1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013 Poison Pill contract candidates?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, May 13, 2013.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

http://basketball.about.com/od/nba-cba-glossary/g/Poison-Pill-Contract.htm

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8589693/nba-free-agents-2013-2014

notable RFAs:

Jeff Teague
    Eric Maynor
    Timofey Mozgov
    Darren Collison
    Brandon Jennings
    Chase Budinger
    Nikola Pekovic
    Tyreke Evans

The idea is to find a year where that team will be in cap hell and offer a contract with a balloon payment in that year. Looking at the Sham Sports team salaries, I don't see any obvious candidates. Last year was a bit unique in that both Chicago and New York had significant salary allocated for the next few years.

2. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

I thought it was only for second round picks with 3 years exp. in the league?

3. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Dwight Howard

4. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Dwight Howard is unrestricted I think.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

These "poison pill" contracts are only permitted to one- or two- year veterans.

Former first round picks are NOT eligible for these contracts. None of the players in the OP's list are eligible.

Omer Asik and Landry Fields were rare instances of this last year, as former second round picks who were not signed to longer-term deals by the teams that drafted them using a portion of the MLE, a mistake by the team (especially by the Bulls, given the initial expectations for Asik). For instance, had the Rockets not had the foresight to sign Chandler Parsons to a long-term deal using a sliver of cap room in 2011, he would likely be the recipient of a "poison pill" contract this summer. We may see some of these instances in the future, although it will be pretty rare.

The Jeremy Lin situation (undrafted, waived twice, exploding onto the scene with Linsanity) is one the league will not likely see for a VERY long time.

6. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

You can't use a Poison pill on him, but Nikola Pekovic is gonna get paid by someone. and who ever does would be pretty smart.

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I think the idea of the provision giving a major advantage to the team issuing the contract is overstated, it's purpose seems to be to prevent teams from massively undersigning someone to fit them into cap room. Imagine someone like Prokhorov if he could go around issuing 5-5-15-15 rfa contracts with his i couldn't give a rats ass about the luxury tax in years 3 and 4 attitude, instead it makes him take a 10-10-10-10 hit.

8. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I was just yoking around. He's an unrestricted, you right. He will get 5 year max from LA or 4 yr max from anyone else.

9. mattlivin05

mattlivin05 Member

Couldn't we poison pill budinger. I miss Chase & his 3 pt stroke. I think he would be a nice fit in this offense.

10. mattlivin05

mattlivin05 Member

The reason I ask about budinger is because he was a 2nd rd pic

11. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

No ex-rockets allowed.

THIS IS A NEW AGE.

+ clutch fans really gotta get over it.

12. mattlivin05

mattlivin05 Member

Tell that to Aaron brooks

13. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Yeah. I like how he played against OKC.
    Pity to see him go.
    2.5m for a 3rd string PG. Not gonna happen.
    Gotta clear room for the big dog.

14. mattlivin05

mattlivin05 Member

Oh I totally agree with you. I'm just saying if we can poison pill budinger on a cheap long term rate ala parson's contract enough where the other team would not want to match it and also not ruining are chances to get the big stars. Kinda like what delfino had with us this season & just use a portion of our mid level exception.

15. duteman

duteman Member

this guy is a beast...if he backs up Omer it'd be game over for our opponents Center spot

Nikola Pekovic

16. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Wow. It's like no one read my earlier post in this thread.

NO ONE WHO ANYONE IN THIS THREAD HAS SUGGESTED IS ELIGIBLE FOR ONE OF THESE "POISON PILL" CONTRACTS!!!

People, if you don't want to take the time to understand how these "poison pill" contracts work, then please just forget you ever heard of them. This sort of contract will be relevant so rarely that those of us who understand how this stuff works can just notify you when it is applicable.

Once again, if a player has played in the NBA for more than (even just parts of) two seasons, then he is not eligible for one of these "poison pill" contracts.

(Sorry for the rant, but it seems that my good faith attempts to explain this issue to those in this thread have fallen on deaf ears.)

17. Asian Sensation

/thread

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

(of the likely candidates) the best player from the 2011 or 2012 second round is clearly Parsons who's obviously not eligible, and just scanning the list it looks pretty bleak. Maybe the fake Isiah Thomas (the real Isaiah Thomas) ...

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Possible Poison Pill candidates:

Andrew Goudelock - LAL
    Pablo Prigioni lol - NYK

20. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Nice attempt, since at least Thomas would qualify if he were a free agent; but much like Chandler Parsons, Thomas is locked up for next season with Sacramento. He will not be eligible for a "poison pill" contract next year when he becomes a RFA.

Yes, Goudelock and Prigioni are both eligible for "poison pill" contracts; but as your "lol" indicated, neither is likely to receive offers approaching anywhere near poison pill territory. I doubt the Arenas Rule even kicks in for either of those players.