1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Jul 2, 2012.

1. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Sean Manaea is intriguing. It will be interesting to see if the cape cod numbers are SSS or a sign of things to come. A dominant lefty would fit well with the current minor league strengths/weaknesses.

2. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Law recently put out his top 30 for the 13 draft and the top five mirror BA's pretty closely. Appel and stanek are one and two followed by Austin Wilson at three. Wilson is a corner OF from Stanford who has big tools including big potential power, but also is a bit of a project offensively with a lot of swing and miss in his game. Manaea is at four and meadows rounds out the top five.

Some others intriguing names for me are Clint Frazier, a hs outfielder, at 10; kohl Stewart, a hs rhp, at 8; and karsten whitson, a college rhp, at 27. Frazier might be the best pure hitter is the class, but at 6'0 180 probably doesn't have the classic physical projection or body that scouts like. Whitson was a top ten overall selection two year ago who didn't sign. He had a good freshman year, but struggled with injuries this past year. A big junior year might put him in the mix for a top three overall selection. Stewart is a two sport star that has a qb scholarship from tamu for football. He probably won't be in the mix for #1 but if you're looking a potential first rounders to fall bc of signability, ala McCullers, keep an eye on him.

#62 DoitDickau, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I wouldn't draft a corner outfielder/Stanford batter first overall. That has trouble written all over it.

4. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Right now I'm thinking Appel, Stanek, or Austin Meadows. Obviously ridiculously early. I'll revisit next Spring.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Whats not ridiculous is that we will have the #1 pick and the biggest pool once again next year.

If we were picking even as low as 5th or 6th, yes it would be too early. But with the #1, we want to see as long a track record on everyone as possible.

Sure makes things easier when you dont have to guess what the teams ahead of you are going to do, and then have to determine what will be left by the time your pick comes along. No Sir. No guessing.

6. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Anything but a middle infielder is a good pick, but I'd prefer a pitcher. Same strategy as last year and get the #1 pick well under slot.

If the team doesn't significantly improve next year, I know I'll want Carlos Rodon in 2014 though.

7. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

The priority is get the BPA at #1. If there is a clear cut #1, he won't be going under-slot.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

There wont be. Appel for $6M.

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Or else.

10. juicystream

I'm praying someone will step up, but making Boras look stupid is nice consolation.

11. Buck Turgidson

Nothing will change in the next 6 months!

12. juicystream

[rquoter] Jared (Las Vegas): If youre the Astros GM, who do you take Appel/Stanek/Manaea?

Jim Callis: As of today, I'd take Appel. Would be interesting if he wound up being an Astro like most of us expected, just a year later.[/rquoter]

http://ht.ly/dluk0

13. htownbball

htownbball Member

I like the early reviews on Manaea. 6'4 lefty who throws 93-96mph and touches 98mph? Needs to refine his secondary pitches, but dang that's a nice package right there.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I bet Luhnow wants the 2013 #1 pick to sign under slot. It must be tough being Appel.

15. juicystream

It's always tough living with $6 Million.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yes, he definitely gets that it's about the overall draft and not just that first pick especially when it's not a Strasburg level guy.

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This is true. Jeff was beaming when I talked to him back in June after the draft. He absolutely loved having the additional $ to spread some high dollar bets around, rather than risk it all on a college RHP not named Strasburg.

For what its worth, Stanek is a fierce competitor that pitches his best in big games. Competitive nature and ability to step up in big games is something that doesn't always show up in a stat line, but something I place huge value on. Stanek's got it. He has serious animation on the mound after big outs. He has the stuff to back it up, too, with a fastball that sneaks into the mid 90s and a monster curve.

I've seen both him and Appel pitch, and I like Stanek's fire better than Appel's.

One guy to keep an eye on for a little later in the draft -- John Simms RHP from Rice. Sits in the low 90s with good movement, solid breaking stuff and also the ability to step up huge in big games.

1 person likes this.
  18. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I saw a video on the Samoan kid, he's no slouch either. Killed the Cape Cod league.

19. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I'm stupid guys so bare with me. There are 12 games left and we have a 10 game lead over the nearest teams in the cubs and rockies. So does that mean all we have to do is lose two more games and we clinch the first pick?

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

yeah, a combo of us winning and them losing 2. or 3, rather to any tiebreakers.

but, the easier way of looking at it is: if they played out the scenario a zillion times, we wouldn't "lose" that lead once.