only tangentially related to how the whole thing resolves itself (and sometimes not at all). I hope you enjoy them.

19. bobrek

About half way through. To me it is as entertaining as Daemon and Freedom(TM).

20. bobrek

Neal Stephenson is an interesting author. Have you read any of his other stuff?