1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013 NBA Draft is extremely underrated

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hoopster325, Dec 28, 2014.

1. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

I think everyone jumped the gun on this draft because there wasn't one obvious elite guy. Overall the 2013 draft right now is starting to look pretty good. Still a lot of unproven guys but I think a number of them will end up being starters in the NBA, which is better than most drafts where loads of players flame out quickly.

Potential Stars:
    - Schroder (guy can flat out ball, still needs another year of seasoning though)
    - Giannis (could be a top 10 player in the league if he ever hits his potential)
    - Mason Plumlee (potential 20/10 guy)

Likely solid starters in the league throughout their career:
    - Michael Carter Williams
    - Victor Oladipo
    - Kelly Olynyk
    - Shabazz Muhammed
    - Steven Adams
    - Gorgui Dieng

Still raw but have shown some skills and potential this year:
    - Andre Roberson
    - Rudy Gobert
    - Ben McClemore
    - Kentavious Caldwell Pope
    - Alex Len
    - Trey Burke
    - Nerlens Noel
    - Otto Porter
    - Cody Zeller

2. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Also, as of right now, the 2013 draft is looking infinitely better than the "loaded" 2014 draft, which is underwhelming to say the least.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Wiggins' potential alone makes the 14' draft better. Nobody expected him to be MJ or Lebron off the bat...but the kid is going to be scary good imo. Also, Parker got injured, and I felt he would translate really well as the season progressed.

4. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Randle and embiid are also hurt.

2014 is a much better draft, drafts always look significantly better in yr 2 than yr 1, it's rare anyone comes in as a rookie and dominates, look back on thy see 2 drafts in 3 to 4 yrs and see which is better

5. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

With how young a lot of these guys are now, that get drafted, I think it's best to wait a few years to figure out if something was a "bad" draft or not.

6. what

what Member

You mean to tell me you'd take Wiggins over the Greek Freak?

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

OP, your 3 lists aren't impressive and don't make your case at all.

8. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Yes..

9. what

what Member

lol, glad you're not a gm. you must thing wiggins is jesus shuttlesworth

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I can't believe how so many GM's including our boy in Philly blew it so hard on Greek Freak. At the very least, he should have been a top 10 pick on freakish size alone.

11. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

12. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Look at the numbers for these players....I'd list them but it would take me too long.

Mason Plumlee since getting the starting job has been playing extremely well. Same with Shabazz Muhammad, who may end up winning Most Improved Player if he continues playing as well as he has.

Prior to 2013 draft people thought of this class as a bunch of scrubs who'd be borderline role players in the NBA. This class is still raw but there are a lot of players that teams are still high on, and a lot of guys who are starting to turn the corner.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'll repeat the story here for about the 4th time: When his drafted stock started soaring, most GM's wanted to stow him in Europe for at least a year because he wasn't ready for the NBA. He then publicly said that wouldn't happen. His draft stock proceed to sink.

He almost certainly would have been a top 5 pick if he didn't insist on joining the NBA right away.

14. what

what Member

that doesn't make a logical sense why he wasn't drafted. most teams will reach for talent like him whenever they have a chance to get him.

please don't tell me that every gm knew how good he was and ignore drafting him because he was one year from being ready.

hell, the entire draft last year wasn't ready to join the nba: nothing but kids in the draft. Still didn't stop them making wiggins #1.

15. sew

sew Member

30 games into their first season. Heh

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Agree. 2013 still looks like it will suck in history

OP does not make a convincing case to change that concensus opinion

17. Shaud

Shaud Member

Of course 2013 looks better than 2014 because a good amount of guys drafted this year are hurt.